A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi BSG recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 889 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Is this a recall for everyone? Or just for people with BSG failures?
All I can confirm is the data points found on AW which is for US and Canada. Right now the recall is limited to MY 2019 and 2020 and the prevailing theory is b/c Audi wants to swap out the oldest BSG's first as these have the highest probability of failures. Also based on other data points, it appears to be a VIN by VIN specific recall b/c Audi probably doesn't want everyone to hit the dealer at the same time as BSG supply is still constrained. An educated guess is they probably are starting with the A8 first and then going down the model range to cheaper cars but that's just based on what I have read here and not based on any sort of fact.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 406 Likes on 289 Posts

Is there any early warning signs of a BSG failure? I notice a strange sound when idling. It's not very loud, but certainly something I can here without having to open the hood. It sounds like a bearing that's nearing its end of life.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Is there any early warning signs of a BSG failure? I notice a strange sound when idling. It's not very loud, but certainly something I can here without having to open the hood. It sounds like a bearing that's nearing its end of life.
I don't know,but could this be related to the BSG tensioner and belt replacement thread from a couple of days ago?
Old 05-12-2024, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No
The following users liked this post:
MorganMay (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

My letter from Audi came today. "Emissions Service Action 27BQ - Starter-Alternator" is what they are calling the free replacement of the BSG for my 2020 A8 60 that was delivered to me on New Year's Eve 2019.

There must be some angle leading to a positive return that Audi gets for calling this an "in cooperation with the US EPA and CARB" emission service action.

But I'll take it.

By the way, after four and one-half years, this A8 continues to work flawlessly (since they updated software on the adaptive cruise control so that it always works). I will keep it "til death do us part.
The following 2 users liked this post by MorganMay:
angrypengu (05-13-2024), S8RST (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine showed the same sign about one and a half months ago and yesterday the BSG failed, luckily enough mine was one of the first ones here in the US to receive the recall so they can perform the software upgrade as well. I will check again if the strange idling sound will be gone after they get this fix and post the update here.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by zhangjeffrey1
Mine showed the same sign about one and a half months ago and yesterday the BSG failed, luckily enough mine was one of the first ones here in the US to receive the recall so they can perform the software upgrade as well. I will check again if the strange idling sound will be gone after they get this fix and post the update here.
It's not the bearing that goes. It's the circuitry/circuit board that gets fried presumably due to condensation. There is no warning sign for the famous BSG failure but I'm also not stating that you didn't hear a funny sound. It's a post hoc ergo propter hoc thing.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Wow, it just dawned on me the software versions went up by a ton. This is one of the latest (I don't think it's the most recent one) TSBs: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Audi/27-23-57

Note software version 527. The one per the WO and OBD11 that was just uploaded to my vehicle is 562. That's quite the version jump.
What does the software update change or include?
Old 05-13-2024, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2019A6Owner
What does the software update change or include?
The only stated comments from Audi going from 523? (whatever my car came with originally) to 527 is an increased timeframe from notification of BSG failure to car being dead. There are no other comments published otherwise so it's anyone's guess.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 193 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by MorganMay
My letter from Audi came today. "Emissions Service Action 27BQ - Starter-Alternator" is what they are calling the free replacement of the BSG for my 2020 A8 60 that was delivered to me on New Year's Eve 2019.

There must be some angle leading to a positive return that Audi gets for calling this an "in cooperation with the US EPA and CARB" emission service action.

But I'll take it.

By the way, after four and one-half years, this A8 continues to work flawlessly (since they updated software on the adaptive cruise control so that it always works). I will keep it "til death do us part.
Can you please post a copy of the letter you received from Audi? Thank you!

Quick Reply: Audi BSG recall