Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

What strange issues have you experienced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is going in (finally) tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see how they react when I give them the attached document and ask them to sign a copy stating they've received it. Was not able to list all these items when scheduling the service online.

I'm trying hard to not be completely disappointed in this car, but it seems that nearly every time I'm in the thing SOMETHING isn't right. Everything as small as dash vibrations to the windows getting jammed by the smallest amount of ice to the major errors such as the rear brake light and drive system malfunction error.
Attached Files
Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by TanStarfield
Car is going in (finally) tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see how they react when I give them the attached document and ask them to sign a copy stating they've received it. Was not able to list all these items when scheduling the service online.

I'm trying hard to not be completely disappointed in this car, but it seems that nearly every time I'm in the thing SOMETHING isn't right. Everything as small as dash vibrations to the windows getting jammed by the smallest amount of ice to the major errors such as the rear brake light and drive system malfunction error.
WOW, that is absurd for a new car, keep the forum updated on your results with the dealer, I hope you get some kind of satisfaction from Audi.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dropped it off at 7:30am. They just casually typed most of the items into the service screen without making a big deal about anything in particular. Made a comment about the "frozen windows" problem: "Yeah, we've had that here with some of the loaner cars. Just how they are. You have to run a credit card or something along the bottom seal of the window." I said "Really? Well even when it isn't frozen the driver's side window still hits the trim sometimes". "Ok, we'll look at it"....

Service manager called me around lunch time.
-Ordering a new crankshaft sensor. That was reporting the drive system malfunction error, and that explains why it started idling roughly when the error occurred.
-Ordering a new center brake light. Since it was occasionally causing an error, they are just replacing it. Hopefully that fixes that.
-Pushed back with the same comment about the windows being "normal" for these. I, again, stated that the window sticks when it barely drops below freezing, and that it still taps the trim even when it's not frozen. And that it makes a nasty clicking sound when it stuck like something inside is broken. They'll pull the door panel off to look.
-Asked for details about the windows changing direction when pressing the buttons, but didn't say what they were going to do about it.
-Said the exhaust tips didn't have any scratches on them, but then described where they looked. He didn't look around the inside lip where the scratches occurred from previous service.
-no top-down camera view when sensor is triggered is normal for this car. Not the same as the view that shows up when the car is put in reverse. This car is NOT having the problem where the setting isn't saving (like our Q7 and some other people report on the S5), but I wanted to ask that to be sure that specific view wasn't supposed to have the camera view.

Of course it got warm today and I don't think the vibrations are going to occur while they have the car now. Assuming it stays this way, I'm going to tell them that I'd like to bring the car in without an appointment as soon as I hear vibrations again. That's going to be the only way to reliably demonstrate them.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Here we go, had the car for a couple of weeks now:

1. Driver Seat - Front Lateral adjustment doesn't work, stuck on the bottom.
2. Sub-woofer - Rattles like crazy, can make it stop if I press on the trim, had to turn it down in MMI settings.
3. Sunroof/Headliner - Squeaks like a plastic on plastic rub, it's driving me insane, doesn't even have to be a bumpy road.
4. Side Airbag Recall - Not an issue, but part of the fix it list!

Going to wait a few more weeks before I take to the dealer just in case anything else pops up, hope I don't roll it over or get t-boned by then!
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little over 4k

drivers window doesn't roll all the way up after closing the door. (happened 2 times)
phantom lumbar inflation.
360 camera doesn't stay set
Window rolls down instead of up on occasion
Programmable button on wheel "*" loses it's programming.
I needed to pull fuse to program garage door opener

Overall I'm very happy as the few things are minor in my view and to be honest not unexpected given the technology.

Last edited by machz; 02-22-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had issues with their trunk not closing ? I have 900 miles on my A5 Sportback and when I press the button to close the trunk it beeps and does nothing and then I have press the button again and it then closes.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Have not had any issues for the first 3 months of ownership until about 2 weeks ago, now the security alarm sometimes starts sounding when approaching the locked cart. Weird, when I get within a few feet the car alarm goes off until I reach to the car to unlock it. Was happening intermittently but now almost at least once a day.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got my car back yesterday. They spent quite a bit of time tracking various things down, and even were OK with keeping the car one additional night in the hopes that the slightly cooler night would bring out the vibrations I hear when the car is cold. Here's a long summary of all the main points of the visit.
  • Center brake light malfunction warning. Has now happened 4-5 times, each time it’s occurred the sun was shining toward the back of the car while parked.
    • After reading the error, they tried and failed to locate any wiring issues. They replaced the entire center brake light. No new errors yet.
  • Driver's window not always retracting when door is opened, causing it to impact when closing the door. Happened multiple times, always when below freezing. Almost every time there's a transition from below to above freezing. Loud clicking in door when immobilized by ice as if something is broken or loose. Makes it difficult to safely close the door. Even when not stuck by ice, driver side window occasionally impacts trim.
    • They confirmed that the driver side window wasn’t opening as much as the others and sometimes was hitting trim. They couldn't recreate the clicking sound, but actually replaced the motor with one they “borrowed” from an A5 they had there and the window still didn’t move down as much as the others. They then ordered and replaced the motor control board after noting that the window control signal from the board was not the same as the other window. The new control board now lowers the window as much as the others when opening the door. No freezing temperatures in the near forecast so won’t be able to tell if this fixed it.
  • While sitting at idle, warning indicators came up on dash regarding Drive System Malfunction, engine speed limited, and engine started missing badly. After shutting down and restarting was OK, but smelled like hot plastic.
    • Computer logged an engine sync error. They talked with Audi tech and did some troubleshooting, wound up replacing the crankshaft position sensor. They ran some additional diagnostics. No errors currently being reported, so hopefully that was the cause.
  • Drivers and other windows often reverse direction or go the opposite direction than button pressed.
    • They couldn’t recreate, but may be related to control issue above.
  • Front windows immobilized easily by cold weather (not like any car I've owned in the past including junker cars from the 70's)
    • The weather warmed up this week, but this is likely related to the control issue above. Pretty frustrating, however, that they said “Ae have a few loaners that have this problem. All the cars with frameless windows have this issue. We just run something like a credit card along the trim at the bottom.” That’s a lame excuse. Shouldn’t have to run a credit card along the bottom of a window on a car that costs this much.
  • Need status update on speaker trim that was removed due to recall. This looks awful and a fix should have been in place before removing the trim previously. 2nd visit for this item.
    • “Not available yet.” I really wish they had told me that the new trim wasn’t available before the removed the “dangerous” trim.
  • Lumbar support randomly inflates while driving. Previously reported. Others seeing same intermittent problem. 2nd visit for this item.
    • They couldn’t recreate. They contacted Audi and said there were NO REPORTS OF THIS ISSUE. I know a lot of people on the forum here are saying they are also seeing it. PLEASE REPORT THE ISSUE IF YOU ARE SEEING THIS ISSUE!
  • Vibration in dash when temperatures drop. Gets louder the colder it gets. Sounds like it's coming from very far forward in the dash, similar to when ice makes noise under the windshield. Not affected by interior temperature of the car.
    • Temperature was warm this week, they couldn't recreate. They tightened the cross-bars that connectd to the firewall and said that sometimes they can make noise. We’ll see. No vibrations since I picked the car up.
  • Second Vibration in dash. Lower temperatures do seem to trigger it more, but this one changes based on internal car temperature. Sounds is coming from passenger side behind vent or glovebox.
    • Temperature was warm, they couldn’t recreate.
  • Last visit, I mentioned excessive carbon buildup on the chrome exhaust. Was told it was normal operation. Recently did a hand cleaning of the car the first time since it was in, and found gouges in the chrome exhaust tips. Either the technician used a screwdriver or sharp instrument to remove carbon, or there is serious corrosion occurring with the exhaust tips. Regardless of which of those two items, I’d like them replaced.
    • They pushed back on this one. Said that any wear they saw there was “normal”. I’m torn about this one and will post some pics when I get a chance to see if maybe I’m just being picky and others see the same thing.
  • No top-down camera view when front sensors triggered, and no way to enable that view. Based on our Q7 (which loses its settings...), I believe it's supposed to have the top-down view in this mode if it was set in the parking assist mode to use the camera view.
    • My operation is normal (not the problem others see where the setting doesn’t save). When the sensors are triggered it’s only supposed to show the graphic view. Camera view only supposed to show up when putting the car into reverse.
  • Intermittent problem where Android Auto disconnects and refuses to re-connect to car. This appears to be a problem with the car because it's only remedied after car has been shut off and had time to be fully "shut down". Switching phones does not fix this issue...only the car fully shutting down the system. This is not the same as the problem that occurs with a poorly performing USB-C cable, which is easy to recreate.
    • They couldn't recreate and no errors were reported in the system. This only happened once to me on a long trip, so maybe just a fluke.
  • 2/12 after walking in to get a to-go order, air conditioner on full power after re-starting car. Less than 1 minute from when I locked it, 33 degrees outside, definitely not warm enough to turn on a/c inside the car. Adjusted temperature and toggled auto with no change when on auto (fan slowed when in manual mode).
    • Couldn’t recreate, no errors reported. They said that high humidity can cause the system to do something similar to what I described.

Last edited by TanStarfield; 02-23-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my car back from the dealership, it seems my car was not programed properly, so its the reason why my trunk would not close on my A5 SB. Also I have a question does your Audi dealer charge for loners ? As of Feb 1st my dealer chargers 20.00 and it covers gas, wheel curbing & cracked windshield. I prefer to just fill the gas and return it, since I don't usually use the loner much.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

$20 for the gas alone is not bad to be honest. I once got a monster GLS loner from Mercedes and I swore I could watch the gas gauge slowly dwindle while driving it.

I'd also be interested to hear if that $20 charge is in practice country wide.

Quick Reply: What strange issues have you experienced?