Quick question on gear oil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on gear oil.

So I have a 93 90 fwd auto.I recently performed a trans flush.An when I went to drain it.I pulled the drain plug off and no fluid came out. WTH I tilted the car on an angle.Removed the hex on the drivers side ,stuck my finger in and there was no fluid at all.So I added about 4 qts and nothing. Ive done this on my other audi no problem.So I proceeded to overfill the tranny. After getting the level right by draining through the cooler lines.It occurred to me.There is no trans drain plug on this year.I the hex drain is for filling the diff with gear oil.Am I right in this assumption?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

It would be helpful to have some pictures. There is the pan..and ATF. I don't recall there being a drain plug on a 1993 transmission pan..might be though.

It is possible you removed a bolt that looked like a drain..but was not.

There MIGHT BE a drain for the transaxle..and a fill hole up near the axle flange with a allen ..the transaxle doesn't hold much like a liter or so. The fill for the diff is #4 in the attached PDF

AIRC there is no drain for the ATF..you must loosen the fitting for the big tube for the dip-stick (your car might not have one..pictures help) Might as well service/replace the filter..drop the pan and clean the muck and magnet in there, replace the gasket and refill.

Is your transmission like the one in the other PDF?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
diffaudi 90.pdf (511.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf
audi90transauto.pdf (265.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
It would be helpful to have some pictures. There is the pan..and ATF. I don't recall there being a drain plug on a 1993 transmission pan..might be though.

It is possible you removed a bolt that looked like a drain..but was not.

There MIGHT BE a drain for the transaxle..and a fill hole up near the axle flange with a allen ..the transaxle doesn't hold much like a liter or so. The fill for the diff is #4 in the attached PDF

AIRC there is no drain for the ATF..you must loosen the fitting for the big tube for the dip-stick (your car might not have one..pictures help) Might as well service/replace the filter..drop the pan and clean the muck and magnet in there, replace the gasket and refill.

Is your transmission like the one in the other PDF?
Mine is different from the one pictured.I already changed the fluid using the lines.The plug is on the drivers side on the right hand side of the cv axle.I know its kinds a dumb question but would the front diff get gear oil when its built in to the trans like this unit?I put 5 quarts of atf in.Overfilling the hell out of it but no fluid came out of that plug.Its an 17mm Giant hex. The trans pumps working fine an all that.ATF is good and level now.I havent owned very many fwd cars an am not sure if it needs gear oil there or not.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking at the second diagram the plug is number 4.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

.I know its kinds a dumb question but would the front diff get gear oil when its built in to the trans like this unit?

Not a dumb quest at all..there is ATF and in the transmission a "well" built in where the differential turns..that takes gear oil. They are separate areas inside the transmission. Don't put ATF in the differential

You remove the 17mm hex bolt and top up the gear oil, till it drips out..then you know the gear oil level is good. Use a synthetic gear oil as Audi used. Should be a 75w90 synthetic gear oil.

Surprisingly AutoZone has a write up, it would be applicable to your 1993 Audi 90:

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...00c152801c113b

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 08-26-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the confirmation.That suckers bone dry.I could stick my finger all the way to the bottom and feel no fluid.I will fill it up.I was confused as hell when I opened that plug, added atf to the dipstick and nothing came out.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Is there one for a 1995 Quattro Sport Manual Transmission?

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
.I know its kinds a dumb question but would the front diff get gear oil when its built in to the trans like this unit?

Not a dumb quest at all..there is ATF and in the transmission a "well" built in where the differential turns..that takes gear oil. They are separate areas inside the transmission. Don't put ATF in the differential

You remove the 17mm hex bolt and top up the gear oil, till it drips out..then you know the gear oil level is good. Use a synthetic gear oil as Audi used. Should be a 75w90 synthetic gear oil.

Surprisingly AutoZone has a write up, it would be applicable to your 1993 Audi 90:

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...00c152801c113b
I tried to push the link on the site to Manual and it took me to a blank page. Please let me know if you know where I can find a good writeup. 1995 Audi 90 Quattro Sport.

I need to replace my CV axle shaft really badly. I don't have a whole lot of money but I figured I might as well do the transmission fluid as well since (usually) they are connected.

I'm also looking for the best 75w90 (GL4?) I can get. Preferably what you all run. I heard Redline but I hear you all run Motul. A link to that would be mighty kind of you as well.

I think I need 3qts but it's 3.1 or something.

You'll be seeing me around more. After the cv axle is brakes. Then just the Rear Diff, Oil Cooler, Heater and HVAC system, Ball joint, and Oil Pressure gauge.

I'll make some writeups. That fuel pump was rather a headache.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just don't use 75w-90, even if it is dual-rated GL-5 plus the GL-4 you need.

The best choice in MTF is Pennzoil Synchromesh. It's GL-4 and thinner, made to replace host of antiquated MTF.

Worst case fluid is a GL-5 gear oil, whose friction coefficient is too slick for synchronizers to properly engage. Again, the 75w-90 is too thick as well, so avoid GL-5 "gear oil" in general.

Once you try PZ Synchromesh, you can consider maybe if there's better products to try subsequently, but it's doubtful you will want to switch. If you want a decent premium fluid, once step up is Redline MTL 75w-80, about the same visc as PZ Synchromesh. I'm eyeballing the Ravenol products on Amazon.... https://smile.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1C...15O/ref=sr_1_4

Also, you can always flush the trans with ATF, ideally Dex6, but Dex 3 is fine for a week or two....quite good in cold, fwiw. Many people in arctic climate use Mobil 1 ATF permanently. The newest VAG manual trans take very thin MTF, thinner than ATF! Synchromesh works great in these too. Name:  PRxb5gC.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  88.3 KB

Last edited by Audi Junkie; 11-29-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I ended up buying Ravenol 75w-90 GL4. I changed the CV but there was no need to change the trans oil.