Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Automatic Opening of Car When Approaching

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heymoe
OBDEleven has a whole bunch of pre-defined tweaks (like your list) that are one button click installs (they call them apps) but you need have credits to apply them OR if you have the pro version and know what codes need to be change you can do it manually for free.

Again, no coding, and beta tester customizations are free. Code reading/light resets are free.
I’ve had carista’s dongle since the 2012 GTI—it was $29.99 at the time, and customizations were free on the GTI and the B8.5 A5. Now customizations are paid for, unless you’re a beta tester for the b9.
Best $30 automotive bucks I’ve ever spent.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
Again, no coding, and beta tester customizations are free. Code reading/light resets are free.
I’ve had carista’s dongle since the 2012 GTI—it was $29.99 at the time, and customizations were free on the GTI and the B8.5 A5. Now customizations are paid for, unless you’re a beta tester for the b9.
You don't need to code with OBDEleven either. You just need to rack up points to do the mods.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Free during beta isn't really a fair comparison. Yes you are lucky to have gotten into the beta thus get the perk of doing the customization free as a reward for testing their software but that's not an options for everyone so that can't really be used as a pro against the OBD11 and eventually you will likely have to start paying extra to do customizations once the beta is over.

From what I can tell the OBD11 can do everything Carista can do and a lot more. Plus, what I see as a major con against Carista is their subscription pricing model ($40/year or $10/week) if you want to use their device for anything but a basic OBD2 device such as for customizations or advance diagnostics.

OBD11 on the other hand you can pay once for the standard version, which looks to be cheaper than the Carista with a 1 year subscription (about $45 vs $60) and basically get the same functionally as the Carista with a paid subscription. Sure OBD11 apps require credits but you can earn those for free (I've already earned 180 of them since I bought mine) and most apps only cost 0-10 credits or you can use the $15 you saved and buy some credits. Then you can also upgrade to the Pro version which you still only have to pay once for (no on going subscriptions) and have the functionality almost to the level of the much more expensive VAG-Com / VCDS cable and you can manually do customizations where a one-click app doesn't exist for yet.

The only pro I see for the Carista is if you plan on applying all the customizations you ever plan on doing ever during your 1-month free trial of the advance features, then you can save $25 over the standard OBD11.

Number of app / customization wise (one click, no manual coding) OBD11 has around 70 apps for the B9. I'm not sure how many Carista has so happy say this is a pro for Carista if they have more apps / customizations.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think they're still looking for beta testers for the b9, but you are correct, it won’t last forever.
Almost forgot—Using Carista, I set the gear selection to show in the drivers information screen between the tach and speedo...D1, D2...S1, S2, S3...(I do not have the VC)
And I mis-spoke—the dongle was/is $19.99-free shipping.
So for $20, (assume you become a beta tester) you can really customize your B9.
Beta testers also get to ‘keep’ free customization capabilities, in return for assisting in testing the product. It was a no brainer for me.
And Carista works on multiple makes.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Free during beta isn't really a fair comparison. Yes you are lucky to have gotten into the beta thus get the perk of doing the customization free as a reward for testing their software but that's not an options for everyone so that can't really be used as a pro against the OBD11 and eventually you will likely have to start paying extra to do customizations once the beta is over.

From what I can tell the OBD11 can do everything Carista can do and a lot more. Plus, what I see as a major con against Carista is their subscription pricing model ($40/year or $10/week) if you want to use their device for anything but a basic OBD2 device such as for customizations or advance diagnostics.

OBD11 on the other hand you can pay once for the standard version, which looks to be cheaper than the Carista with a 1 year subscription (about $45 vs $60) and basically get the same functionally as the Carista with a paid subscription. Sure OBD11 apps require credits but you can earn those for free (I've already earned 180 of them since I bought mine) and most apps only cost 0-10 credits or you can use the $15 you saved and buy some credits. Then you can also upgrade to the Pro version which you still only have to pay once for (no on going subscriptions) and have the functionality almost to the level of the much more expensive VAG-Com / VCDS cable and you can manually do customizations where a one-click app doesn't exist for yet.

The only pro I see for the Carista is if you plan on applying all the customizations you ever plan on doing ever during your 1-month free trial of the advance features, then you can save $25 over the standard OBD11.

Number of app / customization wise (one click, no manual coding) OBD11 has around 70 apps for the B9. I'm not sure how many Carista has so happy say this is a pro for Carista if they have more apps / customizations.
OBDEleven is a bit more advanced compared to Carista. You have to know what you're doing.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is why I use Carista—no coding. You can’t “uncode” something with a typo.
you can:
set convenience lock/unlock
set convenience window/sunroof open/close
Activate high beam assist,
adjust number of lane change blinks
activate sign recognition
Activate entry/exit seat assist
turn off horn/flashers with lock unlock

and a ton of other useful things...
Everything you just mentioned is literally in the coding thread and can be done easily with OBDEleven.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
OBDEleven is a bit more advanced compared to Carista. You have to know what you're doing.
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Everything you just mentioned is literally in the coding thread and can be done easily with OBDEleven.
This isn’t a competition — Remember “Some people like vanilla while others like chocolate.” No right or wrong answer, just choices. It’s up to each individual to choose which device they are the most comfortable with.

I appreciate the knowledge of and on both devices.

— John
The following users liked this post:
TT-S4 (12-04-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
This isn’t a competition — Remember “Some people like vanilla while others like chocolate.” No right or wrong answer, just choices. It’s up to each individual to choose which device they are the most comfortable with.

I appreciate the knowledge of and on both devices.
Wrong! Butter Pecan is the best hehe
Old 05-25-2019, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

This is why I use Carista—no coding. You can’t “uncode” something with a typo.
you can:
set convenience lock/unlock
set convenience window/sunroof open/close
Activate high beam assist,
adjust number of lane change blinks
activate sign recognition
Activate entry/exit seat assist
turn off horn/flashers with lock unlock

and a ton of other useful things...
This one interests me.

Does this work in your Premium Plus model? From what I understand, the camera needs to be flashed/parameterized to enable TSR (traffic sign recognition) and cannot be done with just OBDEleven. It's a combination of OBDEleven and VCP.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Wrong! Butter Pecan is the best hehe
Certainly ONE of my Favorites as well.

— John

Quick Reply: Automatic Opening of Car When Approaching