Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Harsh Downshifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The only way i have been able to reduce the harsh downshift during stopping is to switch the transmission to Sport mode. The ECU programming for downshifting in Sport mode is different and it does not seem to skip a gear during downshift like in "Drive" mode. I agree it is annoying and also my only complaint with this spectacular automobile.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I definitely notice it when coming to a stop in my rsq8. Pretty sure it only happens when in S mode. In D mode things seem pretty smooth.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone tried playing around with OBDeleven transmission settings to see if harsh downshifts can be corrected??
Old 09-29-2021, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 798 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by tbash
Has anyone tried playing around with OBDeleven transmission settings to see if harsh downshifts can be corrected??
Wow, that would be very brave.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by retom
Wow, that would be very brave.
I have ordered an OBDEleven Pro. Will try playing with transmission adaptations and see what happens. Will stay clear of the long coding stuff. Certainly scary, but worth a try. This downshifting is seriously pissing me off.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 798 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by tbash
I have ordered an OBDEleven Pro. Will try playing with transmission adaptations and see what happens. Will stay clear of the long coding stuff. Certainly scary, but worth a try. This downshifting is seriously pissing me off.
Your car, your OBD11, your risk.
I hope that I know a little bit about coding of Audi controllers since I have been doing it for years using VCP or ODIS. However, there are drivers that I do not touch because with some you can get into a lot of trouble by experimenting with them and in others, these responsible for security every mistake could be simply dangerous. IMO coding and adaptations of controllers responsible for the engine, transmission or security systems could be done by professionals, specializing in VAG cars, having professional equipment (and with all due respect, but this is not OBD11 even in Pro version) and having access to the latest versions of Audi software.
But as I wrote in the first sentence ...
However, if you feel able to do it with OBD11, please share with us the results of your attempts because here on this forum there are many who are looking for a solution of the harsh downshifts. Be careful, we will keep our fingers crossed.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about the harsh down shifting back in April right after I had purchased a pre-owned, fully loaded Q8 prestige with luxury, cold weather, tow, black optic and s line packages. Absolutely beautiful looking car. After many trips to the dealer to address the harsh downshifting issue , along with various other lagging/driving issues, nothing had changed. They acknowledged the car was driving a little "jerky", but, said there is nothing that they could do about it and that that was how the car was suppose to drive. I kept the car for almost 6 months and did my best to love it, but, just couldn't get over the constant herky jerky feeling every time I drove it. Waaaaaay too much money to spend on a car that I did not enjoy driving. I sold it last month and fortunately got quite a bit more out of it than what I paid for it. Ironically enough, I sold it to one of my local dealerships who's GM saw my add on craigslist's and gave me what I was asking. Win win for both of us I suppose.

Good luck to everyone

Old 01-05-2022, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by retom
Your car, your OBD11, your risk.
I hope that I know a little bit about coding of Audi controllers since I have been doing it for years using VCP or ODIS. However, there are drivers that I do not touch because with some you can get into a lot of trouble by experimenting with them and in others, these responsible for security every mistake could be simply dangerous. IMO coding and adaptations of controllers responsible for the engine, transmission or security systems could be done by professionals, specializing in VAG cars, having professional equipment (and with all due respect, but this is not OBD11 even in Pro version) and having access to the latest versions of Audi software.
But as I wrote in the first sentence ...
However, if you feel able to do it with OBD11, please share with us the results of your attempts because here on this forum there are many who are looking for a solution of the harsh downshifts. Be careful, we will keep our fingers crossed.

Been a while since there's been any activity on this issue. Thought I'd give an update.

I bought an OBD 11. At first just played with DRLs, steering wheel heat etc. Its a neat tool. After gaining some confidence, I was able to go into transmission core settings and 'reset all adaptions' and 'reset transmission', which I think means in OBD11 means restore to default. I also enabled 'show gear number d/s' which enabled me to keep eye on the shifts without having to shift to manual. I have noticed a 60% improvement. Previously it would shift, invariably, from 5 -->3 while decelerating resulting in a predicable jolt of deceleration a few seconds before the car came to a stop (annoying af!!!). After 'resetting the transmission' and all the adaptions, the car now actually does engage 4th gear while decelerating resulting in smoother downshifts. It still has a tendency to do the 5-->3 shift under harder breaking situations but its more tolerable in those situations. The Upshifting appears smoother as well and tends to keep more in the higher gears while driving (30mph with 6-7th gear). I had the car at the dealership for service yesterday and asked them to re-flash the TCU and ECU. They told me they did I think they pulled a fast one cause I have nothing in my notes about it . Overall car feels the same as post obd11 reset which was few days prior.
Important to follow the voodoo ritual which is a car on level ground, certain transmission fluid temp, hood open, car on, ignition off, 'maybe' brake pressure, candles and a Ouija board. Interestingly can hear some noises in the underbelly of the car while the juices are flowing prompting instant chest discomfort and labored breathing!

I wonder if it is a mal adaption that the car learns when its been sitting in the dealer lot for a while possibly has to do with this mild 48vh system regen braking algorithm getting jacked up on test drives?? But these are just ramblings of a mad man.

In conclusion I'm happy with results and would recommend it. I am aware that it worked for me but may not for others. Also not responsible for what you do to your car. As the gentleman above said 'your car, your risk'. Good luck!!
The following 2 users liked this post by tbash:
BRITinUS (01-06-2022), jcitriniti (01-06-2022)