Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Another “Extended Warranty” Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 02:59 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts
Default Another “Extended Warranty” Thread

I can remember, over the time I’ve been a member, a thread or 15 about Extended Warranties. This will be yet another . . .

As my car drives out of the Audi Warranty in about 6 months I’ve decided that an extended warranty may be a good financial and peace of mind decision as these cars can cost a kings ransom to repair. In talking with several of our members, this seems to be on more than a few minds of those of us who keep out cars longer than 4 years.

What I’m hoping is that members who have purchased extended warranties — either from Audi or a third party company — can share their experiences with us. facts like:
  • Who did you purchase your warranty through;
  • What are the “real” terms ie, it’s a 7 year warranty but it only gives you 3 years additional coverage after the factory warranty expires?
  • Have you had to use your extended warranty and what was your experience(s) like?
  • Did your local Audi Service Center accept the warranty (in case of a third party) and bill that company or did you have to pay and then submit that to the warranty company? What was the repair refund like, quick or full of loopholes that you had to dance through?
  • If your comfortable posting, what was your coverage vs. any deductible and approximately what your warranty cost was?
Despite my disappointment in some of the decisions Audi has made, I still enjoy my S5 and would like to keep it for quite a few years but I’d also like the peace of mind that a good warranty offers.

Thanks in advance.

— John

The following 3 users liked this post by Nikon1:
Audia42019 (07-02-2022), ShiftyWolf (11-27-2021), Thehead (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Following
Old 11-27-2021, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts

Following too.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:12 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I can remember, over the time I’ve been a member, a thread or 15 about Extended Warranties. This will be yet another . . .

As my car drives out of the Audi Warranty in about 6 months I’ve decided that an extended warranty may be a good financial and peace of mind decision as these cars can cost a kings ransom to repair. In talking with several of our members, this seems to be on more than a few minds of those of us who keep out cars longer than 4 years.

What I’m hoping is that members who have purchased extended warranties — either from Audi or a third party company — can share their experiences with us. facts like:
  • Who did you purchase your warranty through;
  • What are the “real” terms ie, it’s a 7 year warranty but it only gives you 3 years additional coverage after the factory warranty expires?
  • Have you had to use your extended warranty and what was your experience(s) like?
  • Did your local Audi Service Center accept the warranty (in case of a third party) and bill that company or did you have to pay and then submit that to the warranty company? What was the repair refund like, quick or full of loopholes that you had to dance through?
  • If your comfortable posting, what was your coverage vs. any deductible and approximately what your warranty cost was?
Despite my disappointment in some of the decisions Audi has made, I still enjoy my S5 and would like to keep it for quite a few years but I’d also like the peace of mind that a good warranty offers.

Thanks in advance.

— John
Purchased Platinum Audi Pure Protection when car was new from Troy.

The gist of it:

As indicated by the "Eligibility" check box, Audi contracts start on day 0 and mile 0 so 10 years effectively covers years 5 through 10. I still have one year left on factory warranty.

Coverage doc attached.
Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by MH62:
AgMaple (11-27-2021), Audia42019 (07-02-2022), Nikon1 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I’ve used Troy / FD a couple of times for various items over the years. The warranty was for my old Q5. I used it a couple of times and the Audi dealership handled everything. The only issue I had was the dealership said it would take x-hours to perform service and the warranty said y-hours. I had to pay the difference out of pocket (like .5 hours, so not substantial). But I had a good relationship with my SA and he was able to get quite a bit covered, when initially there was some back and forth.

You need to purchase the warranty before your factory one expires and as the miles mount up, the pricier the coverage gets and higher the deductible, from what I’ve seen and been quoted by Troy.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Do they still do Audi? Audi is not listed as a brand on the FD-Warranty home page, although the ownership of the Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen/Audi dealerships doesn't appear to have changed.
Nikon1 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

So, timely post, @Nikon1 , as I too have started to think about post warranty coverage as my car is two years old this weekend. My wife thinks I need to keep it a long, long time (she of the "drive it into the ground" philosophy), and since buying the extended always seems to be cheaper when the car is still on the factory warranty I've been thinking about quote shopping.

For me, I think I'd always opt for the branded/manufacturer warranty even if it cost a few more shekels. I base this on the experience we've had with the lifetime factory Mopar warranty on my wife's Durango. It's a $100 (or maybe $50) deductible and there's never been an issue getting a covered component repaired, and the service department just uses it (unless the repair cost is less). With their help they even got (then) FCA to cover the parts cost for some non-covered components.

In for more experiences from others.
Nikon1 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AgMaple
Do they still do Audi? Audi is not listed as a brand on the FD-Warranty home page, although the ownership of the Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen/Audi dealerships doesn't appear to have changed.
Yes, they still do Audi. The warranty is through Fidelity.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:40 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Yes, they still do Audi. The warranty is through Fidelity.

So, it’s not the genuine factory Audi warranty rather a third party warranty? Now I’m confused.

— John
Old 11-27-2021, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
So, it’s not the genuine factory Audi warranty rather a third party warranty? Now I’m confused.

— John
From previous conversations with Troy, it’s the same warranty. Fidelity services both, but in order for it to be the Audi branded, you have to have at least 1-year and have at least 10k on the original factory warranty remaining, otherwise it’s branded as Fidelity. Troy is pretty responsive over email and phone, during business hours. He’ll give you a free quote and answer any questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by arrtewwx:
AgMaple (12-01-2021), Nikon1 (11-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Another “Extended Warranty” Thread