Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Deer 2, RS5 0

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I envy you. Whitetail deer are practically the state bird in NJ. The last 10 miles of my evening commute are on a rural country road. It's not uncommon to pass by 40 or more of them just standing on the sides of the road in that stretch. I usually see a new carcass on that same stretch of road every other morning.

I was unlucky enough to tag one after it made a poorly timed decision to cross the road. Took out the drivers side headlight, dented the hood and front fender and then rolled into both side doors. Luckily nothing more than bodywork damage but it took 2 weeks and about $6000 to repair.
I grew up in NJ and used to live in VT, so I have plenty experience seeing deer, but thankfully never hit one.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Anywhere north of Denton, east of Dallas, down in the hill country or taking OSR to College Station. I have a buddy that lives in Austin and he has 10-15 deer in his yard on a regular basis.
I never go north of Denton or east of Dallas, but have taken trips to College Station and Austin. The good thing is that deer are a very low risk when staying inside DFW.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:12 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Any information from your insurance company yet? How much of a financial “hit” are you expecting to take — both any deductible you may have and trading this one in on a ‘19 RS5?

— John
Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry about this situation JD, but glad you're going to be ok. I ran over a carcass last fall when my 2018 RS5 had 6000 miles. Took out the intercooler and did more under-carraige damage as well. Fix was invisible, but cost around $1600. Didn't file insurance. Was still washing out fur a month ago. It's a helpless feeling when you can't slow, change lanes or stop, but have to center it and take the beating.

Glad you're going back into another RS5. From some other threads, sounds like you'll be able to get a helluva deal on an 18 with 10,000 miles or so....something like 22%-25% off of MSRP CPO'd.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

When people talk about cars never being the same after an accident they are not talking about 2 dented panels and some deployed airbags, they are talking about actual structural damage like this head on collision I was in that totaled the car...

And that car got bought at salvage for a song and is now back on the road fully functional. ($30k in damage)

We've been over this before when you were talking about trading in the car because it had some deer hair in the underbody, but its pretty insane to trade in a car for this reason.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Personal Choice — not right or wrong, just his call!

— John
Old 04-29-2019, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,171 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
When people talk about cars never being the same after an accident they are not talking about 2 dented panels and some deployed airbags, they are talking about actual structural damage like this head on collision I was in that totaled the car...

And that car got bought at salvage for a song and is now back on the road fully functional. ($30k in damage)

We've been over this before when you were talking about trading in the car because it had some deer hair in the underbody, but its pretty insane to trade in a car for this reason.
agreed, but one man's loss is another's gain!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Any information from your insurance company yet? How much of a financial “hit” are you expecting to take — both any deductible you may have and trading this one in on a ‘19 RS5?

— John
i have a $50 (fifty) deductible. Yes one poster was right I have been through this before and I was ready to trade the car then. But I had great friends and people in the car world look at the car and damage. It was all just bolt on pieces with no paint or body work. This time is different, I am emotionally done. I can’t deal with any paint or body work being done on the car. Some might be able to live with it. But respect my decision not to. I would rather drive a new Kia than this repaired RS5. To me it will never be the same. I will always hear a rattle and see parts not aligned correctly. It’s ver my hard going through something like this.

Insurance came today. We went over the entire car. He didn’t have prices for the headliner, seat, ans many other parts in the car. He came up with a estimate of $11,000. He said he looks for that to double and maybe get close to triple once that start pulling the car apart. They are coming within the next day or so to tow it to Audi Denver. Once it’s there we can start the process of numbers and trading the car.

Last edited by JBDinTX; 04-29-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:44 AM
Club AutoUnion

JBD — I completely support you and your decision, no matter what it is. This is your car and only you can decide what’s the best direction to take for your well being and happiness.

I hope that you have peace with your decision. In your same situation, I’d feel the same way.

— John
Old 04-30-2019, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

$50 deductible and the car comes back brand new (because only one damaged part isn't wholesale bolt in replaceable, the front fender)

or

$20,000+ hit for a new RS5, decisions decisions...