Uh oh.....timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh oh.....timing belt question

I'm in the midst of a timing belt change and had a little problem crop up. The allen head recess on one of the four bolts holding the harmonic balancer to the crankshaft gear was stripped by someone a long time ago. I carefully drilled out the head so that's not a problem now. The problem is that I may have, but I don't think so, turned the crank a tiny bit when I took the harmonic balancer off. They were stuck together and I didn't realize that the crank gear would come off without some coaxing. So...I'm not using the cool tool. I'm in 5th with the parking brake on. Whilst I was turning the crank bolt, everything rotated a smidge until it locked up. I figured that it was OK since the belt was keeping it all in sync. When I wiggled the harmonic balancer off the crank gear came with it and the belt came off. I don't think I was wiggling the harmonic balancer enough to actually move the crank so I may be O.K. I'd just like to make sure that everything is in sync before I pull off the cam gear so I can get the backing plate off so I can change the waterpump...So, any ideas of how I can be sure all is well? I'm thinking that I should lightly put the balancer back in place, put the belt back on and rotate until the marks line up. Or don't...Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan
Old 06-03-2008, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gear is keyed to the crank. Recheck all the timing marks and make sure their still lined up.