A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads Up Display Coding A8 UK 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

On last couple of posts, I have both factory HUD and lane assist on a USA spec. 2015 D4 S8.

Active lane assist would need additional hardware--it isn't just a software change for at least USA. In particular, there is an additional camera as the most obvious one up by the inside center mirror. In turn that also causes the windshield/windscreeen to be a different part #. Not sure if there is other hardware too.

USA HUD does not integrate cruise control at all. It shows current speed, Nav. related turns when a destination is chosen, icon for following too close and the Night Vision warning icons for large animals and people.USA flavor does not show traffic signs either, though I understand that is in Europe. I think that is because of the variety of signs we have in USA and lack of full standardization. I think that function depends on the lane assist camera to find them, so it could be the camera is there in Europe. We do get a speed limit display, but that is only on the MMI screen and the data comes in from a separate feed tied to GPS location. For adaptive cruise, it shows around the speedo for the set speed and in the center display area for tracking and distance setting. Default distance setting can also be selected in MMI as well as how quickly it responds in speeding up or slowing.

So far we don't have a lot of non-USA members if there is a different answer, a guess is it might be auf Deutsch on a German Audi board. The last generation C7 A6 is pretty similar to the D4 if that helps located something from European owners, though the HUD in that does show another item or so in addition to what the USA D4 has.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-02-2019 at 05:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (07-10-2021)
Old 04-02-2019, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
On last couple of posts, I have both factory HUD and lane assist on a USA spec. 2015 D4 S8.

Active lane assist would need additional hardware--it isn't just a software change for at least USA. In particular, there is an additional camera as the most obvious one up by the inside center mirror. In turn that also causes the windshield/windscreeen to be a different part #. Not sure if there is other hardware too.

USA HUD does not integrate cruise control at all. It shows current speed, Nav. related turns when a destination is chosen, icon for following too close and the Night Vision warning icons for large animals and people.USA flavor does not show traffic signs either, though I understand that is in Europe. I think that is because of the variety of signs we have in USA and lack of full standardization. I think that function depends on the lane assist camera to find them, so it could be the camera is there in Europe. We do get a speed limit display, but that is only on the MMI screen and the data comes in from a separate feed tied to GPS location. For adaptive cruise, it shows around the speedo for the set speed and in the center display area for tracking and distance setting. Default distance setting can also be selected in MMI as well as how quickly it responds in speeding up or slowing.

So far we don't have a lot of non-USA members if there is a different answer, a guess is it might be auf Deutsch on a German Audi board. The last generation C7 A6 is pretty similar to the D4 if that helps located something from European owners, though the HUD in that does show another item or so in addition to what the USA D4 has.
My biggest letdown with the D4 A8 was the lack of content available in the HUD. My 2012 A6 Prestige had the HUD, and ACC was integrated in the HUD on that car. It still makes no sense why the flagship facelifted 2015 A8 did not three model years later.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have made the same bad experience after „upgrading“ from my 2012 A7 to my 2017 S8: instead of having more information in my S8, which has all the available assistants (lane assist, adaptive cruise control, etc.) built in, I was very surprised not even finding the adaptive cruise control icon or the lane assist icon in my S8 HUD. At the beginning I thought it should only be a question of coding but after many hours of VCDS recoding (see posts above) I gave up. The HUD in the A8/S8 is obviously not the same as the HUD in the A6/A7 4G. Audi says that the reason for lack of full integration into the HUD in the A8 is the more curved windshield in the A8 which worsens the projection in a not Audi quality approved manner. Besides: I have the European S8. So it´s not a U.S. problem only.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Not making excuses, but my general take is the way this upside down sort of result (relative to D4 S8/A8 vs C7 A/S/RS6 and 7) came to be is at the intersection of Audi's product life cycles and the TDI mess. Back on D3 and 4, each of those new generations preceded the C body generation change by a year or two. C body would largely get trickle down new stuff from D body, and some improvements they came up with from the D body roll out. They would catch those up into the D body by the facelift usually. But in the D4 case, the planned facelift was just in front of when the TDI mess hit the fan. Here they had to fix a seriously botched trunk design, which is unusual to get into having to tweak body level issues beyond trim stuff. They further basically tried to lie and evade that they--Audi in particular--had actually doctored the 3.0TDI too, so it was not just a "VW" thing with the four cylinder ones. They originally thought/planned the D5 would be out even around when the final tweaks to the C body (informally called 7.5) were done, so they would catch it all up and leapfrog on the D5. Then throw in a couple of years of D5 intro delay as it all added up; a realization Tesla (then the Model S) was eating their lunch in a lot of markets and that the competition was no longer just a Merc S or a BMW 7; a lot of waffling on autonomous and slowness to grasp that was also a big part of the Tesla success (whether safe or not); and a realization (still in the making) that maybe the D body was sort of dead ending relative to what is now the Q8 SUV shift, and so on.

D4 is great car in many ways, and since I waited until post facelift to buy in, it was a clear step up from D3. I left the C body after my 2000 A6 4.2. But the life cycle has not been well managed in recent years and they have has a lot of distractions--variously due to seriously wrong behavior, corporate arrogance in not seeing huge market shifts timely, and thinking they could bluff and PR their way out of a lot. Competition and other factors have shortened life cycles in automotive--especially "tech"--and playing it the opposite direction came home to roost here.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-04-2019 at 12:35 PM.
09S5 (07-10-2021)
Old 04-09-2019, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered a second hand A6 HUD and try to install it in my A8 next week. Hopefully it will show all available assistants like lane assist, adaptive cruise control, etc. my A8 HUD.
I will keep you updated.

Last edited by mmi.drachten; 04-21-2019 at 07:27 AM.
09S5 (07-10-2021)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will you do that work by yourself? Take the windshield out to change the HUD?
Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

By myself. The windshield does not have to be removed. The HUD comes in 2 parts. The upper part of plastic (+ small frame) can be removed.

Once removed, the lower alumium body with the projector, mirrors and pcb can be removed out of the dashboard.

Last edited by mmi.drachten; 04-22-2019 at 01:12 AM.
09S5 (07-10-2021)
Old 04-09-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, great! Looking forward reading your post of the result!
Old 04-20-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Final success!
My common sense was right ;-)

After I had exchanged my A8 HUD (pcb) board into the A6 HUD (pcb) board, the desired symbols appeared!

Last edited by mmi.drachten; 04-21-2019 at 07:29 AM.
09S5 (07-10-2021)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The result is above my expections.
A fine-tuning by changing the shape of the image through the "Callebration" menu can improve the shape slightly.

Therefore I need this security login code.
Does someone know where to find the security login code of 82 heads up display?

Quick Reply: Heads Up Display Coding A8 UK 2016