Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

The G22 BMW 4 Series Grille is Still Ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
LOL, there's a lot of plastic in all cars and some hide it better than others, but I'm not sure it's fair to compare an optional leather dash that few people will buy to the standard Audi interior, no? I found Audi to actually have a lot of solid feeling metal *****, of course it's been a year since I last car shopped and checked out other makes and they always leap frog each other. I think a lot of this is subjective. I look at the AMG interior below and sat in something similar, but I don't see this as strikingly better than an RS5. I like it, it's nice, but I think perhaps some people are drawn to the overall design first and then kind of interpret some of the details more harshly than others based on how much they like it overall. Like I might notice this cheap handle or **** here and there in this car but it won't bother me in this other car. Some things I always find tacky like the seat controls on the door.

I do notice the difference in overall plastic use with Lexus though, which is a car maker that's price within reach of the Germans, but when I sit in one I notice most of the ***** and accents really are plastic whereas in a German car the same part would be chrome or metal. For a few years Audi had the chrome-tipped window controls where BMW had all-plastic parts and that made a big difference to me. Overall use of more expensive materials seems to go up with every generation for every car maker. The B9 is getting older than its rivals now so may have got leap-frogged by now. I didn't like the big horizontal fake vent initially at all, in fact the whole horizontal design was a turn off for me coming from a B8. But I changed my mind completely on it now. I don't mind the vent and I've really grown to love the interior. But liking a particular design and shapes, that's completely subjective, someone else might hate it.

I think the term "retro" gets overused, even if you say retro modern. I see nothing of this old car in the new 4-series grille. Just because this one has two stretched ellipses and the new one has two octagons to me the new one doesn't evoke the old one. Literally nothing about them is similar other than the grille is divided in two. I'm not sure that alone can be "retro" anymore than having two headlights. I don't think not being retro is a bad thing, seems to me like some car makers go too far to try to romanticize a car that was never particularly good looking, like a 2002, and convince us that the new car is supposed to remind us of some old car. Especially 80's boxy family cars, I would say that was the lowest point as far as automotive design.
Yeah, I'm not personally a fan of retro styling. I was just trying to shed some light on the origin of the design. I watched a video from a German car magazine where they interviewed a designer from BMW and talked about the whole design and the grill design according to the designer is supposed to hark back to the past. Some potential customers definitely respond to that.

As for the interiors, yes plastic is certainly the dominant material these days, but some is obvious and others is not. Like the use of faux leather, which is technically plastic/synthetic or CF/wood veneer on top of a plastic panel. While there is still plastic underneath or plastic used in the material it looks more high quality and premium. The BMW full leather interior is arguably an extra cost, but leather seats in the Audis are an extra cost, too and customers are willing to pay for it, so I don't see the full leather interior vs. just leather seats that much of a leap. To me it's more that Audi doesn't even offer it, unless you go all out and spring for Audi Individual where I believe you can get a full leather interior if one really wants it, but it'll cost you.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-15-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWombat
Then again, I grew up driving in the 1970s and 1980s, when Detroit was putting out the worst examples of faux luxury ever foisted on to the buying public.
Are you, by chance, referring to Chrysler’s “ . . . Fine Corinthian Leather” as pushed by Ricardo Montalban?

(I think I’m in that same generation you are describing.)

— John
Old 06-15-2020, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Are you, by chance, referring to Chrysler’s “ . . . Fine Corinthian Leather” as pushed by Ricardo Montalban?

(I think I’m in that same generation you are describing.)

— John
Yep, among many others. This was the era of vinyl roofs, including "landau" half-roofs, opera windows, egregiously bad fake wood, and more. Perhaps the worst though was the phase General Motors went through in trying to gussy up the J-platform as the Cimarron.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWombat
Yep, among many others. This was the era of vinyl roofs, including "landau" half-roofs, opera windows, egregiously bad fake wood, and more. Perhaps the worst though was the phase General Motors went through in trying to gussy up the J-platform as the Cimarron.

How manyVinyl Roofs were destroyed by taking those cars through Great Adventures Wild Safari?

Oh, the bad old days.

— John
Old 06-15-2020, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default "retro" is a reference...

As I've mentioned before, both BMW and Audi are trading on futurist themes from the 1930s. BMW characteristically takes it to the point of edginess. I actually like what BMW is doing here, but I'm not surprised by the Audiphile disapproval here.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

BMW took the original kidney grille and modernized it. In my eyes, it really hasn't worked out too well for them. I've owned multiple BMW's up and down the range. I think sticking to the 8 series grille that was wide and edgy would have been better. I also love what Mercedes has done with their interiors.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default the devil is the details...

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
BMW took the original kidney grille and modernized it. In my eyes, it really hasn't worked out too well for them. I've owned multiple BMW's up and down the range. I think sticking to the 8 series grille that was wide and edgy would have been better. I also love what Mercedes has done with their interiors.
They'll get it right, maybe in time for my Gran Coupe.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, I'm not personally a fan of retro styling. I was just trying to shed some light on the origin of the design. I watched a video from a German car magazine where they interviewed a designer from BMW and talked about the whole design and the grill design according to the designer is supposed to hark back to the past. Some potential customers definitely respond to that.
Yea if you listen to designers talk about their design it can get pretty hilarious at times. But hey, they make nice things for us, occasionally.

As for the interiors, yes plastic is certainly the dominant material these days, but some is obvious and others is not. Like the use of faux leather, which is technically plastic/synthetic or CF/wood veneer on top of a plastic panel. While there is still plastic underneath or plastic used in the material it looks more high quality and premium. The BMW full leather interior is arguably an extra cost, but leather seats in the Audis are an extra cost, too and customers are willing to pay for it, so I don't see the full leather interior vs. just leather seats that much of a leap. To me it's more that Audi doesn't even offer it, unless you go all out and spring for Audi Individual where I believe you can get a full leather interior if one really wants it, but it'll cost you.
When I was pricing a BMW 4-series Gran Coupe a while back I saw that in Canada you can get the option of a full leather dash, I believe it was something like $1600. I was wondering if it's worth taking, for that money you can get a lot of functional upgrades. Since I've never seen a BMW equipped with that I would think most people don't believe it's worth it. You can argue BMW is more "high end" because the option is there ready to be ticked, but then you also mention that Audi has individual packages which are even more expensive and more high end, and even less popular probably. IMO when you compare general quality across the brand, it makes sense to compare first and foremost what's widely available and what people actually buy.

As far as leather being high end, that can be argued too. If you watch those Autogefuehl reviews, that Thomas guy is really anti-leather and I think he kind of represents a trend. His angle is the animal cruelty but as a meat-eater myself I respond mainly to the fact that good synthetic materials require less care and last longer. The Lexus Nuluxe seats look and feel as good as leather to me, and I would have paid extra to get Alcantara instead of Nappa leather on my S5 if I had the option because I really prefer the durability, feel, and low maintenance of the Alcantara (for seats anyway, based on 10 years of owning a B8 with Alcantara seats - steering wheel is another story). I don't mind if something is synthetic if it looks good and feels good to the touch. I would indeed be concerned about a leather dashboard's durability, where it gets bombarded by sunlight constantly. On the other hand, you don't sit on a dashboard, so less wear... I'd have to research it.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I doubt most consumers know or care what the historical inspiration is for a given design. In the case of this grille, it reminds me far more of a disproportionately large butt or beaver teeth.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
As far as leather being high end, that can be argued too. If you watch those Autogefuehl reviews, that Thomas guy is really anti-leather and I think he kind of represents a trend. His angle is the animal cruelty but as a meat-eater myself I respond mainly to the fact that good synthetic materials require less care and last longer. The Lexus Nuluxe seats look and feel as good as leather to me, and I would have paid extra to get Alcantara instead of Nappa leather on my S5 if I had the option because I really prefer the durability, feel, and low maintenance of the Alcantara (for seats anyway, based on 10 years of owning a B8 with Alcantara seats - steering wheel is another story). I don't mind if something is synthetic if it looks good and feels good to the touch. I would indeed be concerned about a leather dashboard's durability, where it gets bombarded by sunlight constantly. On the other hand, you don't sit on a dashboard, so less wear... I'd have to research it.
I'm a meat eater myself too but I get the anti-leather arguments. I'm with you in that I'd be perfectly happy with a nice synthetic alternative provided it looked and felt really nice. MB Tex is another good example of artificial leather done well.

Quick Reply: The G22 BMW 4 Series Grille is Still Ugly.