Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 not selling, prices dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Abtpl

I didn’t say better nor I compared the two designs. I know what I know, and I can simply say that not having the B pillar right on my side is an “advantage” for me! And frankly who would complain about that...
In theory, you are right, but I don't think I can say that the B Pillar ever created a blind spot on my S5. With lane assist and if your mirrors are adjusted correctly, sometimes I don't even turn my head when changing lane.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default funny...

Originally Posted by The G Man
In theory, you are right, but I don't think I can say that the B Pillar ever created a blind spot on my S5. With lane assist and if your mirrors are adjusted correctly, sometimes I don't even turn my head when changing lane.
If you are used to a coupe - six in a row over 23 years for me - you can feel the proximity of the B pillar at first: it feels a bit claustrophobic. But actually it impedes vision less than in a coupe when doing a shoulder check for traffic approaching from behind. As a motorcyclist I can't stop shoulder checking, but with the proper wide angle mirror placement and blind spot monitor it is largely redundant. With both of my last two coupes - the E92 M3 and 435i xDrive - I had occasional issues with traffic approaching rapidly from the rear being invisible due to the more rearward placement of the B pillar. I would have been better off with suppressing the shoulder check and relying more on the mirrors.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
If you are used to a coupe - six in a row over 23 years for me - you can feel the proximity of the B pillar at first: it feels a bit claustrophobic. But actually it impedes vision less than in a coupe when doing a shoulder check for traffic approaching from behind. As a motorcyclist I can't stop shoulder checking, but with the proper wide angle mirror placement and blind spot monitor it is largely redundant. With both of my last two coupes - the E92 M3 and 435i xDrive - I had occasional issues with traffic approaching rapidly from the rear being invisible due to the more rearward placement of the B pillar. I would have been better off with suppressing the shoulder check and relying more on the mirrors.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the more rearward placement of the B pillar in a coupe actually just blocks a different area in the adjacent lane when doing a shoulder check.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default angle...

Originally Posted by The G Man
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the more rearward placement of the B pillar in a coupe actually just blocks a different area in the adjacent lane when doing a shoulder check.
Yes, but due to the angle of view a more rearward car shrinks and can be completely occluded by the more rearward placement of the B pillar in a coupe, whereas a shoulder check will always reveal a car right beside you even with the B pillar right beside your head.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
Yes, but due to the angle of view a more rearward car shrinks and can be completely occluded by the more rearward placement of the B pillar in a coupe, whereas a shoulder check will always reveal a car right beside you even with the B pillar right beside your head.
On my drive to lunch, I tested out your theory and I completely understand what you are saying now. If I do a shoulder check in my sportback, I am looking out the rear window into the adjacent lane, if I have a coupe, that line of sight would be occluded by the more rearward B pillar.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Well my Personal Opinion is always a Coupe - why have 4 Doors when 2 are enough? I much prefer the look of the S5 Coupe.

But, as I said, this is my Personal Opinion!
With 2 kids and their massive car seats, 4 doors is the only option!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by howdoesishotweb
With 2 kids and their massive car seats, 4 doors is the only option!

Understandable. Just my wife and I - and she’s driving her SUV - so you and I are at opposite ends of the “needs” rail.