Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Radio Security Code w/o VIN?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Security Code w/o VIN?

My original radio has given up the ghost, and I was able to pick up another OEM Audi Delta am/fm cassette head unit... apparently in good working order. I was given the security code, but it did not seem to work (I double checked the security code entry procedure twice!). So obviously I don't have the correct security code? Is there any way to find out what the security code is with only the radio serial number? As I don't know the VIN of the original car that it came from. The person I got the radio from was fairly sure the code he provided was correct, but does not have the original car's VIN.

Thanks,
Brent.
1997 Pearl S6 (Canadian)
Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Suggest that you drive your car to an Audi dealership and explain the situation. When they see you have the car, they might be able to pull the code up from the Serial No. on the Delta.

BTW, where are you in Canada? We have an UrS-car club in Vancouver and there are branch members in Edmonton, Calgary and Saskatchewan.

Dave F.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You may find that just getting a new one from Prime may be easiest and cheapest route. You should pursue a return of this one to the seller. This should link to the $25 sale items, new and refurbished at this Audi dealer.

http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/c...?cPath=309_304
Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the good replies... I will see where it takes me! I didn't pay anything for the replacement Delta, it was just sitting around at my mechanics shop and it had the sec-code written on it! He says when they dismantle wrecked cars, that is one of the steps that they normally do -- get the sec-code and write it directly on the head unit. Who knows, they could have crossed 2 digits or might have been doing a few at once and got them mixed up? Anything is possible!

I am located in Whitby, Ontario. This is my second urS4/S6... I originally had a '92 urS4 Black. If you're watching Canada's Worst Drivers, one of the tech-hands on that show, now owns my old Black S4, you can see it on the set once and awhile!

Thanks,
Brent.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You know the drill. Let it set with power on the head unit so safe it lit up. That takes an hour to give you two more tries, etc. And, the first # is always 0 or 1. If you bought my radio, that is where code would be - on the head unit metal with a magic marker.

If the replacement head unit does not have a code installed yet, best not to ever install one.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97urS6
My original radio has given up the ghost, and I was able to pick up another OEM Audi Delta am/fm cassette head unit... apparently in good working order. I was given the security code, but it did not seem to work (I double checked the security code entry procedure twice!). So obviously I don't have the correct security code? Is there any way to find out what the security code is with only the radio serial number? As I don't know the VIN of the original car that it came from. The person I got the radio from was fairly sure the code he provided was correct, but does not have the original car's VIN.

Thanks,
Brent.
1997 Pearl S6 (Canadian)
Hi Brent, noticed in your post you own a 97 (and I guess also from your ID...LOL). Take a minute if you get a chance and check out my project page, would love to have you on the list for the database......
http://members.shaw.ca/speedtek/1997...0Database.html
Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

You have mail.

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you didn't find it yet my buddy at the dealer should be able to get it. Just don't know how it works with Canadian cars but it should all be the same system.