Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

ABS wheel speed fault since worn rear brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS wheel speed fault since worn rear brake pads

Back in July I had an ABS/ESP warning light on the dash.

VAGCOM showed the fault was with the rear wheel speed measurement on the rear right wheel and live data showed the speed kept dropping out to zero.

I tried to remove the sensor but damaged it during removal so I replaced the sensor, however the the fault was still there.

So I replaced the wheel bearing which fixed the problem - it turned out the the magnetic ring on the wheel bearing was corroded.

The replacement sensor and wheel bearing cost me £94 from GSF.

5 months later the ABS/ESP warning light on the dash appeared again and I noticed the rear pads were very worn.

So I replaced the rear pads and the ASB/DSC fault cleared but only for a few days before coming back again.

This time I used the OBDEleven tool which showed the fault was with the rear right wheel speed again and the live data showed the speed dropping out to zero, yet I only replaced the sensor and wheel bearing 5 months ago!

Could the worn rear pads have caused the ABS sensor or wheel bearing magnetic ring to fail ? Maybe if the the disc/wheel bearing/sensor overheated ?

I have ordered a new speed sensor and wheel bearing from GSF but thats cost me another £86 and I've got the the hassle of replacing them again, not knowing whether the fault is with the sensor or the magnetic ring on the wheel bearing.

I could try replacing the sensor first to see if that fixes the problem, if not then I would have to replace the wheel bearing as well.

Its just extra expense and hassle to replace these parts that are only 5 months old and strange how the fault came back again since the rear pads became so worn.

I thought about returning the existing sensor and/or wheel bearing to GSF in case its a manufacturing fault as they should be under warranty, although I don't think I have the receipts.