Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Vibration woes... still no luck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration woes... still no luck.

It has been 10 weeks since I started addressing this issue.

Here is the update:

New parts: Driver's side (rotor, pads, raxle, tie-rod end, new pinch bolts, bearing) Passenger side (rotor, pads, bearing)

Vibration is strong at 20+mph and is not present when the car is on the lift, it is affected by weight and cornering, and sounds/feels like bearing or tires... but new bearings are in, and wheels and tires have been balanced, rotated etc...

I've had it at the indy for weeks, and he has tried all this and nothing has changed the vibration...

Dealer is 2 hours away and they had it and thought it was bearings and tie rods, I had the indy do both and nothing changed...

Basically I've gievn up hope. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this might have been mentioned before, but were the tires road forced?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default have you done any searching of this forum

There were a few who had AoA send a tech from Germany to resolve it.

If I recall, their solution was the entire steering rack.

In the worst cases AoA did a buy back of the car..granted it was under the new car warranty then.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have searched until I can search no more...

I've already purchased another car, and I'm just trying to fix this and sell it.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

RF has helped me in the past - but all the balance issues I've had were at well over 20mph (~40+).
Old 07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Vibration woes... still no luck.

This is interesting since all the part that would normally cause vibs, have been changed. I take it that the vibs are from the drivers front corner since most of the effectied parts have been replaced there. I wonder if something from the pass side is being transfered to the driver side where I presume the vibs have originated from. Agree, I would have thought after wheels/tires balancing then axles would be next followed by bearings. Bearings usually have a roaring or humming sound and generally show themselves after you let up off the gas while turning the wheel from side to side while coasting about 50-60 mph. Axles are usually felt under acceleration and turning, but lesson to almost zero while coasting (no pedal) or if no load. Of course I'll just take a shot and say, IMHO I think there's something with the axle. Though it's been replaced (although with a rebuilt one). You making note of weight and turning both having an affect, I can't see it being anything but the axle. Inner Driver perhaps? Maybe the part you have has failed already? Lastly, if you're mech can't find the source, consider getting a second person to check it out, then take to dealer after that.

The cause exist, the more mechanics who investigate it the more likely it'll be found.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Phil
Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Vibration woes... still no luck.

Perhaps it's an inner CV joint on the passenger side? Based on my experience these would be the symptoms:
1) The lower the car, the stronger the vibration.
2) Vibration is only upon acceleration or deceleration, not present at all while coasting.
3) When cornering hard to the left, the vibration gets stronger. When cornering the other way it gets weaker.

Best of luck.

-Josh
Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Steering rack?

I seem to remember someone here having AoA try some experimental steering rack to solve a vibration problem. that was a long time ago though so I dont remember who it was.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i think in FL this happened.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ... still no luck.

has the propshaft or any seals at trans or rear diff been worked on. propshaft alignment perhaps or something out of phase?

Quick Reply: Vibration woes... still no luck.