Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Loss of battery range (really, not GOM issue)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by critchie6
Finally have my E-tron back after being at the dealership for 3 weeks. Battery cell number 12 was dead. That limited the charging to 65%. One dead cell causes all the batteries to be limited so the voltage to each is balanced.
Three weeks! Yikes! I dropped mine off yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet. I am not looking forward to having to buy gas for that long. It would only hold about 30 miles of charge there at the end, so just glad I can drive anywhere for now.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped mine off on Tuesday (8/31). Dealer (Cary, NC) originally said they could not get me in until 9/9, but the range was dropping significantly every day....a full charge was giving me less than 70 miles. I live 30 miles from the dealer, and told them if I didn't bring it in soon, they were going to need to send a flatbed to get it. They fit me in next day, but could only give me a Q3 to drive. I'm fine with that....they do normally set me up with an e-Tron, but I'll take what I can get for now. Got a call back 2 days later saying there is definitely some bad cells in there, and it would take them "a while" to remove the battery, find the cell(s) and get them replaced. No commitment on timing, but they indicated it would be more than a week. The thing that troubles me most is that there was still no kind of warning or notification from the car that something was wrong....just the range getting worse and worse everyday....seems to me that some type of fault or error message should be displayed in a situation like this.
The following users liked this post:
Peachy3 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Peachy3
Three weeks! Yikes! I dropped mine off yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet. I am not looking forward to having to buy gas for that long. It would only hold about 30 miles of charge there at the end, so just glad I can drive anywhere for now.
I believe the issue is receiving a replacement battery and parts.
Since E-trons are still specialized vehicles and rather rare, once they identified the problem they had to order the part which likely had to come from Germany. I don't think they stock many of the E-Tron parts in the US.
For a common A4, Q5 or Q7, many of the parts are available in US warehouses.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dilzman
, but the range was dropping significantly every day....a full charge was giving me less than 70 miles. ... The thing that troubles me most is that there was still no kind of warning or notification from the car that something was wrong....just the range getting worse and worse everyday....seems to me that some type of fault or error message should be displayed in a situation like this.
That's what happened to mine. At first it was 90 miles (and I made an appointment for a couple weeks out), then a week later it was 60 miles, then the morning of my appointment it was only 30 miles. Luckily I only live a few miles from the dealer. (I was holding out for a loaner, my dealer doesn't do e-loaners at all.) Glad that it made it as long as it did.

I agree that some sort of fault notification would be nice.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BimmerCaddyAudi
I believe the issue is receiving a replacement battery and parts.
Since E-trons are still specialized vehicles and rather rare, once they identified the problem they had to order the part which likely had to come from Germany. I don't think they stock many of the E-Tron parts in the US.
For a common A4, Q5 or Q7, many of the parts are available in US warehouses.
Some of it is back-ordered too, while they continue to produce new cars. I have been waiting over a month so far on a windshield (+1 month shipping after it is made), and someone else has been waiting since April.

Just another piece of evidence that they are not supporting owners of this car like they should.
The following users liked this post:
DMD (09-05-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

I hate to say it but it may be that a bunch of us 2019 owners may start seeing battery issues due to an individual cell malfunctioning as others are posting about.

So far if I charge to 90% I am generally seeing a range in the morning of about 184 miles, and 204 miles if I charge to 100%.

Audi could well be another victim of LG battery issues; hope not!
Old 09-17-2021, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So they told me last Friday that the battery control module was faulty and that a high voltage cell was faulty (they send a video of the tech telling you all about the diagnosis, it's neat), but I haven't heard back from the service advisor telling me when it's going to be ready. I expect that this will be covered by warranty, and I have a Q3 loaner, but not super happy about driving an ICE car for who knows how long.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

@Peachy3 This sounds like the same problem I have. I was told very little as well, but it could take months for parts to arrive and the repair to be completed.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Peachy3
So they told me last Friday that the battery control module was faulty and that a high voltage cell was faulty (they send a video of the tech telling you all about the diagnosis, it's neat), but I haven't heard back from the service advisor telling me when it's going to be ready. I expect that this will be covered by warranty, and I have a Q3 loaner, but not super happy about driving an ICE car for who knows how long.
Ask for a better loaner car like a Q7/Q8 or A6/A8.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

If you have Audi Financing can you stop payments or at least pay a reduced price bc of the cheaper loaner?

Quick Reply: Loss of battery range (really, not GOM issue)