A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo oil screen replacement and pcv valve on 2013 A8l 4.0t with 76k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidA
A review of my records for 2013 D4 4.0L- now at 90k miles -
Note - mileage range 71 to 83k miles

Mobil 1 every ~500 miles. Turbo screens not replaced yet, should it be done?
PCV valve replaced under Warranty/TSB. *replace again?

Y water pump connector replaced CPO/Warranty. Cooling lines/hoses replaced 73k miles CPO/Warranty

Oil separator replaced CPO warranty

Let me know your thinking on these...

Thanks
DavidA
'13 A8L 4.0L
40+ states
Yes, I don't think changing the oil more often will change anything with the screen. Lots of people with the 4.0t who changed oil often and on top of that had low mileage cars still ended up with turbo failure. Save your self the headache in the future and have a good indy shop do it! The old screen is very restrictive and is a poor design.
The following 2 users liked this post by AudiMaster Tech:
09S5 (01-24-2022), Jeff Goldman (01-08-2020)
Old 11-24-2019, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

From the photo of your « clogged severely » oil screen, it looks to me like there's an oil film in there and some miscellaneous particles. But they are sparse and it certainly doesn't look clogged to the point of oil being restricted. Was it really clogged severely to the point of creating an oil restriction?
Old 12-09-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Surreel
From the photo of your « clogged severely » oil screen, it looks to me like there's an oil film in there and some miscellaneous particles. But they are sparse and it certainly doesn't look clogged to the point of oil being restricted. Was it really clogged severely to the point of creating an oil restriction?
Yes it was, it doesn't look like it in the photos but once you hold it up to a light source you can see that the whole filter is filled with debris. That's why there are so many turbo failures on the 4.0t with this old style screen because once it gets clogged you lose oil to your turbos. The new screen has a much less restrictive design.
The following 3 users liked this post by AudiMaster Tech:
09S5 (01-24-2022), Jeff Goldman (01-08-2020), Road Dawg (10-22-2020)
Old 12-14-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMaster Tech
Yes it was, it doesn't look like it in the photos but once you hold it up to a light source you can see that the whole filter is filled with debris. That's why there are so many turbo failures on the 4.0t with this old style screen because once it gets clogged you lose oil to your turbos. The new screen has a much less restrictive design.
What if you remove the screen completely?
Old 12-14-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BASARAB
What if you remove the screen completely?
Your engine will burn oil and you may face other issues in the long run but there is a person on YouTube who did it with his S6 but I would just replace it.
BASARAB (12-15-2019), Road Dawg (10-22-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Early" screen replacement prudent?

Yes, I don't think changing the oil more often will change anything with the screen. Lots of people with the 4.0t who changed oil often and on top of that had low mileage cars still ended up with turbo failure. Save your self the headache in the future and have a good indy shop do it! The old screen is very restrictive and is a poor design.
Wondering if you would have the same suggestion in my situation. I just acquired a 2013 S8 with only 21,000 miles. From your comments, I gather that you'd suggest replacing the screen regardless of mileage -- i.e., might as well do it now and have a better screen providing better oil flow from now on out, as opposed to waiting.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-08-2020, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman
Wondering if you would have the same suggestion in my situation. I just acquired a 2013 S8 with only 21,000 miles. From your comments, I gather that you'd suggest replacing the screen regardless of mileage -- i.e., might as well do it now and have a better screen providing better oil flow from now on out, as opposed to waiting.
Welcome to the most epic and annoying car you will ever own! But seriously, I love the hell out of my '13 S8 and I am sure you will too.

The day after I drove my S8 home I had it in the shop to replace the oil screen and PCV valve preventatively. I bought the car with 399xx miles on the ODO and the old oil screen was so fowled that there was only about a drinking straw sized area that was letting oil through. I have seen S8's with less than 10k on the ODO that have blown the turbos. I HIGHLY recommend you get the car to an independent European specialty shop to get that oil screen replaced. The dealership will overcharge for labor.
The following 3 users liked this post by WhiskeyZ:
09S5 (01-24-2022), Road Dawg (10-22-2020), Rob Ahler (10-25-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Goldman
Even though my 13 A8l had the original screen for 76k miles with no damage to the turbos I would definitely do it as soon as you can. It's a weird problem because sometimes the screen fails early but sometimes during higher mileage. The cost to replace the screen shoudnt be too much since you don't have to remove the front clip unlike the s6/s7. While your in there I would replace the PCV unit as well. That's what I did and now I don't have any worries of PCV failure or the turbos blowing. Cost of parts from dealer is about 400-500 including screen, gaskets, and PCV unit. Get it done and enjoy your car. Make sure to find a good shop or a mechanic who has done this on a 4.0t so eveything goes smoothly.
Kristian2001 (11-25-2021), Road Dawg (10-22-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say invest your money and get it changed, do the PCV valve as well, its under 400 for parts but labor Im not sure. My co-worker only charged me 400 for labor which is a real steal and he did both the screen and PCV. I would say find a shop that already did this or a reliable mechanic. Getting oil changes done more frequently is not a safe bet. The old screen is very restrictive Im surprised my turbos were in good shape being how clogged up it was. Get it changed and enjoy your car. Its a better investment compared to changing turbos if they become damaged.
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm just curious... If you're an "AudiMaster Tech" why are you paying a co-worker $400 to replace these parts?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone just removed the screen completely and called it a day? Is the screen also being used as a natural restrictor? I know many ball bearing turboes require a restrictor to prevent over pressurizing. I just think if it's there to prevent particles from reaching turboes, it's actually just destroying them anyway. Even that brand new revised screen looks like it can get clogged with sludge somewhat easily...

Last edited by Forcefed4door; 01-15-2020 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo oil screen replacement and pcv valve on 2013 A8l 4.0t with 76k miles