fuel system problems!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel system problems!!! PLEASE HELP!!

I need to get the specs for the fuel distributer for my K- jetronic 5 cylinder, 2.2L

My car has been puking fuel since I bought it. I replaced the O2 sensor which helped a little but it still has problems. I have cleaned the ISV valve which also helped. I replaced the distributer cap and rotor & air filter, which have not seemed to help. I will be replacing my wires and fuel filter with in the next few days.

I am starting to wonder though if someone has played around with my fuel system. Can someone please give me the specs and a starting point. I have ordered a Bentley but it won't be in my hands for a month.

Any help would be great!!
Old 08-07-2003, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Reply of limited help.

Define, "puking fuel". Is it running WAY to rich or actually leaking?

I had an '85 CIS-E VW Jetta that one might describe as "puking fuel". Turned out the fuel distributor plunger was all gummed up; a careful cleaning with carb cleaner spray made it right as rain.

Other culprits may include a faulty thermoswitch, which would cause your cold start injector to spray at inappropriate times or dirty injectors that stick open and spray fuel when they shouldn't.

I have narrowed down problems with the wonderful/f*c!ing Bosch CIS system in my cars by pulling syestem plugs when the car is exhibiting it's bad behavior and observing the car's "reaction".

Also, you'd be amazed how idiotic a K-Jetronic system will act if you have marginal grounds haunting your engine bay. You'd do well to clean all contacts and connectors under your hood and coat them with a thin layer of dielectric grease before reconnecting them. Be aware that some devices (like thermoswitches) use the engine block as a ground path and can cause problems simply by getting dirty; taking them out and cleaning the threads has been known to work wonders.

Doug
Old 08-07-2003, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a 3mm T handle and turn it down, insert into hole between air boot and fuel dizzy
Old 08-08-2003, 05:14 AM

Default Puking fuel..

The engine is running really rich. I call it puking because it feels like it is going to throw up if it was human. There is black smoke coming out of the tail pipe at idle which is not noticeable when driving. It is kind of hard to explain what the engine is doing, besides running rough with a "phu phu" noise from the tailpipe and the engine keeps skipping.

I am just not sure where to start looking for the cause. Someone told me I should consider changing my temperature sensor. I know there are two of them but I can only find the one at the front of the engine without the Bentley.
Besides that, I am at a loss as to what my problem is.