Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Top view camera select and making it default

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is probably effecting every 2018 Q7. I can picture most people not complaining because they are not that familiar with their cars. My wife and a friend with a 2018 Prestige Q7 have never even tried ACC once, so they are probably not top-view camera experts either.

I don't mind since I have a loaner, and it is useful to get what amounts to a long-term test drive in another car that I may buy.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

My first post, I've owned my 2018 S5 Sportback Prestige for 3 days now. I had read these forums in advance of buying the car so I was aware of this issue.

Sure enough, same problem for me, SUPREMELY annoying as it's one of the big features we all PAID for going to the prestige trim level - but even more so because it's just a little software bug which should be an INCREDIBLY simple fix from Audi's side.
It also means that their Quality Control / QA is seriously lacking here as we can all see how common and repeatable the problem is, this is really basic stuff.

Anyway, just chiming in to lend more support to this, pretty silly.

Besides this, I'm incredibly happy with the car, so amazing in all other respects.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default PM Sent

Originally Posted by scoopman
Feel free to PM me video links, I'm happy to pile on Audi with owner complaints about an expensive option that they haven't performed basic QA on before releasing into thousands of cars.
I've sent you a PM on the at least 35 people on Audi World that have responded to the various threads on the Top View Camera problem.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi Says They Need to Rewrite the Software, Fix in the Future

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS

21September 2017
I received word today that after consulting with the Audi Technical Services people, my dealer's service department has ordered a new "5F" module for my 2018 S5 Cab. The part should arrive by Monday and with luck it will be installed the same day. When I get the vehicle back and have confirmed that this resolves the issue with the "bird's eye" camera not sticking, I will report back to this forum.

22September 2017
The new "5F" was installed and did not solve the problem. They are continuing to research the problem.

More as it develops.

26 September 2017
Regrettably there is still no resolution (nor one in sight). They have had my S5 Cab since 15 September and have known since 22 September that replacing the "5F" module did not fix the problem. The latest word is "we will continue to consult with the Audi Technical Services people".

Current Entry by AUDIQSS

27 September 2017
Just now received a call from my dealer. They said car is "ready for pickup, but not fixed." They have been told by Audi that a software fix is needed and that they have not yet written that new software. In other words, a fix is sometime in the future and that I will be notified when to bring the car back in to be "updated".
Old 09-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@SaffsDad, what dealer are you working with? I'm in touch with the Western Region people who are based in LA, would like to report to them what your dealer did if you don't mind so they can continue to connect the dots and fix their $%^#$ software.
After a day and a half, the issue returned on the Allroad vehicle. Thanks for the PM - I'm going to do as you suggested.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just picked up a 2018 Q5 prestige last night and we have this same issue. Thanks to the kind folks on this forum I bet once someone receives word of the software fix everyone will know - better info here than at the dealers!
Old 09-28-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Audi describes bug and work-around

This has just been sent to me from Audi in Germany:

"This concern is being investigated and will involve a SW update to correct. This concern occurs when the automatic Park Distance Control is activated and the forward view is displayed, (always a graphic view on right side of MMI) and then the vehicle being shut off. After a sleep cycle, the MMI stores the graphic view in memory. This also causes the setting in the MMI to change from camera to graphic view. To avoid this from happening, the customer would have to select reverse gear before shutting off the vehicle to force the overhead camera view to be displayed and incidentally stored in memory each time the vehicle is shut off during a PDC event. Make sure the setting in the MMI is set to camera before releasing the vehicle and advise the customer of the current operation and how to avoid the concern."

Audi advises there is no current time line for the SW solution for this concern at this time. Software can take 6 months or more to develop and release.

I'm going to try what they suggest now that they've described what the bug is and how it is triggered.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Doesn't Work

This has just been sent to me from Audi in Germany:

"This concern is being investigated and will involve a SW update to correct. This concern occurs when the automatic Park Distance Control is activated and the forward view is displayed, (always a graphic view on right side of MMI) and then the vehicle being shut off. After a sleep cycle, the MMI stores the graphic view in memory. This also causes the setting in the MMI to change from camera to graphic view. To avoid this from happening, the customer would have to select reverse gear before shutting off the vehicle to force the overhead camera view to be displayed and incidentally stored in memory each time the vehicle is shut off during a PDC event. Make sure the setting in the MMI is set to camera before releasing the vehicle and advise the customer of the current operation and how to avoid the concern."

Audi advises there is no current time line for the SW solution for this concern at this time. Software can take 6 months or more to develop and release.

I'm going to try what they suggest now that they've described what the bug is and how it is triggered.
Got my S5 Cab back today -- UNFIXED. The service adviser and service manager said the same tihing as above. It worked the first time, but after the vehicle went to sleep, it was back to the same old graphic mode. Guess we'll just have to wait the six months for our cars to work right.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve turned my car off with the reverse camera on and the forward camera... and I still have the camera view every time I start my car. 3 months and counting.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:29 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Ditto here as well, since 23 June.

Quick Reply: Top view camera select and making it default