Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Top view camera select and making it default

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
Emailed Audi and got a case number. This is what they had to say - "Per your initial email, I had an opportunity to review your VIN in our system. I can confirm that we are looking into a solution for the top view camera setting changes you are experiencing. This means that the concern has been identified by Audi of America for your particular VIN, and our engineers in Germany are working towards a resolution for this. In the meantime, I would suggest keeping in close contact with your authorized Audi dealership regarding this vehicle concern. This way, once the proper solution is available, they dealership can follow up with you to schedule an appointment"
I got that same response, word for word, yesterday.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I just confirmed the "Pending Service Solution" with my local dealer. He said that there's no ETA, but it was originally filed in November and he suspected that it was imminent. I asked if it was just a recognition of the defect or a commitment to fix it, and he said that they would definitely fix it if there was a PSS in the system.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope others have opened cases with Audi to help get this resolved and are just not posting.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My wife and I have both reported the problem to Audi as my 2018 A5 SB Prestige and her 2018 Q5 Prestige are suffering the same problem. Keeping fingers crossed a 'fix' will be out soon.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pmdaykin
My wife and I have both reported the problem to Audi as my 2018 A5 SB Prestige and her 2018 Q5 Prestige are suffering the same problem. Keeping fingers crossed a 'fix' will be out soon.
I asked the service guy to read the description of the Pending Service Solution and it exactly describes this issue. Something like 'top-down camera in parking aid intermittently returns from camera to graphic view'.

The more I investigate, I think it may be due to the fact that when the front sensors trigger and the parking display comes on, it's always in graphic mode and the option to switch to camera is missing from the right-button menu. If I toggle parking mode off and on, it sometimes goes back to camera, and the menu item is present. It makes me think that they forgot to add that menu item for the front sensor activation or perhaps it thinks it's a PP model and not a Prestige with 360 camera. Since the menu item is missing, I suspect that the setting itself may get a random or uninitialized value whenever the front sensors trigger.

In any case, I'm glad that it's in their system.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went in today for the airbag recall and mentioned the issue with the top-view camera as well as a weird issue where the side mirrors would BOTH go to their lowest position as soon as I opened the car door. Fortunately the side mirror issue stopped after about a week and numerous re-programming and setting the mirrors by me. The side mirrors had been working fine since I received the car in late May 2017.

I have a great dealership and service writer who actually took the time to read through all the TSBs to see if any addressed these issues. We also discussed that if I hadn't specifically brought up these issues they would not proactively do ANY software updates. I did find this at "truedelta" :

https://www.truedelta.com/Audi-A5-tsbs-17,2018 wish I could just read through them all, might be some nice clarifications of how things work - like the presense freak out that happened once when I first got the car.

P.S. I don't think MMI version has anything to do with these issues, mine remains that same as it was before these two updates.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbbobbb
I went in today for the airbag recall and mentioned the issue with the top-view camera as well as a weird issue where the side mirrors would BOTH go to their lowest position as soon as I opened the car door. Fortunately the side mirror issue stopped after about a week and numerous re-programming and setting the mirrors by me. The side mirrors had been working fine since I received the car in late May 2017.

I have a great dealership and service writer who actually took the time to read through all the TSBs to see if any addressed these issues. We also discussed that if I hadn't specifically brought up these issues they would not proactively do ANY software updates. I did find this at "truedelta" :

https://www.truedelta.com/Audi-A5-tsbs-17,2018 wish I could just read through them all, might be some nice clarifications of how things work - like the presense freak out that happened once when I first got the car.
Based on TrueDelta, it looks like the TSB that your service guy applied for the camera is this:

02/05/18 Electrical and Air Conditioning NHTSA ID: 10127797
TSB ID: A901779 2048517-
This bulletin contains a software update to correct when only the static outlines of the park aid are displayed.

Which doesn't seem to address our problem of the top view camera defaulting to Graphic Mode every time we start the car.

Last edited by freshpow78; 03-20-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by freshpow78
Based on TrueDelta, it looks like the TSB that your service guy applied for the camera is this:

02/05/18 Electrical and Air Conditioning NHTSA ID: 10127797
TSB ID: A901779 2048517-
This bulletin contains a software update to correct when only the static outlines of the park aid are displayed.

Which doesn't seem to address our problem of the top view camera defaulting to Graphic Mode every time we start the car.
Yeah, I kind of thought they were reaching a bit, I don't for the most part mind receiving software updates. I do like they were trying to help. I can tell no difference in the grid lines for the parking aid. No harm, no foul so far.

My top-view camera is one of the ones that works for awhile then decides to go back to the graphics only, ie, it is random to me.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bbbobbb
Yeah, I kind of thought they were reaching a bit, I don't for the most part mind receiving software updates. I do like they were trying to help. I can tell no difference in the grid lines for the parking aid. No harm, no foul so far.

My top-view camera is one of the ones that works for awhile then decides to go back to the graphics only, ie, it is random to me.

thats me as well. it'll work fine pulling out of my garage but then when i come to park at work it'll have reverted to graphic. completely random and annoying
Old 04-02-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

just called my local dealer and still no update... the f*** Audi!!

Quick Reply: Top view camera select and making it default