Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Questions while I wait for my 18 S5 Coupe to get here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Unlike BMW and Mercedes, Audi doesn't send sounds through the speakers, uses a Soundaktor, as did the B8. Fuse can be pulled, your manual will detail which fuse it is. Works in conjunction with the exhaust flap.
I was told this car didn't have a soundaktor (speaker/vibrator hooked to the windshield) by the sales guy (I know....) does anyone know whats really going on with some documentation?

Not saying you're wrong becaue my searching indicates it does have one attached to the widnshield, but it all seems like conjecture.

Last edited by ArvX147; 11-16-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I was told this car didn't have a soundaktor (speaker/vibrator hooked to the windshield) by the sales guy (I know....) does anyone know whats really going on with some documentation?

Not saying you're wrong becaue my searching indicates it does have one attached to the widnshield, but it all seems like conjecture.
Sorry, I missed this post.

The S5 does have a Soundaktor, or sound actuator. You already have the car, so simply see whether yours has a fuse in the slot reserved for the Soundaktor, as I mentioned in my earlier post. That is the best solution to remove conjecture - look for yourself

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
So, does that mean it is recorded, fake noise?
No it does not play recorded sounds. It is a vibration device that excites resonance in what it is attached to. Unlike a speaker, it doesn't make any sound itself. It is also fitted to some Volkswagen (such as Golf R) and Porsche models, notably the 718, which needs all the help it can get. In the case of Audi, and the S4/S5, it is using the windshield to make the "noise".

Either pull the fuse, or use Drive Select's Individual mode with exhaust set to comfort. Then cycle between D and S transmission mode - I am guessing that in this case the Soundaktor is not Aktiv (), and the difference you hear between D and S is purely the exhaust flaps. The B9 models are well isolated, not much external noise gets in. The exterior sound of the S5 vs the interior sound is pretty close in character, both with and without exhaust flaps open. By comparison, I find a BMW 440i to sound quite different external vs internal. No big deal either way, most current cars are using some form of internal sound augmentation. Better isolation, forced induction and increasing noise restrictions in many markets requires it. I preferred the sound of my B8 S5 personally, but neither is a V10, V8 or straight 5. Those are the Audis engines to buy for noise character.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Sorry, I missed this post.

The S5 does have a Soundaktor, or sound actuator. You already have the car, so simply see whether yours has a fuse in the slot reserved for the Soundaktor, as I mentioned in my earlier post. That is the best solution to remove conjecture - look for yourself

No it does not play recorded sounds. It is a vibration device that excites resonance in what it is attached to. Unlike a speaker, it doesn't make any sound itself. It is also fitted to some Volkswagen (such as Golf R) and Porsche models, notably the 718, which needs all the help it can get. In the case of Audi, and the S4/S5, it is using the windshield to make the "noise".

Either pull the fuse, or use Drive Select's Individual mode with exhaust set to comfort. Then cycle between D and S transmission mode - I am guessing that in this case the Soundaktor is not Aktiv (), and the difference you hear between D and S is purely the exhaust flaps. The B9 models are well isolated, not much external noise gets in. The exterior sound of the S5 vs the interior sound is pretty close in character, both with and without exhaust flaps open. By comparison, I find a BMW 440i to sound quite different external vs internal. No big deal either way, most current cars are using some form of internal sound augmentation. Better isolation, forced induction and increasing noise restrictions in many markets requires it. I preferred the sound of my B8 S5 personally, but neither is a V10, V8 or straight 5. Those are the Audis engines to buy for noise character.
Great post. Need a 'like' button. Thank you!