Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

iPhone and Blackberry integration with MMI (or lack of)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone and Blackberry integration with MMI (or lack of)

I have a 2015 A3 cab with the nav package. Thought I share what I have learnt..

Blackberry Passport integration with MMI is awesome. You can read your emails and SMS. Even reply to SMS with canned text like YEs, No, Ok, On my way etc. Shows all your emails and text on the phone. Spotify works great... when it works.

iPhone 6s... sigh. Only see SMS sent while I'm in the car, not prior. Cannot reply to SMS. No emails. Incoming email alert plays through car's speakers, but I much rather it doesn't because I can't read it while driving. Siri doesn't work when I'm streaming Spotify via BT. I stop Spotify, and say "hey Siri" but I hear nothing even-though Siri is speaking to me.

Work-around for Siri in the A3 does not work for me. I have a cabriolet and voice command is disabled. Would love to have it activated but no one seems to know how.

I am disappointed with the integration with the iPhone, but I will keep it because I am buying a Garmin smartwatch that does not work on the BB...

I hope someone finds the info useful.
If anyone knows how to activate Voice Command that would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have found their whole MMI system with Nav pretty pathetic when it comes to smartphone integration. I don't use nav because I use waze on my iPhone. Also, the MMI system does not read text messages from my phone. About the only thing useful is bluetooth connectivity, but I could have that on a car costing half as much.

I do hold out hope that either a hardware or software upgrade will improve things in the future, but I'm not confident I will ever see one.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by duncanator
I do hold out hope that either a hardware or software upgrade will improve things in the future, but I'm not confident I will ever see one.
I'm new to Audi so I don't know how they've done that in the past, if at all. Is there previous precedent to say they will upgrade the functionality on the MMI?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can reply to SMS with my Galaxy S4. I really hate the canned replies, I wish they would allow you to create canned replies. The ones they have canned suck.

Originally Posted by sdjaime
I'm new to Audi so I don't know how they've done that in the past, if at all. Is there previous precedent to say they will upgrade the functionality on the MMI?
I don't know, and I can tell you many who say there's an update in wing are just going off the hype Audi spewed when the A3 was just launched (in Europe) and they were talking about how the MMI has integrated nVidia hardware like modern PCs which would signal easy upgrades. Then a year later they show off Android Auto on a demonstration from a MMI unit from an 8V. A year later we see that Android Auto being marketed to just the 2017 A4.

I had my A3 for nearly a year now and Audi hasn't added nothing new to the MMI, in fact they removed features like the well marketed Facebook connect feature that disappeared from Audi Connect.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sdjaime
All I have that gives me hope is this.