Gearbox doesn't go into reverse, and 4th

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox doesn't go into reverse, and 4th

This morning while I was driving realised my gearbox would not shift into reverse and D. I look at the indicator when I shift it into R the indicator goes into 2 and when I shift it into P the indicator shows 1.

I also realised when I shift the gear into D, it stays on 3 on the indicator. What is the cause of it? The gear shifts smoothly. I had the issue this morning while I started the car. It's a daily driver and I religiously follow its maintenance schedule.

Any help?
Old 06-17-2017, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

With the gear lever in "P" park..will the engine start normally? I ask because the engine should only start in "P" and "N". Very odd. Any error codes? A VCDS would be handy to see what is happening..without it you must go through a process.

You should state year and model of your A6-C4..but the process is the same for the MFS.

The indicator on the dash is telling you what gear through the multi-function switch (MFS)..which is on the side of the transmission..and is difficult to get to and adjust.

I would first look at the plug connector to the MFS..it is exposed to the elements and will get cruddy..and it is easy to get to and check. It is under the car on the drivers side.

Usually if the MFS is out of adjustment or the plug connector is in poor condition the transmission will not shift correctly or go into "limp" mode..2nd gear only..you don't have that problem which is unusual.

If you want to adjust the MFS..rather than deal with removing the transmission mount and finding the special tool, loosing the MFS..etc..I would try and adjust the cable..which can be done inside the car after removing the center console or under the car. First try the adjuster bracket under the car. It is in a tight position and may require some fiddly flex 13mm sockets to get to.

Put the car in "P" Park and there is a thin nut on the side of the shift lever that holds the cable up at the gearshift (once you have removed the center console). You loosen that then go under the car and manually push the transmission selector lever (the other end of the cable attaches to it)...push it all the way into the "P Park position, per the PDF.

First try and loosen the cable adjustment bracket on the side of the transmission to adjust..unless you cannot get the indicator to syn with the transmission then you must loosen the shift nut with the center console removed..then loosen and secure at the gearshift when in "P" and the shift cable under the car is fully engaged in Park.

See the attached PDF.

I have seen that bracket that holds the shift cable on the side of the transmission broken..don't know why they break..when they break the gearshift position and gear indicator will be out of syn too..and the car may not start because the ECU thinks the transmission is not in Park when you turn the ignition key. You will see the shift cable moving around and not secure to the side of the transmission if the bracket is broken..have a friend shift the transmission while you look at the cable and bracket to see what is going on..from under the car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
gear adjustmentAudi A6.pdf (347.2 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 06-17-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advise. I am not sure whats happenning. When i put into P, it does starts normally and D car moves but i can only take it to 3rd gear..it doesn't go into 4th. No reverse gear when i shift to R..i will try your recommendation..Mine is a 1994 Audi C4 100 2.6E. Daily driven.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Happened again

After doing 400km drive on the way back today morning, it happened again. This was after changing the multi-function switch (MFS) previously. It is odd this time around as it went into 3rd for 40 km stretch and then went to 4th gear about 20km and then again it happens again shifting into 3rd automatically. Since i was on the highway, i just stopped over rest area allowing it to cool down and continued journey slowly back home. Surprisingly after letting the car to cool down for 4 hours, it shifted normal. Any idea? I am getting my mechanic to check on this as he replaced the MFS before this. It is kinda weird it has happened again.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aron56
After doing 400km drive on the way back today morning, it happened again. This was after changing the multi-function switch (MFS) previously. It is odd this time around as it went into 3rd for 40 km stretch and then went to 4th gear about 20km and then again it happens again shifting into 3rd automatically. Since i was on the highway, i just stopped over rest area allowing it to cool down and continued journey slowly back home. Surprisingly after letting the car to cool down for 4 hours, it shifted normal. Any idea? I am getting my mechanic to check on this as he replaced the MFS before this. It is kinda weird it has happened again.
On the passenger side lower kick panel..behind it is a group of fuses on a plastic bridge. One is the fuel pump, and one is the power 12v for the MFS/transmission and some others.

Those fuses and holders get corroded due to moister/h20 behind the panel. The fuses will work then when warm will increase resistance and drop voltage so things like your transmission or fuel pump will not work well.

It is worth taking a look at those fuses.. pull each one..inspect the blade on the fuses for corrosion. Replace them anyways as they are old enough to vote.