Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 vs RS5

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
Glisse, since you're in Switzerland maybe you can explain something about their plates. I've watched WiZe1972's videos on his S5 SB and I noticed on Swiss plates you have the Swiss shield on the left, but what's with the Italian-looking shield on the right? Do different regions have a different shield on the right, like with French or German colors?

Do you know him? You know, since you're in the same country.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv6...lLM0QRINRb27Sg
Switzerland is small, but not that small

So no, I don't know him. He's only 45 minutes or so away in an adjoining region / canton / state to mine - I'm further south and have a nicer lake He seems like a good guy.

Sharp eye on the licence plates. As Superswiss said, the shield (it is a coat of arms) reflects the canton. But you have to be fairly dedicated to remember the 23 different coat of arm designs. The first two letters identify the canton. No idea why Neuchàtel is using the Italian flag colours - except that it came about as a result of a coup in the mid 19th century when they broke away from Prussian (what is now North/East areas of Germany). Funnily enough, he is speaking English with more of an Italian accent to my ear, although he has his MMI set to French. But no, the coat of arms doesn't signify French/German/Italian local language at all.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

You Swiss, with your fancy cars and fancy car knowledge. I see a trend.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
You Swiss, with your fancy cars and fancy car knowledge. I see a trend.
Hehe, we are a well educated and detail oriented people. The Swiss believe everybody has the right to a broad and excellent education that doesn't leave them in a pile of debt.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Switzerland is small, but not that small

So no, I don't know him. He's only 45 minutes or so away in an adjoining region / canton / state to mine - I'm further south and have a nicer lake He seems like a good guy.

Sharp eye on the licence plates. As Superswiss said, the shield (it is a coat of arms) reflects the canton. But you have to be fairly dedicated to remember the 23 different coat of arm designs. The first two letters identify the canton. No idea why Neuchàtel is using the Italian flag colours - except that it came about as a result of a coup in the mid 19th century when they broke away from Prussian (what is now North/East areas of Germany). Funnily enough, he is speaking English with more of an Italian accent to my ear, although he has his MMI set to French. But no, the coat of arms doesn't signify French/German/Italian local language at all.
Yea, the guy is fun to watch because of this interesting accent and good quality videos, and I did notice the French MMI which seems odd for him. I love the S5 engine sound he captured with his GoPro during a spirited drive, I watched that a couple of times. It’s funny I ordered my car while he barely had his S5 for a year, and by the time I get mine he already got rid of it and will be getting one of the first Model 3s in Switzerland. I’ll be really curious to see his Model 3 review because he loved his S5, his good bye video was actually quite emotional.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 482 Likes on 307 Posts

I have a 2019 RS5 SB. For the last 8 years I have been driving 2 different S4s (B8, B8.5). The S4 uses the same platform as the S5 so it's a fair comparison. While I have not owned a B9 S4 or S5, I was in a B9 S5 SB on a track driven by Audi Sport personnel. I also drove an RS7 and R8 on the same track, as well as my S4.

The old drag racing adage, "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" applies here. The S5 was very capable on the track under competent hands; however, the RS cars on the same track were in a different league. My B8.5 S4 had APR stage 2 (460 hp, 400 ft lbs torque) and it was fun on the track. It was heavier than the B9, but easily as fast or faster than a stock B9 S5. It also got through the corners as well as the B9 S5.

While similar to my APR-tuned S4 in advertised horsepower, the RS5 has much more aggressive acceleration. I believe it has more to do with the torque than the hp. But, an even bigger difference exists in the handling! My S4 had the sport differential and I never had an issue with under-steer. Perhaps it was the extra power from the APR tune, but it got around the corners well. However, the RS5 is a different animal in the corners. It is much flatter and more responsive. It is way more fun in the corners.

Regarding turbo-lag, it's hard to say. There is a lag at first, but it appears to be related more to the transmission than the engine. The transmission wants to down shift a lot, even for modest acceleration. I find it annoying. However, if the transmission is in manual mode, the response is more immediate. So, any lag might be related more to the transmission than the turbos. Personally, I prefer the behavior of the dual clutch transmission that was in the S4 but, reportedly, it could not handle the torque of the RS5.

Regarding drive modes, I have the adaptive suspension and steering. I like both. Dynamic is too firm for me on the street except for short periods. Comfort in Sport mode is OK as is Auto. You can fine-tune everything through Individual mode. Regarding the exhaust, I have the sport exhaust but don't really care for sound in Dynamic mode for the street. You may like it, but I prefer to be lower profile on the street. It's fine for the track, though.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt

Yea, the guy is fun to watch because of this interesting accent and good quality videos, and I did notice the French MMI which seems odd for him. I love the S5 engine sound he captured with his GoPro during a spirited drive, I watched that a couple of times. It’s funny I ordered my car while he barely had his S5 for a year, and by the time I get mine he already got rid of it and will be getting one of the first Model 3s in Switzerland. I’ll be really curious to see his Model 3 review because he loved his S5, his good bye video was actually quite emotional.
I did flick through his videos, he had some interesting stuff there. He seems to go through cars quickly, leases them apparently. His Tesla thing may be in part financial, as a Tesla 3 Performance is quite a lot cheaper than a decently equipped S5 in CH if he is paying retail. So perhaps he was trying to reduce his monthly payments? His enthusiasm is great, but he did seem to be regretting his decision to sell the S5 on that final drive
Old 02-26-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
I did flick through his videos, he had some interesting stuff there. He seems to go through cars quickly, leases them apparently. His Tesla thing may be in part financial, as a Tesla 3 Performance is quite a lot cheaper than a decently equipped S5 in CH if he is paying retail. So perhaps he was trying to reduce his monthly payments? His enthusiasm is great, but he did seem to be regretting his decision to sell the S5 on that final drive
Yes, he lost his job at one point and wanted to cut down car expenses. He says his Model 3 Performance works out cheaper to buy and own than the S5 in Switzerland. I priced a similar Model 3 in Canada and here it costs more than an S5 SB. Totally different design philosophy when it comes to the interior too. I see a bunch of Model 3's here, to me it's missing several things that make the S5 much more preferable.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
If you have the money, RS5.
This was my car yesterday, an S5. My Nardo Gray RS5 SB is on its way from Vegas. what led to the change of heart just after a few months? After a 15 min test drive through the toll ways and back roads, RS5 is definitely worth the extra cost. But I'm not in your shoes so if you are financially strapped, and want some extra ponies, yes the S5 makes more sense. No one should go under water on a car payment.

Last time with this beauty.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If money is no object, why stop at the SR5, shoot for the moon. How about a Bugatti.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
If money is no object, why stop at the SR5, shoot for the moon. How about a Bugatti.
The Urus seems like the ultimate RS car right now. Same parts bin, more hp.

Quick Reply: S5 vs RS5