Should I service my 90S Auto transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I service my 90S Auto transmission?

I bought a 1994 90S FWD a few years ago for winter use. Its got 150k miles on it now. Its shifting fine. Should I do any service to the tranny like a fluid and filter change? How do i do it? I don't have any info on prior tranny service.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default um yes

haha, and as noted below, have the speed sensor replaced at this time as well.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't see where its noted or how to?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I see now. Nevermind.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default But what about a how to?

Is it just drop the pan and fluid and change the filter?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default eh, I wouldn't do it myself. Take it to a reputable audi mechanic

buy the kit yourself for about $40 or something like that from an online source. Make sure you get the right pan gasket and fluid and bring that all there. From there is just labor for the wrench. Its kinda a pain in the *** but with a lift and so on its easier than on jackl stands, plus they will have proper machines to suck that old **** out. Also make sure to have the sensor so he could put that in with the work as well. Last time I did this ran me about $120 for all. No labor on my part. Was luxurious, that was the last time my car saw a "mechanic".

I can't wait for those days to be over.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be VERY leery of the advice you're receiving. There's 2 TOTALLY different schools of thought...

regarding this very subject and its only fair you hear both.

You've heard the first one so I'll only mention the 2nd one and you can then make a better informed decision.

The one I'm going to mention is what may likely, if history at the forums is any indication, occur any time you change filter and/or a significant of your transmission fluid in a high-mileage "pre-Tiptronic transmission. As ATF is a very high deteregent content oil many experience slippage with even small portions of new ATF and a filter. That slippage can then lead to the tranny's demise. This can be further aggrivated by having the serice centers that pump "all" ATF out and refilling with fresh. Worst thing I've ever personally done on my sons old 94 90S with a perfectly working auto tranny was install a new filter and add 2-3 quarts of fresh ATF at 96k miles. Tranny started to slip immediately after that. Tranny was DOA before hitting 98k miles. It can be a double-edged sword... damned if ya do/damned if ya dont. But there is risk either way and I wouldnt be in any hurry to hazard which is more likely/eminent. Reputable transmission shops will also warn you of this distinct possibility when you inquire about servicing high mileage trannys as its not limited to Audi's. The less reputable shops say nothing and its not hard to understand why.

New oil cleans up all the old sudge and glaze in there now which makes for a good high friction surface that the transmission can grab ahold of. Cleaning all that off runs an equal or better-than-average chance of making the transmission slip once cleaned. Once it starts slipping there is no stopping it.

Goes against everything I know to leave tired, dirty oil in anything. But the forum archives are FULL of instances like I just mentioned on EVERY Audi auto transmission pre 1998.

You "may" get lucky. You "may" not. But you're at least entitled to an "informed decision." Worst part of it is you're "betting the farm" either way you go.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I gotta agree with Mance here,

my family has always been in the auto repair business, and I recently rejoined the ranks. Our rule of thumb is that if a high mileage car comes in for a transmission service and it doesn't have a previous history of frequent trasnmission service, then we won't touch it especially if the transmission is functioning properly. Just top it off and keep driving it.

If you have had your transmission serviced b4, then you can feel free to do it again. Just be careful who you bring it to because it doesn't take normal ATF. You have to get "special (expensive) Audi fluid. A normal service on your car should run well over $150 if done right.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

what about a drain/fill, that would only replace 1/2 of the fluid inside the transmission
Old 07-13-2006, 04:47 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

that was specifically mentioned in the post you responded to, ie; "my sons 94 90S"

Quick Reply: Should I service my 90S Auto transmission?