Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

The dreaded 'vehicle cannot be reached' error

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The dreaded 'vehicle cannot be reached' error

I'm getting vehicle cannot be reached errors from the app for the past couple of days. It is not because of bad cell coverage since it doesn't work even when near a tower. The weird thing is that retrieving vehicle status works OK, but when I try to do an action like locking or starting climate control I get this error. Any tips on how to resolve this? Reinstalling the app did not fix it.
The following users liked this post:
lkfoster (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Same here, it's getting annoying. How come the other German manufacturer's apps work all of the time?
Old 10-03-2020, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed the app updates the energy-usage of the last trip 99% without issues, so I think its not really bad cell coverage related as that info also needs to be send to the audi servers.
The past summer I've not been able to turn on the airconditioning in the car from the app, always getting "vehicle cannot be reached".
Had a couple times where it didn't show it was charging ... usually when it does show its charging it keeps updating the progress just fine ... but then oddly enough the command to precondition the car still results in a "vehicle cannot be reached"

It seems like the e-tron's electronics go into a deep-sleep mode within minutes after you turn off the car and just doesn't respond to incomming commands from the app. Earlier this week I discovered that when I do a unlock/lock from the keyfob to "wake up" the car (at work the car sits outside within keyfob-range from my desk ), the app can connect to the car and it accepts the command to precondition just fine.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yousufferbutwhy
I'm getting vehicle cannot be reached errors from the app for the past couple of days. It is not because of bad cell coverage since it doesn't work even when near a tower. The weird thing is that retrieving vehicle status works OK, but when I try to do an action like locking or starting climate control I get this error. Any tips on how to resolve this? Reinstalling the app did not fix it.
My app starting doing this about a week ago. Usually after a few days it resolves itself but this doesn't appear to be the case this time. I've tried uninstalling the app, rebooting the phone to no avail. If this persists I'm going to calling the support line on monday.
Anyone else experiencing the same issue? I get car updates just fine, but all push functions fail.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zero2prove
My app starting doing this about a week ago. Usually after a few days it resolves itself but this doesn't appear to be the case this time. I've tried uninstalling the app, rebooting the phone to no avail. If this persists I'm going to calling the support line on monday.
Anyone else experiencing the same issue? I get car updates just fine, but all push functions fail.
This is exactly what I'm getting too. It is not due to the comms module going to sleep. I left the car powered on and it still doesn't work.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I had exact issue last week. So I reached out to Audi customer care (via chat). They suggested to remove and add again key user profile on the car, and that resolved the issue immediately.
on 2 different incidents I have reached out to Audi CC, and they have been very helpful and addressed my issues on the spot. Kudos to them.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsedaei:
Tesla1856 (11-02-2020), yousufferbutwhy (10-04-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fsedaei
I had exact issue last week. So I reached out to Audi customer care (via chat). They suggested to remove and add again key user profile on the car, and that resolved the issue immediately.
on 2 different incidents I have reached out to Audi CC, and they have been very helpful and addressed my issues on the spot. Kudos to them.

Thank you; worked for me.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

To confirm, I need to remove and re-add the key user in the car MMI screen?
Old 10-04-2020, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To confirm, I need to remove and re-add the key user in the car MMI screen?
Yes - just be sure you have the ten letter vehicle code (see manual, p. 33).
Old 10-04-2020, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone mentioned this in a thread before but I can’t find it. I don’t have any problems now and have had the car over a year. BUT I don’t have my 10 digit code and have no clue where it is.

what should I do to get the code at this point? I am assuming I should not wait until I need it again.

Quick Reply: The dreaded 'vehicle cannot be reached' error