Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wireless Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 579 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
What do you guys do for charging? Do you have the built-in charger, or do you put a Qi mat in the storage compartment?
You may want to consider the cradle approach. You get Android Auto or CarPlay and charge at the same time with easy phone in and out and no adapter to go wrong. With Android, you can even get it to auto start on the MMI upon sliding the phone in the cradle.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25405666
Old 01-08-2020, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
What do you guys do for charging? Do you have the built-in charger, or do you put a Qi mat in the storage compartment?
Audi put a wireless charger called Audi phone box in the storage since MY19. That’s why I would like to make my CarPlay wireless. It seems silly to have this wireless charger without the wireless CarPlay.
The following 2 users liked this post by stwus:
counterspy (01-09-2020), Tom E (01-09-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

So I gave up on coding. I doubt that my car would have a 5ghz WiFi to establish a wireless connection with Carplay. I ordered a Carlinkit. We will see if it works.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not possible in the B9 platform.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

It's rumored that Apple may remove all ports from the next iPhone. This will be a huge issue for plug in only Carplay. Someone has to figure out a robust solution.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:53 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by SolventSolution
It's rumored that Apple may remove all ports from the next iPhone. This will be a huge issue for plug in only Carplay. Someone has to figure out a robust solution.
That’s a very strong rumour — but that was / is Jony Ive’s design interpretation & vision. With him resigning as design chief, I can only hope that vision stays with him and Apple moves to a USB-C connector as its standard interface. For Apple to step away from their cable / interface $$$ business makes very little financial sense though the USB-C is a “standards-based” interface.

I just hope the powers that be do not continue to follow the “Less Is More” design philosophy of Mr. Ive.

Only time will tell.

— John
Old 01-17-2020, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah although I’ve heard the rumor, I just find it hard to believe they remove all ports. This would effectively get rid of CarPlay for so many users.

Although I’ve been pretty hardcore Apple, I would consider switching to android if my car couldn’t work with CarPlay. However with that being said, I’m still happy with the wireless adapter I have.

I think a switch to usb-c (like the new iPad Pro) is the more likely future
Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes, USB-C would be awesome.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jf1_
the SoC on the A270’s RF board only supports 2.4GHz regardless of how the wlan_5ghz_switch adaptation is set.
So there is someone on the A5/S5/RS5 FB group who is saying he got wireless car play to work on his 2019 RS5 by enabling 5Ghz in coding FWIW.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
That’s a very strong rumour — but that was / is Jony Ive’s design interpretation & vision. With him resigning as design chief, I can only hope that vision stays with him and Apple moves to a USB-C connector as its standard interface. For Apple to step away from their cable / interface $$$ business makes very little financial sense though the USB-C is a “standards-based” interface.

I just hope the powers that be do not continue to follow the “Less Is More” design philosophy of Mr. Ive.

Only time will tell.

— John
That's f'd up how they sell all the iPhones with cables that don't fit in any MacBooks. Although to be fair they make sure the only use for these cables these days is to charge the device. That's why I don't even care that my S5 only has USB-A, the car has its dedicated cables that stay plugged in all the time so it doesn't matter what type of cable it needs. You buy once and it lasts a few years. If Apple goes wireless then at least we can all get this Wireless CarPlay gizmo, for those of us who will keep the car for several years I think we're almost guaranteed to buy one down the road. Hopefully all the bugs will be worked out by then.

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay