A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 847 Likes on 604 Posts
Default S8

Review made by fellow Canadians!

Old 03-17-2020, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Almost everything they said about the air ride is wrong.

But good sounding machine anyways
Old 03-17-2020, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I really didn't favor what they said about the car not being "flashy enough". It was kind of foolish in my opinion. They claimed the car looks boring, which I can understand. The design of the new A8 is very understated. However, they went onto saying it's not flashy enough for them. It kind of speaks into their character with a comment like that. It's one thing to want a big luxury car for the comfort, smoothness and amenities; but to want it just so you can be seen by others is kind of sad. Audi made a great luxury car without making it over the top flashy. In the end they even compared its styling to the redesigned Genesis G80 which I think looks horrendous.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by swedesc
I really didn't favor what they said about the car not being "flashy enough". It was kind of foolish in my opinion. They claimed the car looks boring, which I can understand. The design of the new A8 is very understated. However, they went onto saying it's not flashy enough for them. It kind of speaks into their character with a comment like that. It's one thing to want a big luxury car for the comfort, smoothness and amenities; but to want it just so you can be seen by others is kind of sad. Audi made a great luxury car without making it over the top flashy. In the end they even compared its styling to the redesigned Genesis G80 which I think looks horrendous.
IMHO it is a fair comment that the car is very understated, and that it's not flashy enough for them. I'm their age, and I bought the A8 because I have some level of maturity and I don't like showing off. They're still young kids who are making money off of Youtube, who have probably never held a real job (no offense) and couldn't afford the car.

I get their perspective, and to be honest I respect them. The Genesis comparison made me kvetch though. That car is not worthy of being in the same league as the German 3.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
IMHO it is a fair comment that the car is very understated, and that it's not flashy enough for them. I'm their age, and I bought the A8 because I have some level of maturity and I don't like showing off. They're still young kids who are making money off of Youtube, who have probably never held a real job (no offense) and couldn't afford the car.

I get their perspective, and to be honest I respect them. The Genesis comparison made me kvetch though. That car is not worthy of being in the same league as the German 3.
I'm even younger than them and while I like the energy they bring to car reviews, I end up disagreeing with a lot of what they say in a lot of them. Still it's good to hear others perspectives on things. My last 2 cars have been Volvo's so I guess that say's a lot about me considering most people my age would never consider one.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm even younger than them and while I like the energy they bring to car reviews, I end up disagreeing with a lot of what they say in a lot of them. Still it's good to hear others perspectives on things. My last 2 cars have been Volvo's so I guess that say's a lot about me considering most people my age would never consider one.
Age is just a number!

I came from Mercedes.....haha.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I really didn't favor what they said about the car not being "flashy enough". It was kind of foolish in my opinion. They claimed the car looks boring, which I can understand. The design of the new A8 is very understated.
The line of the A8 is conservative and elegant, which I understand

The S8 should be more racey with sharper line in the hood and side panels. That's how the fastest sedan in the world SHOULD look

If anyone could mistake a A8 for an S8, then Audi has done something wrong
gk1 (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
The line of the A8 is conservative and elegant, which I understand

The S8 should be more racey with sharper line in the hood and side panels. That's how the fastest sedan in the world SHOULD look

If anyone could mistake a A8 for an S8, then Audi has done something wrong
One could argue you can mistake an A4 for an A6 for an A8...

I mean, as an A8 owner and not an S8 owner, I don't mind. Same has been said by A4 owners
gk1 (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 07:09 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I mean, as an A8 owner and not an S8 owner, I don't mind. Same has been said by A4 owners
Small, Medium and Large or as years go by Medium, Large, Extra-Large
It would be cool if they were holding back a bit for something like an RS8, but it has never happened before so no reason to think it would now. I'd want it to have a jet engine anyway. LoL
angrypengu (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Yeah, that's a quirk about Audi and takes away a bit of the exclusivity. I think there should be some differences in looks between those models not just size. Given the price difference on an S8 No one should mistake it for any other model.

I remember when my buddy was buying an S7. He hated the silver mirrors and went as far to tell the dealer no deal if it had silver mirrors. Took me two weeks to convince him that the mirrors were part of the exclusitivity. He finally changed his mind and is now proud when he sees an A7, knowing that his car stands out
The following 3 users liked this post by Omeletpants:
angrypengu (03-18-2020), Chris.T (03-23-2020), gk1 (03-18-2020)

Quick Reply: S8