Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

UK: Is anyone being hit by crazy insurance hikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk about timing! I've just received a letter from Direct Line (in the UK) saying that they will not be offering to renew my insurance. Yikes!!
Old 10-03-2023, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Really interesting. In the NYC area, I have a Porsche Taycan 4S and an Audi eTron S Sportback. My six-month premiums are

Porsche: $602
Audi: $790

These are full coverage plans with $1K deductibles.

For comparison, my son's Hyundai has a premium of $1020.79.

I was originally thinking of selling my son's car, which he no longer uses while away at school, but I now wonder if that would ratchet up my premiums on my other cars by even more than I would save.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:54 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Yes, I have seen big price hikes..

2021 e-tron renewed at $773 for 6 mo w/$500 deductible. This is with fairly high coverage limits. The premium was less than $600 until 2023.
I bought a new 2023 Rivian R1T dual motor last week and it was $993 for the same coverage
Old 10-03-2023, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
Yes, I have seen big price hikes..

2021 e-tron renewed at $773 for 6 mo w/$500 deductible. This is with fairly high coverage limits. The premium was less than $600 until 2023.
I bought a new 2023 Rivian R1T dual motor last week and it was $993 for the same coverage
Like Tesla, Rivian vehicles are notorious for having issues with high collision repair costs due to the way the body panels are designed. Insurers are getting wise to this and they are raising their rates accordingly. It's spilling over to extended warranty costs as insurers collect more data on the true cost of keeping EV's on the road. I plan to get an extended warranty for my etron, but now I'm thinking about buying it soon even though I have only owned the car for 14 months. I am concerned that if I wait another couple of years extended warranties will either be prohibitively expensive or not offered at all.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
Zipcodes play a big part in how car insurance rates are set in California. That AAA quote is really high, but that's also for two mid-priced German cars that are both expensive to repair. I'm guessing that you are in an urban area as well. Zipcodes that lie within an urban area tend to be at least 30% higher than other parts of the state. The '17 Honda Accord Hybrid doesn't put much of a dent in the insurance bill. It's mostly about the etron, but I was a bit surprised (in a good way) when my insurance agent quoted me the price for adding it when I bought it last summer. I thought it would be higher.
I removed the Mercedes just to see the price difference and they quoted me the same price lmfao. Im gonna call and see what they say. But yea im in Los Angeles, so you can classify the whole city as urban, but it shouldn't be this much of a difference when comparing rates. Im shocked Sacramento is that much cheaper then LA, curious to see what other SoCal drivers are paying. Zip code income is making it jump as well, Median household income in my old zipcode was 164k, compared to just 80k in my current zip. I would have thought having a house and my own parking garage would bring the price down but it some how went way up.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by geeplus
I removed the Mercedes just to see the price difference and they quoted me the same price lmfao. Im gonna call and see what they say. But yea im in Los Angeles, so you can classify the whole city as urban, but it shouldn't be this much of a difference when comparing rates. Im shocked Sacramento is that much cheaper then LA, curious to see what other SoCal drivers are paying. Zip code income is making it jump as well, Median household income in my old zipcode was 164k, compared to just 80k in my current zip. I would have thought having a house and my own parking garage would bring the price down but it some how went way up.
Sacramento proper isn't much cheaper than LA, and might even be more expensive in some cases. I live near Sacramento, but I'm not in Sacramento County. I'm in a more rural zipcode and my insurance is a lot less than what it would be if I lived a few more exits down the freeway. I used to live in Sacramento while I was in college, and when I moved after I was done my car insurance premium dropped by 30%. This town is notorious for it's high rate of traffic accidents. Two of the worst intersections in the state for traffic accidents are in Sacramento, and if you are a pedestrian you had better watch out. Pedestrians get run over all the time. Cyclists are prey as well. I see it in the news just about every day.

Anyway, yes, call AAA and get a quote from an actual human. I have had good experiences with them, and the level of service is pretty good.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Just renewed the Audi and the American wife's AMG Merc. No real change with State Farm in Arizona. Merc was $700/6 months and the Audi $650, both with $250/500 deductible. It helps being OAP (Old Age Pensioner) age for the yanks.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by lkfoster
Just renewed the Audi and the American wife's AMG Merc. No real change with State Farm in Arizona. Merc was $700/6 months and the Audi $650, both with $250/500 deductible. It helps being OAP (Old Age Pensioner) age for the yanks.
You have a wife in two different countries? lol
Old 10-03-2023, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have State Farm in the Seattle area and my 6 month premium is $589 with a $250 deductible. Our Lexus NX we traded in was $250 for 6 months.

for comparison my 2021 Jeep is $440 for 6 months.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
Sacramento proper isn't much cheaper than LA, and might even be more expensive in some cases. I live near Sacramento, but I'm not in Sacramento County. I'm in a more rural zipcode and my insurance is a lot less than what it would be if I lived a few more exits down the freeway. I used to live in Sacramento while I was in college, and when I moved after I was done my car insurance premium dropped by 30%. This town is notorious for it's high rate of traffic accidents. Two of the worst intersections in the state for traffic accidents are in Sacramento, and if you are a pedestrian you had better watch out. Pedestrians get run over all the time. Cyclists are prey as well. I see it in the news just about every day.

Anyway, yes, call AAA and get a quote from an actual human. I have had good experiences with them, and the level of service is pretty good.
Just got off the phone with an agent, he quoted 6084 for 12 months, which is almost 2k more then what im currently paying lol. Thats the price with Home insurance bundled. I literally got the same price with 1 car that I did with 2. My wifes 2020 E class only has 9700 miles in 3.5 years as well.

Quick Reply: UK: Is anyone being hit by crazy insurance hikes?