Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Homelink receiver

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
An update.

Let me just say that my garage door motor is now in the hands of Audi in Michigan somewhere for them to use to understand why the purple-buttoned motors don't work with their cars as they should. So no fix yet, but they have for debugging a motor that should work but which they have verified does not.

A new Chamberlin motor with Yellow learn button programmed right away exactly like the car instructs you to do.
Wow! Great news, I hope they figure it out. Please keep us informed and thank you for your efforts.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another Update and Slight Workaround

Hello everyone! This is actually my first post in the forums, but I have been following this thread closely since I got my new S5 Coupe 2 Fridays ago and have been experiencing the same problem with the HomeLink system. I wanted to post a note in here as I've been working with someone at HomeLink directly who has taken it to heart to find a solution to this problem, and I also have a slight workaround which I just confirmed works.

I have a Chamberlain / LiftMaster Professional Formula 1 garage door opener, with the purple learning button and purple wire (Security+, 315MHz). Like everyone else, I can't get the remote to program, but a remote from a Security+ 2.0 system programs without any issue. The HomeLink tech had me try several different things such as remote placement when programming, new battery, etc. Nothing worked. I then mentioned to the tech that I have the aftermarket MyQ retrofit kit installed on my opener (https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...s/model-myqpck). He then had an a-ha! moment and suggested I get a remote for the MyQ system (https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...ls/model-891lm), program my MyQ to that remote, and then use this new remote to program my car... it worked!

For those unfamiliar, MyQ is LiftMaster's "smart-home" device that allows smartphone control of the garage door opener, and other accessories. Remotes that are programmed to the MyQ actually communicate to the MyQ unit using Security+ 2.0, and not the actual garage door opener receiver (Security+). I just happened to have it, so we decided to try it, and it works.

With that said, while I already had the other equipment necessary, it's still not a fix for the real problem: the B9's seem to have a problem with 315MHz frequencies. The good news is that HomeLink is now well aware of the issue (I forwarded the engineer the link to this form post, and he read through all 7 pages), and I've been working with him all week. They have a few new Audis they are doing troubleshooting with and are working to fix the problem. My Audi dealership was unaware of the issue, and I think by some sort of luck I got connected with an engineer who is determined to fix the issue. Even though my workaround does work, I'll still be working with HomeLink to make sure they have the issue understood and figured out.

I'll keep everyone posted of the progress, but we're not all crazy - there's a definite issue with the purple button openers! I guess if you're impatient and want to add some smarthome functionality to your house at the same time, you can grab one of the myQ retrofit kits. But if you don't want to spend extra $, just hang tight. I think they'll have it figured out relatively soon - just a gut feeling though.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

If you want to retrofit hardware, I posted https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=45 earlier in the thread with a similar, less complex retrofit receiver for $50 on Amazon that does the same thing (without the other benefits -- and costs -- of MyQ).

Originally Posted by FrankS5
Hello everyone! This is actually my first post in the forums, but I have been following this thread closely since I got my new S5 Coupe 2 Fridays ago and have been experiencing the same problem with the HomeLink system. I wanted to post a note in here as I've been working with someone at HomeLink directly who has taken it to heart to find a solution to this problem, and I also have a slight workaround which I just confirmed works.

I have a Chamberlain / LiftMaster Professional Formula 1 garage door opener, with the purple learning button and purple wire (Security+, 315MHz). Like everyone else, I can't get the remote to program, but a remote from a Security+ 2.0 system programs without any issue. The HomeLink tech had me try several different things such as remote placement when programming, new battery, etc. Nothing worked. I then mentioned to the tech that I have the aftermarket MyQ retrofit kit installed on my opener (https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...s/model-myqpck). He then had an a-ha! moment and suggested I get a remote for the MyQ system (https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...ls/model-891lm), program my MyQ to that remote, and then use this new remote to program my car... it worked!

For those unfamiliar, MyQ is LiftMaster's "smart-home" device that allows smartphone control of the garage door opener, and other accessories. Remotes that are programmed to the MyQ actually communicate to the MyQ unit using Security+ 2.0, and not the actual garage door opener receiver (Security+). I just happened to have it, so we decided to try it, and it works.

With that said, while I already had the other equipment necessary, it's still not a fix for the real problem: the B9's seem to have a problem with 315MHz frequencies. The good news is that HomeLink is now well aware of the issue (I forwarded the engineer the link to this form post, and he read through all 7 pages), and I've been working with him all week. They have a few new Audis they are doing troubleshooting with and are working to fix the problem. My Audi dealership was unaware of the issue, and I think by some sort of luck I got connected with an engineer who is determined to fix the issue. Even though my workaround does work, I'll still be working with HomeLink to make sure they have the issue understood and figured out.

I'll keep everyone posted of the progress, but we're not all crazy - there's a definite issue with the purple button openers! I guess if you're impatient and want to add some smarthome functionality to your house at the same time, you can grab one of the myQ retrofit kits. But if you don't want to spend extra $, just hang tight. I think they'll have it figured out relatively soon - just a gut feeling though.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you want to retrofit hardware, I posted https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=45 earlier in the thread with a similar, less complex retrofit receiver for $50 on Amazon that does the same thing (without the other benefits -- and costs -- of MyQ).
I did notice that, but to be honest I thought it looked more complex and expensive than the MyQ. I remember buying mine a few years ago for about $40 and it's literally just 2 wires. You just change the button on the wall with the new one. And in the case of LiftMaster, I wouldn't really consider it a retrofit - more of an upgrade since it's pretty much plug and play.

Regardless, the point I waned to make is that the guys at HomeLink are actively working on a solution.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FrankS5
I did notice that, but to be honest I thought it looked more complex and expensive than the MyQ. I remember buying mine a few years ago for about $40 and it's literally just 2 wires. You just change the button on the wall with the new one. And in the case of LiftMaster, I wouldn't really consider it a retrofit - more of an upgrade since it's pretty much plug and play.

Regardless, the point I waned to make is that the guys at HomeLink are actively working on a solution.
I think the MyQ is more expensive when you factor in a remote as well as the gateway. Also, MyQ is trying to charge a yearly fee to allow their gateway you've already bought to be used with Alexa, Google Assistant, or IFTTT, which is pretty unacceptable, so you're stuck with their pretty lame app unless you want to pay them a subscription fee that's pure profit for them.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the MyQ is more expensive when you factor in a remote as well as the gateway. Also, MyQ is trying to charge a yearly fee to allow their gateway you've already bought to be used with Alexa, Google Assistant, or IFTTT, which is pretty unacceptable, so you're stuck with their pretty lame app unless you want to pay them a subscription fee that's pure profit for them.
One more quick point -- they are basically the same in terms of how both of these gateways interface with your existing garage door motor, they just attach to the "physical button" input on the motor, so setup (except for the MyQ wifi part) is basically the same.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Not an A5/S5, but my parent's new 2018 SQ5 linked to a purple button/ purple wire with no issues. I am getting an S5 later this month and I'll report back whether or not it works.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Not an A5/S5, but my parent's new 2018 SQ5 linked to a purple button/ purple wire with no issues. I am getting an S5 later this month and I'll report back whether or not it works.

Not to hijack the thread, but I am dying to know what model, color and options you ordered for your new S5 SYMAWD. I take it it is replacing one of the A3's or the A6?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Not to hijack the thread, but I am dying to know what model, color and options you ordered for your new S5 SYMAWD. I take it it is replacing one of the A3's or the A6?
I'll make a thread when I pick it up. A3 is mine, etron is my brother's and my parents share the A6 and SQ5.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Im guessing it won't work. The engineer I'm working with was doing tests on a Q5 and didn't experience the issue, but on an S5 did experience it. At this point they're assuming there is some kind of interference with the 315MHz frequency due to where the transmitter and antenna are placed in the S5 (it's actually in the rear bumper, and the antenna is located near the floor of the rear driver side according to the engineer). But - if you have another outcome I'm sure we'd all love to know!

Originally Posted by SYMAWD