A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming back to the Audi family! Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
Further thoughts/observations so far:
  • The door seals are noticeably beefier---more rubber, thicker, and a better overall seal.
Holy cow I noticed this too. Huge improvement.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

A few more observations:
  • The shifter may be shaped similarly to the D4 but it functions differently such that it will take a bit of time to get used to--Reverse is engaged by pushing the shifter forward once. Drive is selected by pulling back on the shifter twice...the first pullback engages S1 and the second one engages Drive (or S2 if in Dynamic mode). Park is engaged by pushing a button on the shifter. I'm still "in training" with these changes!
  • The dynamic steering really tightens the car's turning radius in a parking lot at low speed....it completes a full turn much like the A4....as advertised. Makes maneuvering very easy, especially with so many external sensors providing feedback about close objects.
  • Seat belt buckles are illuminated at night....soft white LED lighting around each buckle's end which makes it so easy for those who feel a need to look for it.
  • The windshield/windscreen defrosting vent openings are FINALLY well distributed along almost the entire base of the windshield rather than two large openings toward the center (D4) that struggled to clear the far left and right glass areas. Will have to wait for this winter to see just how effective this new design really is. I'm just impressed that it was finally addressed design-wise after so long.
  • The adaptive windshield washers work extremely well--spraying washer fluid in front of each blade as they rise up from their resting place and then spraying from the opposite side as the blades reverse direction. At no time is visibility sacrificed due to a blast of fluid on most of the glass surface from hood-mounted nozzles. Can't wait to see this in action at highway speeds.
  • I explored the MMI screens for about 40 min. last night and am extremely impressed with the processing speed. I know I've just begun but the menu levels seem to be very well thought out. However the complexity and depth that can be explored and adjusted in this system will be very distracting at highway speeds. "Short-cuts" are available but there will have to be more eye contact with the screens that in the previous system with the physical buttons and *****. Audi did a great job with the knurled ***** and satisfying clicks/feedback in the previous MMI system but the functions were definitely limited. This is the new frontier for Audi's MMI so we need to learn and adapt....and know that each of us has limitations with this type of system while driving.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Out of curiosity, are the windshield blades a one piece design with the nozzles? I know they are on MB, and I was shocked to read just now while staring at new cars that maybe Audi is now doing this?

Not a make it or break it point for me, just a case of curiosity of the Germans.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Out of curiosity, are the windshield blades a one piece design with the nozzles? I know they are on MB, and I was shocked to read just now while staring at new cars that maybe Audi is now doing this?

Not a make it or break it point for me, just a case of curiosity of the Germans.
The blades are conventional design (likely Bosch) and the nozzles are a part of the wiper arm...very well-designed so that the entire blade/wiper arm assembly appears to be rather normal-looking.