Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 B9 Engine Oil Smelling Of Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 B9 Engine Oil Smelling Of Gas?

I opened my engine oil cap and I can smell petrol/gas when smelling inside or when smelling the oil cap. Is the smell normal? The car does sit a lot and a lot of the time it is driven short distances.

I previously had an issue where oil was coming out of the oil cap due to a breather pipe issue but it has now been fixed. Booked in to get the oil changed in a few days.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2022, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 596 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by sebnagy22
I opened my engine oil cap and I can smell petrol/gas when smelling inside or when smelling the oil cap. Is the smell normal? The car does sit a lot and a lot of the time it is driven short distances.

I previously had an issue where oil was coming out of the oil cap due to a breather pipe issue but it has now been fixed. Booked in to get the oil changed in a few days.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Yes, that's to be expected with lots of cold starts and driving short distances. The engine is unable to come up to operating temperature and burn off the hydrocarbons. You should be changing your oil more frequently since it's being diluted.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Yes, that's to be expected with lots of cold starts and driving short distances. The engine is unable to come up to operating temperature and burn off the hydrocarbons. You should be changing your oil more frequently since it's being diluted.
Recently I have driven longer journeys where the engine has reached optimal temps. Shouldn’t the smell evaporate from the oil if the engine comes up to operating temperature?
Old 11-07-2022, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 288 Likes on 233 Posts

Recently I have driven longer journeys where the engine has reached optimal temps. Shouldn’t the smell evaporate from the oil if the engine comes up to operating temperature?
How recent? Yes the longer journey may have cleaned things out but it probably only takes a few short trips (timewise, how long are yours) for your nose to smell petrol again. If driving less than 5000 miles per year, definitely consider more frequent oil changes.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Depends, are you looking at the engine coolant temperature or the oil temperature? You need to drive long enough so the oil gets up to temperature too and stays there long enough to burn off the hydrocarbons.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Depends, are you looking at the engine coolant temperature or the oil temperature? You need to drive long enough so the oil gets up to temperature too and stays there long enough to burn off the hydrocarbons.
Looking at the oil temperature, I recently done a 100 mile round trip and it still smelt like gas/petrol after it when the engine got cold.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Looking at the oil temperature, I recently done a 100 mile round trip and it still smelt like gas/petrol after it when the engine got cold.
As mentioned above, it could be that there's so much build up that it hasn't all been cleared out or you're starting to get sludge. After you get your oil changed, see what the oil smells like after several long drives.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:00 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

As mentioned above, it could be that there's so much build up that it hasn't all been cleared out or you're starting to get sludge. After you get your oil changed, see what the oil smells like after several long drives.
Or, have the oil currently in your crankcase analyzed before you have your next oil change. There are a number of reputable firms that offer this service.

I personally use Blackstone as my lab of choice. They have been around for a number of years and have a solid reputation.

— John
The following users liked this post:
BK_AudiFan (11-08-2022)