Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Please reduce oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. "New-ish" S5 B9 Coupe owner. Car less than 1 year old and ran into this exact issue during the cold weather snap here in Oregon. Took it into the dealer and they did reduce the oil level slightly, also updated the SW because I referred to the aforementioned TSB. Completed this Monday, weather conditions have been the same (still cold) and no further warning light. Hopefully that helps folks.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
the gas could be leaking by an idle fuel injector, very common problem with direct injection engines.
Yes. Sounds like oil dilution. Honda having problems with it in the turbocharged 1.5 in the CRV.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...sue-2017-2018/
Old 02-28-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default So get an oilanasis.

Originally Posted by J. Patterson

Yes. Sounds like oil dilution. Honda having problems with it in the turbocharged 1.5 in the CRV.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...sue-2017-2018/
Oil analysis.

if nobody else else has suggested it.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com

Oil analysis.

if nobody else else has suggested it.

YES. Good idea to do that. Wait till nearer the end of the service interval and get a sample.

Short description of what causes this. Direct injection engines spray atomized fuel directly into the combustion chamber. If the engine is really cold, some of that liquid fuel condenses on the cylinder walls and gets forced past the rings into the crankcase. If some fuel goes there rather than being burned, the O2 sensors see a lean condition and add even more fuel to the cylinder to compensate. This happens more when idling and when it is cold. Under normal conditions and longer drives this fuel evaporates out of the oil and gets burned through the crankcase ventilation system. If it’s really cold with lots of idling and or short drives, there is not sufficient time or temperature for this to happen. The fuel builds up in the oil and the oil level rises. I would suggest shorter oil change intervals under cold conditions.
The following users liked this post:
JBall7467 (01-17-2020)
Old 03-01-2019, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Always good to avoid long idles and take the car out for a long drive, to prevent conditions such as the one mentioned above or any other kind of sludge build up.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Short description of what causes this. Direct injection engines spray atomized fuel directly into the combustion chamber. If the engine is really cold, some of that liquid fuel condenses on the cylinder walls and gets forced past the rings into the crankcase. If some fuel goes there rather than being burned, the O2 sensors see a lean condition and add even more fuel to the cylinder to compensate. This happens more when idling and when it is cold. Under normal conditions and longer drives this fuel evaporates out of the oil and gets burned through the crankcase ventilation system. If it’s really cold with lots of idling and or short drives, there is not sufficient time or temperature for this to happen. The fuel builds up in the oil and the oil level rises. I would suggest shorter oil change intervals under cold conditions.
Thanks for the explanation, it helps in understanding the problem...

Old 03-01-2019, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Always good to avoid long idles and take the car out for a long drive, to prevent conditions such as the one mentioned above or any other kind of sludge build up.
Great. I read this 5:15am as I had just turned on my car to warm up in the driveway in frozen Oregon. I quickly jumped into the car and took it for a drive (long enough to warm up) before hitting the pool. :-)
Old 03-01-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

Great. I read this 5:15am as I had just turned on my car to warm up in the driveway in frozen Oregon. I quickly jumped into the car and took it for a drive (long enough to warm up) before hitting the pool. :-)
lol, in the winter, i warm my car up for about 1 minute and in the summer, 30 seconds, just enough time for the oil to get circulated to the top of the engine. If you have a forzen car, there is no way around a long idle but it is not the best thing to do to an engine.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Please reduce oil level"/TSB #2050690/2

24702599 Software update for ECM 4898 WA03
Had car serviced this morning. ECM software was upgraded.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

Chiming in: My B9 S5SB also had this issue on a particularly cold week. I do fairly short trips (10 km one way with a stop at daycare to pick up the rugrat). Dealership found 18 mm of oil where there should be 16 mm. Said the oil didn't smell of fuel. Just had the oil changed at one year, so hopefully it won't come come back.

Quick Reply: Please reduce oil level?