Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

UK: 1.6 tdi, rattling noise at idle, Audi a3 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: 1.6 tdi, rattling noise at idle, Audi a3 2014

Noise is very prominant at idle when the car is cold the auxillary belt was removed and the noise was still there, the cambelt and water pump where changed but it still remains. Anyone had this problem before or could suspect what it is? Kind of sounds like marbles bouncing around and dissapears when the car is up to temp.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Brandon27
Noise is very prominant at idle when the car is cold the auxillary belt was removed and the noise was still there, the cambelt and water pump where changed but it still remains. Anyone had this problem before or could suspect what it is? Kind of sounds like marbles bouncing around and dissapears when the car is up to temp.
Video of noise
Just come across your post mate. Mine has done the exact same noise for around 12months and never got to the bottom of it. Have you managed to figure out what the cause was?
Old 09-30-2023, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TheRazzerman
Just come across your post mate. Mine has done the exact same noise for around 12months and never got to the bottom of it. Have you managed to figure out what the cause was?
So when I got the car it made the noise and it was on 77k miles but it was definitely not as noticeable, it is now as loud as in the video and the car is on 95k, my mechanic could not find what the noise was and it does still dissapear once warm. Doesnt seem to have affected the car in any way but still no solution, what mileage is your car on?
Old 10-02-2023, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So when I got the car it made the noise and it was on 77k miles but it was definitely not as noticeable, it is now as loud as in the video and the car is on 95k, my mechanic could not find what the noise was and it does still dissapear once warm. Doesnt seem to have affected the car in any way but still no solution, what mileage is your car on?
It was doing it when I bought the car also, but didn't notice until I was home. I'm on pretty much 100k now and runs fine. It does sound like it's in the bottom of the engine itself. I'm thinking maybe something to do with the oil pump thpu's driven by either a belt or chain. Not sure on our model. Either way, it never misses a beat and having a good look around, i found a couple of posts where people have had it for 50k+ miles and nothing has happened. With a bit of luck it's just a trait of the engine
Old 10-02-2023, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TheRazzerman
It was doing it when I bought the car also, but didn't notice until I was home. I'm on pretty much 100k now and runs fine. It does sound like it's in the bottom of the engine itself. I'm thinking maybe something to do with the oil pump thpu's driven by either a belt or chain. Not sure on our model. Either way, it never misses a beat and having a good look around, i found a couple of posts where people have had it for 50k+ miles and nothing has happened. With a bit of luck it's just a trait of the engine
I did loads of research on the issue and it does seem like a lot of people have the same noise once the engine reaches 70k+, I had all my tensioners replaced and the cambelt and waterpump done, my mechanic said to me it could be oil pump, general engine noise or something else in the engine, but yeah mines been spot on other than that noise. Frustrating though
Old 10-19-2023, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Video of noise
It is normal it is nothing wrong with it..
And don't run engine without v-ribbed belt which is attached to alternator which charging battery.. You will deplete battery in 5- 10 minutes..
Old 02-03-2024, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Video of noise

Hi Brandon,

did you solve the problem? I have exactly this sound coming from the engine when cold.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So from my research around the issue, it does seem to be a trait of the engine and mine has been running healthy, not give me any issues and Im up to 97k now, the noise was there since 77k and as others said there seems to be no fix available. That video I posted was after everything was replaced and the noise is still the same to this day, hasn't affected the car in any way though.