The latest ......

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The latest ......

Whinning sound when driving indicating fuel pump going out. Drove about 20 miles, tuned ignition off for 15 minutes, turned key and nothing. Only sound I heard was hissing sound coming from the back seat, sounding like a release of pressure from a hose(fuel pump under the back seat). Is this the expected result when the fuel goes completely or is this the result of a bad selonoid or possibly the starter burned out?
Old 07-04-2005, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: The latest ......

right near the battery .. under the seat there is a vacuum pump for the ... door locks ... check it out.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:25 AM

Do you know where I can find a picture? Also, you that is the psh sound of pressure that I here when I turn the key to "on"?
Old 07-04-2005, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The fuel Pump is located in your gas tank under your trunk floor. Not sure of the year of you car , but if you want to hear the fuel pump run without the engine ... do this, turn ignition on, go to fuse box and look for a tall relay with a hole to fit a fuse ... put/leave fuse in that hole and the fuel pump should run.

No I have no pic of the area I'm talking about / location of the vacuum pump is outboard of the Battery ( which is under the seat ) there is a plasic cover/ insulation

have a look for output test / D

Output Tests:
1986-88 5000 Turbo and Turbo Quattro,
Early 1989 200 Turbo and Turbo Quattro
UK based ur-Quattro with MB engine

There is also an ECU controlled "output test" mode that allows you to run the fuel pump and the other ECU controlled solenoids to verify correct ECU/solenoid/wiring operation [3]. This output test begins by turning on the fuel pump and then you can step through subsequent output tests where it will cycle each electrical solenoid on and off in a particular order.

The Check Engine light should flash during the Output tests to indicate which component/solenoid is being tested. Some later vehicles use fuse #28 in the main fuse box to supply +12V to all of these solenoids, so this fuse should be checked if they are not operating.

On the US based MC engine vehicles, you can activate the Output Tests two ways, the first way is to insert a spare fuse into the top of the fuel pump relay and then turn on the ignition (Do not crank or start the engine). The fuel pump will begin to run to indicate the start of the output tests.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/ecuf.html#out1">http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/ecuf.html#out1</a</li></ul>