A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8L with 57000 miles, should i keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I am buying the parts myself as its cheaper and then the labor is another story but they do a good job each time. That 2,000 dollars was both parts and labor. And my mistake, its for both upper and lower control arms and ball joints. I am going the whole way.
got it. In that case its not too bad. The labor isn't very hard for both lower and upper control arms if you have the right tools. Id probably do them myself if it were me, but I guess part of the reason for that is because i enjoy working on my cars. Otherwise taking it in for the work is always better i guess as its one less headache and if something does go wrong you can always take its back
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all that info.
But i won't pay those $9700.
That's insane.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowaudi
Thanks for all that info.
But i won't pay those $9700.
That's insane.
I agree.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Banned

$9700 is insane. Better question would be has it been reliable and have you kept services up to date. If it has been reliable and there is nothing really pressing in the maintenance department, I would say keep it. I have 2 other cars (Mercedes S63 and CL600) that people say are unreliable and expensive to maintain. If you keep up with services and stay on schedule with maintenance, they aren't that bad. If you drop off the maintenance schedule, it usually leads to a downward spiral.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I Agree.
About the Maintenance of this car,
I'm always on schedule,
Some things went bad:
New MMI screen, 1 relay of MMI screen and 1 switch of MMI screen.
cost $ 1100 for all.
But i'm thinking about the future with this car.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ruf63
$9700 is insane. Better question would be has it been reliable and have you kept services up to date. If it has been reliable and there is nothing really pressing in the maintenance department, I would say keep it. I have 2 other cars (Mercedes S63 and CL600) that people say are unreliable and expensive to maintain. If you keep up with services and stay on schedule with maintenance, they aren't that bad. If you drop off the maintenance schedule, it usually leads to a downward spiral.
The CL has never left me stranded, but I have had to put a lot into it to catch it up. It's great now, just in time to sell it. If all the work I've done, including surprises and maintenance, were done at the dealer, I'd have been looking at $16-18k according to WIS.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack88
The CL has never left me stranded, but I have had to put a lot into it to catch it up. It's great now, just in time to sell it. If all the work I've done, including surprises and maintenance, were done at the dealer, I'd have been looking at $16-18k according to WIS.
I thought that would get a rise out of you. I actually haven't had mine very long and am in the process of bringing the services up to my spec. (kind of OCD but I change all the fluids, rotors and pads, etc. as soon as I get a car I plan on keeping for a few years just to have a baseline) To my point to the OP. The ABC system on the CL600 people deem unreliable and expensive but is probably the best suspension I have ever had performance wise. People with low mile cars have issue with lines blowing, clogged distribution blocks etc. when fixed at the dealer or indy are expensive to fix. I have an acquaintance who has a 2003 with 165k miles on it that he bought new and has never had a problem except 1 damper went bad. When I asked why there are so many people have ABC failures and he really hasn't had any, his answer was very easy. "Change the damn ABC fluid every 20k miles or 2 years and it will be as reliable as anything". IMO maintenance is the key to reliability on any modern car. By the way GLWS.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ruf63
I thought that would get a rise out of you. I actually haven't had mine very long and am in the process of bringing the services up to my spec. (kind of OCD but I change all the fluids, rotors and pads, etc. as soon as I get a car I plan on keeping for a few years just to have a baseline) To my point to the OP. The ABC system on the CL600 people deem unreliable and expensive but is probably the best suspension I have ever had performance wise. People with low mile cars have issue with lines blowing, clogged distribution blocks etc. when fixed at the dealer or indy are expensive to fix. I have an acquaintance who has a 2003 with 165k miles on it that he bought new and has never had a problem except 1 damper went bad. When I asked why there are so many people have ABC failures and he really hasn't had any, his answer was very easy. "Change the damn ABC fluid every 20k miles or 2 years and it will be as reliable as anything". IMO maintenance is the key to reliability on any modern car. By the way GLWS.
Thanks! And that will always get a rise out of me. Most of the common CL issues I've had, shortly after the initial purchase, even though it is a low mile car. I did change all the fluids, including the ABC. It's an easy DIY job, I don't know why more don't give it a thought. Wonderful car when everything is working, though, and a beauty to boot.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Nice!

Originally Posted by Crowaudi
Hi Audi owners,

i have 2012 Audi A8L with sport package, rear entertaintment package, and most extras, except night vision.
My audi insurance just ended this month,
they want $9700 for another 4 years.
Can you guys tell me the risks that involve having this car without insurance, and also what parts have you guys changed from this point to 120k?

Thank you. Rear entertaintment

Off-topic, but: Your car looks cleaner than a m*****f*****!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all,
For your answers.