A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo oil screen replacement and pcv valve on 2013 A8l 4.0t with 76k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed4door
Has anyone just removed the screen completely and called it a day? Is the screen also being used as a natural restrictor? I know many ball bearing turboes require a restrictor to prevent over pressurizing. I just think if it's there to prevent particles from reaching turboes, it's actually just destroying them anyway. Even that brand new revised spring looks like it car get clogged with sludge somewhat easily...

Here is a link to a YouTube video with a person who is running with no screen on his S6. He bought his S6 at an auction with mechanical damage and it had blown turbos. He replaced the turbos and some other stuff but said he woudnt run a screen. He has a follow up video of him running with no screen with about 5k miles. Only issues so far is oil consumption but he said eveything else was fine. Long term you may have issues, but I don't think anyone can say for sure since no one has documented them running with no screen for an extended period of time.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMaster Tech
https://youtu.be/8QqRPCeIvAA
Here is a link to a YouTube video with a person who is running with no screen on his S6. He bought his S6 at an auction with mechanical damage and it had blown turbos. He replaced the turbos and some other stuff but said he woudnt run a screen. He has a follow up video of him running with no screen with about 5k miles. Only issues so far is oil consumption but he said eveything else was fine. Long term you may have issues, but I don't think anyone can say for sure since no one has documented them running with no screen for an extended period of time.
Nice in his case oil consumption was not known before the screen removal... But if it's true it (burns) more oil without the screen than it probably does act as an oil restrictor as well.
DallasDave (01-17-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No screen no clogging issue.....right?

Great post. Do you have the part number for the screen? Or why not run it without the screen?

Originally Posted by AudiMaster Tech
Hey everyone! I thought I would share some pictures I took while my co-worker and I replaced the turbo oil screen and pcv valve on my 2013 A8l with 76k miles on it. Took about 5 hours and we took our time and dident rush. Everything is very straight forward but you have to be mechanically inclined to do this repair. The conditions of the turbos were good. There was no back and forth play but very slight side to side play on both turbos which was minimally and will be taken out with oil pressure. The drivers side turbo did have lots of oil but we think this was caused by pcv valve since there was oil in the intake. Here are some pics
Drivers side turbo, lots of oil but very slight play which is fine and no scoring. May be caused by failing PCV

Passenger side turbo That little spot near the compressor wheels is silicon not scoring, not sure how it got there but we cleaned it out.

The puddle to the right is coolant mixed with oil which is why it looks brown

Oil screen after 76k miles, clogged up severy compared to new one
Old 09-09-2020, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you zoom out a little and show us where the filter is.....
Old 09-09-2020, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default turbo oil screen replacement

Greetings

I went for the kit from JH Motorsports that replaces this filter entirely with an external filter that can be serviced regularly....FWIW
My filter was 60% clogged at 28Kms...Audi here deny there is an issue....b/s
The following 2 users liked this post by barlow100:
09S5 (01-24-2022), Audi.S8.fun (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2013 S8

This are some of the pics on my 2013 S8 with 75k km

Last edited by Audi.S8.fun; 09-09-2020 at 11:37 PM. Reason: More pics
09S5 (01-24-2022)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your insight is priceless!!! Thank You!!!

I posted my similar issue and I'm learning from these experiences. My drivers side turbo failed and I'm sure it was from a lack of oil. I'm ordering parts and gaskets as I speak. There's a couple of thought trains that say replace the oil pressure valve attached to the valley plate also (Same you tuber with the S6) I have a litany of other things to check because my car issue started with a P0175 P0172 system too rich issue.

I know its asking a lot, but if you have the time or would like to, can you visit my OP and share what I could possibly be overlooking??? I'm retired and very much mechanically inclined and would like to have all my bases covered and checked/replaced before I put my car back together!! If not I understand and am MUCH APPRECIATIVE of this OP and all your insight!!!

Thanks in advance RD
Old 11-26-2020, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello guys. Thanks for great threat. Just bought S8 plus 2017 with 45k miles, already out of warranty. Do you know if I have old-design oil screen or if I am already OK with this issue? I really want to run my car with no future problems, but now I’m not sure if this check is required for me now. Thank you
Old 11-26-2020, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter7
Hello guys. Thanks for great threat. Just bought S8 plus 2017 with 45k miles, already out of warranty. Do you know if I have old-design oil screen or if I am already OK with this issue? I really want to run my car with no future problems, but now I’m not sure if this check is required for me now. Thank you
I could be wrong but I don't think the new oil screens came out till 18 or later. I am sure you could could ask parts and they could confirm your vin. My 14 s8 blew turbos at 101k miles. The filters looked like they were dirty,, but the original old version. Turbos replaced and newer screens. I have heard some run with no screens. I got over 100k on the first version. Figure the second ones will be better. Make sure you get new orings for the lines. Mine leaked just a drop every 2 miles but you could smell it burning off. 6 new orings are only 14$. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your VIN is higher than ...901368 you should have the latest updates, as per the Audi TSB.
Peter7 (11-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Turbo oil screen replacement and pcv valve on 2013 A8l 4.0t with 76k miles