Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Solar3
First I'm glad we have three (four if you add the Alfa) incredible models to choose from in this segment and to the extent that each manufacturer has to up their game every few years I think it's absolutely great.

But I also cross-shopped with a 2019 C63S (both Coupe and Sedan) and even had an order for a 2019 Sedan for a while before getting the RS 5 SB and my opinion definitely differs from yours.

First of all I don't get why AMG sells the C63 model (non-S) and why anyone would buy one. Whether there's enough of a performance gap between the S and RS models is an interesting topic but the C63/C63S range makes absolutely no sense to me. I also think that truly AMG-specific options that you can see are very expensive: performance seats $2.5k, carbon fiber packages $$$ so yes AMG has more unique options at the top end but it better be very important to you because it's going to painful when doing the build.

Being able to pick specific options is awesome until you get that sinking feeling that you missed out on a feature you didn't know you'd like because the feature description was lacking and now you're screwed. Or when you realize that cars $30k cheaper than yours have more tech... If that doesn't bother you then great I guess but I would bother me - a lot. I also have no idea how you spec an AMG to $82k but that's cool. My RS 5 SB was spec'd at $87k or so and I don't think I would drop any of its options.

Tech evolves all the time, I don't feel Audi is behind in any way across new models and refreshes. Did you know that in MY 2018 AMG C-class you had to choose between CarPlay and Navi? I feel I never had to make such a silly choice with any of Audi cars I purchased.

Then there are the looks. I'm pretty discerning of cars and it always takes me a few moments to figure out whether that four-door C-class that passed by was an AMG or not (badge on the side? quad pipes?). So pretty much guaranteed no one will have a clue that car is special; well until you open it up of course. I think AMG does a particularly bad job with the Sedan in making it stand out (and we don't get all the options in the U.S.) but maybe that'll get better with the new model.

By contrast I think everyone pretty much agrees the RS 5 SB looks absolutely gorgeous and it definitely "gets looks" (as do C63S Coupe and RS 5 also do IMHO). Is it as good a performance car and does it sound as good as the C63S AMG? No it doesn't so if that's what you value the most then nothing wrong with picking the AMG.

Having said that I think the 2019 C63S Coupe fully spec'd looks absolutely awesome. I do miss the AMG Drive Unit even though I was incredibly happy when I realized Audi let me program the "*" steering wheel button to control the Drive Select mode.

Bottom line for me I love that we have several great options and you can pick based on what you value the most (and can afford).

-- Solar3
2019 RS 5 Sportback - Glacier White/Black Optic
Since I'm converting from Audi RS to AMG, I can add a few thoughts. My 2019 C63S coupe is currently in production. The non-S vs S situation is not unusual. Many manufactures are doing that. Porsche goes crazy with this. It's essentially similar to the Carrera vs Carrera S, or Macan vs Macan S etc. Audi has started this, too, with the S8 vs S8 Plus, and RS7 vs RS7 Performance. Rumor is that an RS5 Performance is in the works. The C63 non-S is apparently very popular in Europe whereas it seems in the USA most order the S. I agree with you on the sedan. I'm also not very smitten by it. There are clear favorites it seems with each brand. For the C63, the coupe is the one to get. It got more focus from AMG. For example it has a unique rear axle, whereas the sedan is essentially the standard C-class sedan from about the B-pillar back, with some added visual bits and different suspension, but the coupe got reworked completely and given a wider track all around and actually rides more comfortable than the sedan, and not the mention the new aero package exclusive to the coupe, which of course I had to get :-). For the RS5 it seems the Sportback is the one to get. The coupe hasn't been doing so well. Price-wise they are in the same ballpark really. An RS5 with carbon exterior bits and pretty much equally configured came out to about the same as my C63S if I exclude things like the areo package, that don't have an equivalent on the RS5.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-22-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Personal opinions is all you gonna get I think. Everybody comes from a different background and a different situation and values different things more than others, but let me try to address some of your specific points.
  • Performance: More of the same is probably what I would say it boils down to. The engine core is shared between the two. The RS5 version is reinforced, has two turbos instead of one and a slightly different bore which is what makes it a 2.9 vs 3.0. Bottom line, it's faster and has more power. Less turbo lag, because each turbo only has to feed 3 cylinders, so they are smaller with less inertia. Torque curves and power delivery are largely the same, just more. The RS5's torque curve raises steeper and quicker and max torque comes in at 2000 rpm vs 3000 rpm in the S4/5. Both go flat at the top as many turbo charged engines do. Here are the torque and power curves for both: RS5 https://i.imgur.com/4NpKeba.jpg, S4/5 http://gallery.audiworld.com/albums/...dium.sized.jpg
  • Exhaust: Never heard the standard exhaust. Not sure anybody buys it w/o the sport exhaust, but the sport exhaust is still lacking IMO. A more assertive hair dryer I guess. The pops and bangs are kinda weird from inside the cabin. Sounds like you kidnapped somebody and they are banging against the trunk. They are very muffled from the inside. Overall the sound isn't particularly exciting. It's more of a refined sound.
Thanks everyone for the responses and discussion... especially superswiss; That was exactly the type of response that I was hoping for.

Since this thread seems to be getting off track, I just wanted to reestablish my intent for this discussion...

First, for the record I never intended to insinuate this idea that keeps coming up of, “if you can afford it you’d get an RS”, or anything related to its value proposition.

I was hoping this thread would assume anyone can afford it, or simply assume that isn’t a relevant facet of the conversation. I was, and still am, just wondering what it’s LIKE to experience the RS5 versus the S5 since I own a fully loaded S5, but my local dealer won’t let me drive his ‘only fully loaded Nardo RS5SB’ bc he doesn’t ‘want to put miles on it’. [Which, is frankly silly bc I’m his ideal customer and will prob be buying that exact build in 2-3 years when my s5sb peaks 60k miles or so, but I digress]

Back to the intent of this thread: I’m still hoping for more subjective descriptions of the RS experience ... stuff like “it feels faster, but not in another league”, or “it’s a whole other class and makes the s5 feel like a snail on quaaludes” or “it feels exactly 6.4% faster”, or “**** knows the difference unless you’re on a track”... etc.

Everyone knows that some people find the value lacking. Everyone knows that on paper it’s about 3/4 seconds faster to 60. Everyone knows it is around 3/4 second faster in the 1/4. Everyone knows it’s 20k more expensive fully loaded .. I’m not asking for that... I’m hoping people tell me how it makes them feel. Be creative!

Heck, even better, maybe someone has one has raced an s5 and can tell us how many car lengths you pulled!

Also, as someone who has aftermarket exhaust and can’t live without it, I’m still super curious how it stacks up against other options on the market sensationally.

Anyway... hope that helps focus this conversation... thanks everyone!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Islandinthesky
... I was, and still am, just wondering what it’s LIKE to experience the RS5 versus the S5 since I own a fully loaded S5, but my local dealer won’t let me drive his ‘only fully loaded Nardo RS5SB’ bc he doesn’t ‘want to put miles on it’. [Which, is frankly silly bc I’m his ideal customer and will prob be buying that exact build in 2-3 years when my s5sb peaks 60k miles or so, but I digress]...
If you don't plan on buying for 2-3 years then I can kind of see the dealers point of view. Just wait 2-3 years when you're back in the market plus who knows what other options will be out there at that time that you might be considering too.

Any ways, before the RS5 SB was announced I was set on getting the S5 SB but was going to wait for the second model year hoping for the black optic package. Then about a year ago they announced the RS5 SB and I just loved the looks of it a whole lot better then the S5 SB and what's not to like about more power as well as some of the other features like DRC. If I went with the S5 SB I figured I was going to do looks and performance mods to bump it to the RS5 level which was just going to cost $$$ that ate into the price difference between the S5 SB and the RS5 SB so why not just get the real thing, have a warranty and have even more headroom in the future for more performance if I wanted to go down that route. .

Last edited by heymoe; 02-22-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
If you don't plan on buying for 2-3 years then I can kind of see the dealers point of view. Just wait 2-3 years when you're back in the market plus who knows what other options will be out there at that time that you might be considering too.
Exactly!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, everything is relative. I had a B8 2013 RS5 nearing 80k miles in the spring of 2017. Wanted a new RS5, but not available at that time so I ordered a 2018 S5. Picked it up in August of 2017. Very nice car, but not an RS. Drove it for around 11k miles. So, winter (March) of 2018 I order a 2018 RS5. Picked it up in July of 2018. What a difference! Sure the interior is much the same ( I had carbon in the S5), and generally easy ride is similar. But what a difference when you get aggressive! Better sounds, better response, better everything! Did I lose $ on the deal, sure I did, but I got what I wanted in the first place. No regrets, happy camper and zero issues with the new RS5.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mhblaw
Well, everything is relative. I had a B8 2013 RS5 nearing 80k miles in the spring of 2017. Wanted a new RS5, but not available at that time so I ordered a 2018 S5. Picked it up in August of 2017. Very nice car, but not an RS. Drove it for around 11k miles. So, winter (March) of 2018 I order a 2018 RS5. Picked it up in July of 2018. What a difference! Sure the interior is much the same ( I had carbon in the S5), and generally easy ride is similar. But what a difference when you get aggressive! Better sounds, better response, better everything! Did I lose $ on the deal, sure I did, but I got what I wanted in the first place. No regrets, happy camper and zero issues with the new RS5.
That was similar to my upgrade path on the S3; the RS3 was not available yet. Settled on the S3 and wasn't happy with that platform. Wanted a larger car and I did the S before and just wasn't pleased.I think the most significant difference between the S5/RS5 Sportback is the suspension. The interiors are always going to be similar to that has been Audi's strategy for a while now.The S5 is fun and will make you giggle. But the RS5 will have you say holy crap as you launch it on dynamic. Then there is the exclusivity factor on RS cars; this is quite subtle. In my neighboorhood, there are 3 S5's, several S4's, S3's, a couple of panoramas, three series up the roof, X3M40is, a few Maseratis but I'm the only RS car. Also today a masterati challenged the RS5 and I was surprised at how slow these cars are but they do look beautiful.If I could live without a hatchback and AWD (that's a huge *IF*) I'd probably be driving the quadrifoglio.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also think that truly AMG-specific options that you can see are very expensive: performance seats $2.5k, carbon fiber packages $$$ so yes AMG has more unique options at the top end but it better be very important to you because it's going to painful when doing the build.
These are the notable standard options I noticed in C63S compared to other AMG or the regular C-Class models. Note that many are standard even on the C63. The equivalents (if Audi offers) on the RS5 are options unfortunately and they easily add up to the price. My point was that Audi so far haven't considered adding more differentiating features exclusive to RS5, and probably even making many of them standard in RS5.
- 19" AMG exclusive wheels
- AMG Performance Exhaust
- AMG Drive Unit
- AMG exclusive Nappa leather seats (the performance seat is still an option but you still pay relatively less with C63S if you need the upgrade)
- RACE mode exclusive to C63S
- AMG 3-stage damping suspension
- Electronic LSD
- Burmester Surround Sound System
- AMG Performance Steering wheel
- Emotion Start to open the exhaust flaps while starting the car (MY 2019)
There are other options like AMG Track Pace (for Telemetrics, lap times, etc.) that come at no additional cost on C63S with the Multimedia package. Even on C63 it is a reasonably priced extra with the Multimedia package.

The option prices for few AMG specific options like AMG perf seats, AMG carbon fiber interior are lesser in C63S compared to a C63.

I also have no idea how you spec an AMG to $82k but that's cool. My RS 5 SB was spec'd at $87k or so and I don't think I would drop any of its options.
This was how I specced by 2019 AMG C63S, the MSRP with taxes is $82,755. I was not interested in paying extra for DAP unless it was a standard option. The choice of options was also based on the fact that I intend to use the car mostly just for spirited driving in canyons and on the track few times a year.
Brilliant Blue Metallic Paint (896)
19" AMG Twin 5-Spoke R01, B51 Wheels (RSW)
Red Pepper / Black Nappa Leather Seats (857)
Natural Grain Black Ash Wood (737 + 739)
Exterior Lighting Package (319)
Multimedia Package (320)
Parking Assistance Package (996)
Head-Up Display (463)
12.3" Digital Instrument Cluster (464)
64-Color Ambient Lighting (877+U25)
The close equivalent 2019 RS5 Sportback with the same options I wanted comes to $85,290.
- Metallic Paint
- Nappa Leather Package
- Dynamic Package
- B&O Speakers
- RS DAP (for HUD and Top View Camera mainly)
Tech evolves all the time, I don't feel Audi is behind in any way across new models and refreshes. Did you know that in MY 2018 AMG C-class you had to choose between CarPlay and Navi? I feel I never had to make such a silly choice with any of Audi cars I purchased.
Yes I agree with you that pre-2019 C-Class offering was awful when it came to choosing between either between either of AndroidAuto/CarPlay or Navi. Audi has generally done quite well in the tech department, but my point was that there is still room for improvement. I feel Audi offers the common features that most people would prefer as additional options or packages (that you need to pay extra). This probably makes sense in a $40k car, but in a $85k+ car?. How about adding some exclusive tech features in RS5 specific to track/race/telemetry? Why make a good sound system an optional upgrade on a car when most people pay $85k+ for the car? Same for leather seats? The RS5 leather seats are hardly differentiating vs S5. The tech is going to catch up with the A6/A8 probably in 2020/2021, but how much is Audi going to bump up the base price and/or price of packages/options when the tech evolves? These might be more tempting differentiating features IMO when comparing a RS5 vs S5, and I didn't see this unfortunately with the 2019 RS5.

Then there are the looks. I'm pretty discerning of cars and it always takes me a few moments to figure out whether that four-door C-class that passed by was an AMG or not (badge on the side? quad pipes?). So pretty much guaranteed no one will have a clue that car is special; well until you open it up of course. I think AMG does a particularly bad job with the Sedan in making it stand out (and we don't get all the options in the U.S.) but maybe that'll get better with the new model.
Agree on the C63 Coupe having slightly better styling compared to the sedan, but disagree that you can't tell an AMG C63/C63S sedan apart from other C-Class sedans. The grille (Panamericana), tail (spoiler, diffuser, exhaust tips), height and the wheels are unique in C63/C63S vs rest of C-class just like how they are in RS5 vs S5, otherwise the same argument could be made with the Audi S vs RS models too. C300 Coupe vs C63S Coupe rear also has the same differences as the sedan equivalent. C63/C63S sedans do not have the same rear track width and wider rear fenders as the coupe however. This I guess is the reason you feel it's not easy to differentiate?

Agree that RS5 definitely has wider fenders and track width vs S5, making it easy to differentiate. As I said I prefer the styling of the Audis any day over Mercedes, but at least in my personal view the cons overweigh this aspect.

Bottom line for me I love that we have several great options and you can pick based on what you value the most (and can afford).
+1 to this. I hope we continue getting more choices between manufacturers to keep things competitive and manufacturers continue to innovate in the areas we deeply care.

Overall, each one has their own personal preferences they use for making their choices and I felt for my preferences, For me, Audi RS5 has lagged quite a bit for MY 2019 compared to C63S. If this improves let's say in 2020, at a competitive price range and it happens prior to me making the actual purchase, I wouldn't mind choosing an RS5. I apologize if I have derailed the thread, and hopefully is the last post from me in this thread which brings up the C63S.

Last edited by tuxdude; 02-23-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default the rather plain look of the C63S sedan is a plus...

When I configure it the way I like it (no exterior upgrades) in Canada it comes to $92,390. A really nice sleeper. With the RS5 you've just got to go with the $5600 Carbon Optics package. The car looks great but the damage is a staggering $101,540.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
When I configure it the way I like it (no exterior upgrades) in Canada it comes to $92,390. A really nice sleeper. With the RS5 you've just got to go with the $5600 Carbon Optics package. The car looks great but the damage is a staggering $101,540.
You don't even get a virtual cockpit with the default car, forcing you to get a package.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 497 Likes on 338 Posts

Very funny from the Canadian guys.

The base Canadian price for the RS5 Sportback is CAD84,350. The German price for the identical spec (a lot of options required to get to Canadian base spec) is Euro78,591 - excluding taxes. And the Euro is Audi's global pricing currency, to avoid any confusion.

Which is CAD116,931.

So you are getting a CAD32,581 discount over the domestic German price. And Germany is the largest market for RS vehicles, to avoid any confusion. The base Canadian spec is actually great, if only they would lose the sunroof. And the standard exterior trim in Germany is black optics, with an up charge for matte aluminium. I prefer the German spec there. As for carbon fibre, buy a few decals if you must, no one could tell the difference from a metre or two away.

And you're crying in your beer? Cry me a river

Quick Reply: S5 vs RS5