Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Wireless Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

At this point, if the codes were applied and accepted, I think it’s a matter of hardware compatibility. Guess we will have to buy a dongle to make it wireless.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had back and forth emails with carlinkit. Updated firmware and sent logs for my audi. The stuttering for music seems to be fixed. There's still a 30-90 second delay for phone calls and siri access (anything with voice) that I'm hoping they can fix. They seemed really dedicated to fixing it, which I like. All reports are that the customer service is really good. If they can get this close to perfect, I'm going to buy one for my wife's car as well... :-)
Old 12-22-2019, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tom E
Just had back and forth emails with carlinkit. Updated firmware and sent logs for my audi. The stuttering for music seems to be fixed. There's still a 30-90 second delay for phone calls and siri access (anything with voice) that I'm hoping they can fix. They seemed really dedicated to fixing it, which I like. All reports are that the customer service is really good. If they can get this close to perfect, I'm going to buy one for my wife's car as well... :-)
Thanks for the update. When you say 30-90 second delay, you mean during a call?
Old 12-22-2019, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stwus
Thanks for the update. When you say 30-90 second delay, you mean during a call?
Yeah, sorry. Probably not that long. In fact, it's noticeable, but so slight that I have to have my wife count (we alternate numbers) to confirm it's there. 30-90 is too long. It's probably closer to 10-30 seconds. It really just sounds like the person on the other end is thinking for a sec, then speaking. Almost a complete non-issue. Almost. My wife had a Chrysler Town & Country and it's hands free was so awful that there really was a 90-120 second delay. This is not nearly like that. Again, it's almost hard to tell.

The one I got from Ebay is version 2. Version 2 allows you to connect your phone to the device and check for updates directly (pretty cool) and submit logs and issues, which I did. I suspect (and hope) that the issue is a tweak they need to do and that they'll release a firmware for it.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, sorry. Probably not that long. In fact, it's noticeable, but so slight that I have to have my wife count (we alternate numbers) to confirm it's there. 30-90 is too long. It's probably closer to 10-30 seconds. It really just sounds like the person on the other end is thinking for a sec, then speaking. Almost a complete non-issue. Almost. My wife had a Chrysler Town & Country and it's hands free was so awful that there really was a 90-120 second delay. This is not nearly like that. Again, it's almost hard to tell.

The one I got from Ebay is version 2. Version 2 allows you to connect your phone to the device and check for updates directly (pretty cool) and submit logs and issues, which I did. I suspect (and hope) that the issue is a tweak they need to do and that they'll release a firmware for it.

can you use Bluetooth for phone calls instead while in CarPlay in order to bypass this delay?
Old 12-23-2019, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

min-car hotspot is an additional subscription through Audi connect as well. However, wireless CarPlay should not require that.

yes but don’t the instructions for the coding say you have to join the car’s 5ghz wireless network. Doesn’t the car need to be broadcasting a wireless network for that and does that broadcast require hotspot?

i am trying to find the car’s wireless network but I can’t find it. Not broadcasting. Is there an MMI setting that will get the car to broadcast an SSID without a hotspot or connect subscription? Maybe that’s what missing here.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Amazon Amazon

decided to go through with it and purchase this one (which is probably the same thing Tom purchased from eBay). Hopefully things will be smooth, ill keep people updated, I would imagine I wont get it for a couple weeks
Old 12-23-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bobdolex
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

decided to go through with it and purchase this one (which is probably the same thing Tom purchased from eBay). Hopefully things will be smooth, ill keep people updated, I would imagine I wont get it for a couple weeks
Nice! I hope it works for you. Once it's set up and running, you can go to http://192.168.50.2 on your phone (while it's connected wirelessly) and update the device's firmware to the latest version.

can you use Bluetooth for phone calls instead while in CarPlay in order to bypass this delay?
Unfortunately, it's not possible. Can't connect via bluetooth while connected to CarPlay.

The following users liked this post:
bobdolex (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice! I hope it works for you. Once it's set up and running, you can go to http://192.168.50.2 on your phone (while it's connected wirelessly) and update the device's firmware to the latest version.

Unfortunately, it's not possible. Can't connect via bluetooth while connected to CarPlay.
i saw a video somewhere (re-stream app) about unchecking a setting in notification menu, because phone calls might have delay.

It’s like this. I wonder if it would work bypass CarPlay for phone calls?

Last edited by stwus; 12-23-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

i saw a video somewhere (re-stream app) about unchecking a setting in notification menu, because phone calls might have delay.

It’s like this. I wonder if it would work bypass CarPlay for phone calls?
I tried changing the notifiaction settings and it didn't matter. Still no phone outside of CarPlay which was a little delayed. I did update the fw last night and today, minor skipping in music (no more than using wired CarPlay without the adapter) and had two phone calls. Both had the delay, but the other person didn't seem to notice.

Still hopeful that a future fw release will fix this. Will keep you updated...

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay