A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to see the D5 at my dealer today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

The D5 is a beauty, alright! Got to check one out in Audi Omaha's showroom Saturday and really fell in like with it - not quite 'love', yet. Only two things stopped me from taking it home:
1 - I didn't have $103,235.00 on my debit card
2 - BMW called and they want their dash back

One of the things I'm loving about my D4 A8L is how easy it is to 'Braille' my way around the Audi MMI panel while driving. I can see a larger TFT panel up top, but MMI was something that set Audi apart and the control panel is (in my opinion) one of the best around, if not the best. Now, it's "Oh, look. Another glass cockpit design. And a touch screen. But at least it has haptic feedback and only most of the others do." The main panel has a set amount and dimensions of real estate to live in, but could (should!) have kept more of The Look of an Audi.

Apart from that quibble, it is one sweet ride! Can't wait to see how all the new gizmos work out in real life, too.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo118
Thought that was not available yet? It should make a world of difference, as mine does not have it and I feel like I have to turn the steering wheel a bit more than I had to on my 750i for a tighter turn.
This is available at launch.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find having the haptic switched off via the menus makes the usage much faster on the screens.

It's actually surprising how much you can do via the steering wheel I found.

But you are absolutely correct, the ease of the D4 just isn't there with the 5 yet.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
I find having the haptic switched off via the menus makes the usage much faster on the screens.

But you are absolutely correct, the ease of the D4 just isn't there with the 5 yet.
Many items are familiar if you had a D4, but definitely more touching involved. Some functions are just not the same, such as radio presets. On the D4, you just set your stations 1-6 and use the pad to go to the station of your choice. Now I am not sure where to store my presets, as I have most of the shortcut buttons taken up with other features.

Regarding the steering wheel- Yes many functions are available including faster scrolling to a radio station of your choice. I just can't figure out how to stop the Virtual Cockpit from zooming out on the map, as I like to have a closer view. I absolutely love the * button that I set up to pull up the front camera. This is a great feature as I often have to squeeze through double parked cars in NYC.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Interesting. As they say, different strokes for different folks and I must say I always turn off clicky noises and such on my phone, but I actually like the haptic feedback on the MMI system. Helped me to navigate the system when the car was in motion.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to thank you for this tip. Really did speed things up, and it is much easier to use now.