valve change

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve change

a while back (over 4 months ago) the idle pulley for the timing belt broke.... over the past weeks I was able to first get a new job, then I bought the parts including the bently manual. I have read the manual but never changed the valves on any engine. Timing on the V6 seems critical and the manual calls for a special tool to hold the valve cam sprockets while installing the timing belt (assuming I already change the valves correctly) is there someone selling this tools? any suggestions on who to do the job and without screwing up the engine further?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: valve change

i BOUGHT MY CAR after it had the same problem. I got the car and like you was real nervous about pulling it apart because of all the problems I heard of, one being special tools needed. well i did mine with no problems at all and acctually it was real easy. I do have a good amount of mechanical ability but it had been several years since i did any engine work. as long as you do not remove the pullies you don't need the tools, you can use a yard stick to lign them up. as for the valves more then likely you bent all the exhaust valves like mine did, I had $280 in valves and gasekts so it wasn't a real expensive job. you "should" replace the head bolts but I did not on the advice of a friend of mine these bolts are designed to stretch but you can use them again but just modify your torque procedure. you can do a search and fine my post on this from around last sept. or so. if after you read my post you still have questions let me know. as for the valves you will need may want to rent a spring compressor to make it easy or you can do what I do and use a big C-clamp to compress them, then you will need to grab some valve grinding compound to seat the valves. if you can turn a wrench, don't be affraid of this, but ask questions, your bigest problem will be with the wireing, i would recomend taking pictures of the wireing as you go and mark each plug, I did not and had a few mixed up

Jon
Old 04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: valve change

I got the digital camera ready... and tape with a marker to label things I know I'm careful.
I think were this can get me is the fact that I have never done anything inside an engine.
I already bought new intake and exhaust valves, gaskets, bolts, belts, oil, and the bently manual... yes I'm kind of scared of doing this job.
I know I can take it apart but then how do I know if it needs machine work? how do I set the timing correctly? I'm working on a site to post pictures and comments....
Old 04-18-2004, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default help intake manifold

I can't remove the intake manifold! I took off the seven bolts and disconected just about everything that was attached to it but now what? I tried pulling it up but nothing... I don't think that it would be so heavy that I can't carry it myself? do I spray something on the gasket area? I'm about to use my hammer but I know thats dumm!