Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 Audi S5 4.2 Tiptronic - Cold morning stall in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Audi S5 4.2 Tiptronic - Cold morning stall in reverse

Hi all,

Not new to the forums, but just recently registered

Was hoping to get some advise before I shell out the big bucks to a stealership or shop.

Picked up a 2010 S5 with the V8 4.2L and a tiptronic transmission this year. I've noticed this issue since the weather has gotten cold here in Ontario. Every morning on start up, I let the car warm up before driving off (usually when the rpm settles back down to ~800rpm). As I shift the car into reverse and back-out of my driveway, I hit the brake and proceed to shift to "D", the rpm drops (pulses) to 200-300rpm for a split second as I am moving the lever. One time this week, the car even stalled once as I was shifting to D. I don't think this is normal, as I've never had this happen in another car before. If I let the car warm up longer than 5 minutes this does not happen. It also does not happen if I attempt the above if the car is "warm" (e.g going to the store and coming back).

What do you guys think the problem is? It just started getting really cold here (probably ~40F or 5C). I've recently changed out the air filter and performed an oil change. I did not notice this issue then (perhaps because it was still warm here).

Some other information:
- no fault codes when I checked with my vagcom
- I don't have history if the ATF was ever changed
- no grinding noises or issues when the car is warm and driving

Many thanks guys!
Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
josh.heywood (03-14-2024)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Message me and we can chat by phone and perhaps do a little brain-storming. I'm no mechanical wiz but an avid reader of the forums.
I'm in the Trenton/Belleville area.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
Message me and we can chat by phone and perhaps do a little brain-storming. I'm no mechanical wiz but an avid reader of the forums.
I'm in the Trenton/Belleville area.
Originally Posted by dooodo
Hi all,

Not new to the forums, but just recently registered

Was hoping to get some advise before I shell out the big bucks to a stealership or shop.

Picked up a 2010 S5 with the V8 4.2L and a tiptronic transmission this year. I've noticed this issue since the weather has gotten cold here in Ontario. Every morning on start up, I let the car warm up before driving off (usually when the rpm settles back down to ~800rpm). As I shift the car into reverse and back-out of my driveway, I hit the brake and proceed to shift to "D", the rpm drops (pulses) to 200-300rpm for a split second as I am moving the lever. One time this week, the car even stalled once as I was shifting to D. I don't think this is normal, as I've never had this happen in another car before. If I let the car warm up longer than 5 minutes this does not happen. It also does not happen if I attempt the above if the car is "warm" (e.g going to the store and coming back).

What do you guys think the problem is? It just started getting really cold here (probably ~40F or 5C). I've recently changed out the air filter and performed an oil change. I did not notice this issue then (perhaps because it was still warm here).

Some other information:
- no fault codes when I checked with my vagcom
- I don't have history if the ATF was ever changed
- no grinding noises or issues when the car is warm and driving

Many thanks guys!
Cheers.
Did anyone manage to figure what the issue is? I’m currently experiencing the same thing on my 2011 B8 S5 4.2 during the cold winter in Idaho. Any help is greatly appreciated