Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Just Bought a '18 Sportback and, Well...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:12 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Seriously, the RS5 Sportback might be just the ticket you need to scratch that performance itch.

Maybe you can enjoy the S5 for the time being and order what you really want 12 months from now?

This but in the Sportback would be killer.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Was anyone else disturbed when he buckled on those driving gloves? Is it still 1970 where he lives?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

They should have been velcro!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
I recently purchased a '18 S5 Sportback Prestige, fully loaded. What I like are the new technology features inside, it's quite comfortable, I appreciate the safety features, it's spacious, looks, and the handling is quite nice. What I don't like is the performance, or the lack of it. I come from a long line of not only performance cars, but ultra high performance. I admit I'm starting to feel some buyer's remorse. I really want much better acceleration. The low end acceleration is boggy. I would like to do something to enhance the vehicle's performance but don't want to play that cat and mouse game by hiding a tune from Audi. Did that with a Stage 2 S4 I owned, and while I really, really liked the increased performance the tune gave me, it was a hassle taking the car to the tuner to flash to stock, go in for service at Audi, then back to the tuner to flash back to my tune. Plus I had to pay the tuner. Another alternative is to trade the S5 back in and get a TT RS. However I would probably take a financial hit in the thousands, and the TT RS would end up costing me more than the S5. And not only would I give up space in the vehicle, but the TT RS may not have all the option packages the S5 has. Any suggestions or am I just going to have to live with my purchase for another three years, before it is worth it to sell and move on to something else?
Are you in the US? It's only a cat and mouse game if you start having problems and they can prove that your modification or tune caused the issue.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The AMG, gtr, and Maserati have anywhere between 100-200 more HP, and cost $20-60k more. Expecting an S4/5 to perform like one of those is unrealistic.
The S4/5 was built for a much different purpose. It is not an ‘ultra high’ performance car, as the gtr, AMG, and Maserati are.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
Supposedly these cars start in 2nd gear to save fuel, and this may cause the boggy acceleration.

In general, I'm surprised by how high the real-world fuel consumption is on these cars (even with whatever Audi is doing to mitigate that).
They don't - you can see the gear it's in merely by putting it into manual mode.

You've owned some of the laggiest turbo cars out there - so I'm not quite understanding where the "it's laggy" opinion is coming from, but, to each their own I suppose

Last edited by SCarGuy; 01-22-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by freshpow78
Are you in the US? It's only a cat and mouse game if you start having problems and they can prove that your modification or tune caused the issue.
And even then, it need not be a cat and mouse game whatsoever. The more upfront you are with the dealership decision makers, and your intentions, the easier things go.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
They don't - you can see the gear it's in merely by putting it into manual mode.

You've owned some of the laggiest turbo cars out there - so I'm not quite understanding where the "it's laggy" opinion is coming from, but, to each their own I suppose
It does start in S2 most times when you are in auto mode, and definitely when in D. There's a VCS mod to show the gearing when in auto (non-manual mode) -- definitely worth doing.

In general, I find this isn't an issue for me as I mostly drive in manual mode with Dynamic and switching from S. Car is plenty peppy with no lag.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Some reviews early on all mentioned that the ZF 8 speed in the S4/S5 starts the car in second gear to save fuel which can result in a sluggish start.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 01-22-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by scoopman
It does start in S2 most times when you are in auto mode, and definitely when in D. There's a VCS mod to show the gearing when in auto (non-manual mode) -- definitely worth doing.

In general, I find this isn't an issue for me as I mostly drive in manual mode with Dynamic and switching from S. Car is plenty peppy with no lag.
Which is why I specifically mentioned manual mode. But yes, you can flash it to show the gear regardless of auto/manual mode

I agree, having owned so many turbo cars over the years, and several of the same cars the OP has shown, to say this is laggy - I could not disagree more.

Quick Reply: Just Bought a '18 Sportback and, Well...