A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI/nav updates

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Are you guys really sure Audi Connect w/ the Google overlay is even updating the maps? I have my doubts it does anything but paint pretty aerial overlays on the screen, plus feed street view here and there. That is, when it starts, you see the baseline car map, and then over a few minutes (w/ a good connection) the photo layer gets integrated.

Has anyone specifically tried an area with known road construction changes to see what happens if you toggle back and forth between Google Earth and baseline maps? That would be the acid test it seems to me.

Below is what the MMI manual says. Sounds like a layer to me, not a replace. BTW, back to my earlier reply, Connect in this context (w/ Google Earth) is not what I was describing on the C7.5's. There the base map layer stored on the drive is being updated if done either OTA or via conventional download w/ the files on a stick.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Your idea about the system seems much more likely. I know I have the option to switch between the two, but without connect, only the color of the overlay changes, and no satellite coverage.

so I need to figure out how to update the base map
Old 05-31-2017, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Are you guys really sure Audi Connect w/ the Google overlay is even updating the maps? I have my doubts it does anything but paint pretty aerial overlays on the screen, plus feed street view here and there. That is, when it starts, you see the baseline car map, and then over a few minutes (w/ a good connection) the photo layer gets integrated.

Has anyone specifically tried an area with known road construction changes to see what happens if you toggle back and forth between Google Earth and baseline maps? That would be the acid test it seems to me.

Below is what the MMI manual says. Sounds like a layer to me, not a replace. BTW, back to my earlier reply, Connect in this context (w/ Google Earth) is not what I was describing on the C7.5's. There the base map layer stored on the drive is being updated if done either OTA or via conventional download w/ the files on a stick.
From personal experience as recently as yesterday, I believe you are correct. It is not truly online, real time Google Maps and certainly not Google Earth. Having recently moved to the Hilton Head area, the influx of retirees is staggering, resulting in new roads being built constantly. Driving to the Island yesterday, I switched to Google Maps and it definitely showed an overlay and in part of the trip, the image was in the Intercoastal Waterway as a new flyover connection is now in use from the mainland to the Island. Wierd to see a road "being built" on my Nav screen as I drove over what was marshland in reality. But, there was certainly no update, just an image.