Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Watch movies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch movies while driving

Hey guys I own a 2013 Audi A5 I trying to figure out how to watch movies while me and my wife go on long road trips any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This can be done using a VAG-COM tool. There is a new model that uses wifi and does not require a computer.

Ross-Tech: News

Follow the instructions here:

AudiEnthusiasts Master

You will need an MMI cable that passes video.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .... 'cause there's nothing happening out there in front of you at 70mph...

... I can't help but think that is a horrible idea. I know that you are asking for the "passenger", but the sounds and moving images will no doubt distract you from driving at some critical moment. The data about driving and multitasking are unequivocal in demonstration of how it negatively impacts performance. If the passenger must watch a movie - have it on a laptop - pointed away from the driver.

I am sorry to be a kill-joy and I will probably be flamed - but I drive a great deal (1.6 million miles so far) and the stuff I see on the roads makes my skin crawl. As a former police officer, I have seen the impacts in-person. I am not a driving-nanny, as I storm the canyons on weekends - but I am totally focussed... no radio, no talking, no eating - fully engaged. Incredible fun.

Please give it a thought before you hook it up...

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I agree. Unless the little rugrats have earphones.

Originally Posted by eric strauss
... I can't help but think that is a horrible idea. I know that you are asking for the "passenger", but the sounds and moving images will no doubt distract you from driving at some critical moment. The data about driving and multitasking are unequivocal in demonstration of how it negatively impacts performance. If the passenger must watch a movie - have it on a laptop - pointed away from the driver.

I am sorry to be a kill-joy and I will probably be flamed - but I drive a great deal (1.6 million miles so far) and the stuff I see on the roads makes my skin crawl. As a former police officer, I have seen the impacts in-person. I am not a driving-nanny, as I storm the canyons on weekends - but I am totally focussed... no radio, no talking, no eating - fully engaged. Incredible fun.

Happy Motoring

Eric
The only noise I need while driving starts at 600hp.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss

Happy Motoring

Eric
While I agree with you, it's always fascinating to me how something works fine in other countries. I go to Japan a lot. My wife is Japanese. It's perfectly legal in Japan to watch TV while driving. Pretty much all cars there have live TV reception and everybody has their favorite crazy Japanese TV show on while driving. Doesn't seem to cause major pileups as one might think. I think it comes down to being responsible and have discipline. In the USA and other western countries we tend to pass laws for everybody, because a few act irresponsible and ruin it for everybody else.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It's illegal in most U.S. states to play video in the front passenger compartment while the car is moving. It's also not a great idea for safety. Get your wife a tablet for videos.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My parents were stationed in Japan for years...

Originally Posted by superswiss
While I agree with you, it's always fascinating to me how something works fine in other countries. I go to Japan a lot. My wife is Japanese. It's perfectly legal in Japan to watch TV while driving. Pretty much all cars there have live TV reception and everybody has their favorite crazy Japanese TV show on while driving. Doesn't seem to cause major pileups as one might think. I think it comes down to being responsible and have discipline. In the USA and other western countries we tend to pass laws for everybody, because a few act irresponsible and ruin it for everybody else.
... and my sense is that there is tremendous respect for authority, rules and consideration of the "other" in Japanese culture. I can see it working out there. Your comment about American laws is prescient where we have to litigate protection that might actually be just reasonable courtesy and common sense.

I just tremble at the thought of moving images and captivating sound just inches from a drivers face while he or she navigates a speeding car through traffic... radios, phones, kids are tempting enough. We are moving to sensory overload and then having to invent remote devices (distance control, lane monitoring, active cruise control) in order to maintain situational awareness. We are handing our autonomy over to a machine in return for digital "cookies" such as in-car video, massaging chairs, scented air systems. This is really infantilization and a gutting of the great capacity and risk that comes with adulthood. We will eventually be unable to drive without these systems. Perhaps that is the plan. A recent forum I attended at the Art School of Pasadena featured the future of private transportation. Audi is in the lead and sees such needs serviced by autonomous pods. Its all just a decade or so away.

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 04-17-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Thinking about it, Having a movie playing is predictable and can be mentally compartmentalized so as not to totally grab ones attention like getting a phone call or text can. That said, ANY distraction, even a talking passenger or spouse looking through her purse while you drive takes some of your awareness and concentration. I have trouble driving well at track events if there is an instructor riding with me. I still learn something from nearly every one but I'm always more consistent and faster (and safer)when they sign me off and I get down to business alone. Distractions should be minimized. It COULD save your life.
We are not all alike though I realize. Some can do three things at once. Me-- ( I have a small processor :-) )
Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Thinking about it, Having a movie playing is predictable and can be mentally compartmentalized so as not to totally grab ones attention like getting a phone call or text can...
That is very true. I often sit in front of the TV watching a show, but then start doing something on my tablet. I can completely focus on what I'm trying to do on the tablet and completely ignore what's on the TV and I will later have to rewind if I care to keep up with the story line. My brain is wired such that the task that needs the most of my attention will get it. On a long trip with active cruise control engaged and hardly any traffic, I don't think having a movie play at the same time to make the drive less boring is anymore distracting than listening to a talk show on the radio, attending to your kids screaming in the back or your wife asking a question and you have to think about the answer.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-17-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fithian

You will need an MMI cable that passes video.
Why would you need a cable? The movie plays off SD card, no?