A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate holder

Recently purchased a lightly used '17 A8L 3.0 from a PA dealer. PA does not require front plates, but my home state of NJ does, so the car came without a holder and the dealer spaced on installing one before I left. Local dealer, who I am not a fan of from numerous negative experiences with my last A8L, claims there's a large variety of brackets and no way he can tell which bracket I need. Took this up with dealer I purchased car from, who mailed me a bracket they took off a "similar car" they were selling in PA; I've looked at it but some of the holes in the bracket do not line up with starter holes holes in the solid back-plate behind the grill, and there are two metal tabs that extend from the lower section of the bracket that cause the bracket to not sit correctly.

Can anyone suggest an aftermarket bracket which might work? Seems the Platypus (mount in towing hook) is the only option I can find, from another post that seems to be a viable option. May want to go with the offset look, I think that's OK in NJ. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timing is everything. I too just purchased an S8 from a price sale in PA 2 weeks ago. I actually flew down and drive it back to MA.
No license plate frame for the front and I need one. I'll start looking and if I find something I will post. Beautiful car. Congratulations.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful car. I would never tell anyone to break the law but I'm in Maryland, front plate required and have it in my trunk. I've been told to put it on but never given a citation. Still in the trunk. .🤣👍
Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your responses. Regarding just leaving it off, unfortunately I live in a town with somewhat aggressive police department that looks for reasons to pull everyone over. I've already been pulled over twice, both times in my town, managed to evade tickets by explaining I was having issue getting bracket installed but last time was told if he was going to let is pass with warning but in another week he'd be issuing a ticket if I didn't have it installed. Went with teh Platypus, fairly easy to install (once I figured out how to pop out tow hook cover), and I think it looks better than a plate installed in the center of the grill. ccap here's a picture if you're interested...

Old 04-25-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Fortunately, I live in Nebraska, where we can opt out of having a front plate!

Unfortunately, I live in Nebraska, where the State charges you $100.60 to opt out of the front plate. Each year.

Le sigh.....

But, it looks SO much better without it!!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check out these guys...

Custom License Plates - Adhesive license plate replica

They can make it non reflective as well, if you ask.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SWelsch
Beautiful car. I would never tell anyone to break the law but I'm in Maryland, front plate required and have it in my trunk. I've been told to put it on but never given a citation. Still in the trunk. .🤣👍
I am in Ohio where it is required to have a license plate on the front and back. Since 2014 I have kept my front license plate in the trunk and have never been pulled over for it specifically.
However...I think it saved me a speeding ticket.

I was speeding, but the officer and I started chatting about guns [go figure? weird...I don't even own one, but my wife does...], and he chose to give me a ticket just for the license plate [$25] which was no points on my record and no ding on my insurance..I have kept them in the trunk ever since...still no ticket.

btw, I don't like the look on the front but if you gotta', you gotta'.....