Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Map Display

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Map Display

We've had the Q8 for about six months and for the most part think it's a great vehicle. I am annoyed by the throttle lag and hope there will be fix for it. However, I am also having an issue with the google maps display losing detail and wondered if anyone else had this issue and could shed some light on it for me.

When starting out the display will be sharp and detailed but after about 10 minutes it will lose all background detail (see photos). This doesn't happen every time but seems to be happening more often now.

Anybody know what's up with this thing?

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:17 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

It looks like it is updating/downloading new visual data. The first 10 minutes might be cached. If you wait in one place for a while with good LTE coverage does it improve?
Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Can't really say as we haven't stayed stationary once it starts. It may take approx 20 minutes before it starts and then will stay that way for an hour plus. After arriving at the destination and turning the vehicle off for a while it will come back to a normal display.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:48 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by usnaviator
Can't really say as we haven't stayed stationary once it starts. It may take approx 20 minutes before it starts and then will stay that way for an hour plus. After arriving at the destination and turning the vehicle off for a while it will come back to a normal display.
Yeah overall it looks like the system is still slow to load images even with 4G. You are basically driving faster than the images can load and after you stop it can get the images of that local and keep them in cache fro a bit. Might be one of the reasons Audi is abandoning Google maps overlay soon.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think you're right. The dealership called a few minutes ago to tell me there were some system wide issues that Audi was working on and this was likely a result of that. Hopefully it will get sorted out in the next couple of days.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This happens pretty regularly if you do not have a strong cell signal or if the bandwidth is low. Also, i have noticed that the "ONLINE" symbol in the lower left of the cockpit cluster is sometimes absent. Not sure if that is tied to the delay in Google map updates. I have one other issue. Why do they need to have all that copyright text overlaying the Google maps right in top middle of the screen (i.e. right where you are headed). They could easily put all that text in the upper left or right of the instrument cluster. Silly oversight in my opinion as it reduces the visible region in the direction of travel.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The ONLINE symbol is a mystery to me. I tried researching what it did and when it would come on but didn't have much luck.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You are correct with bandwidth speed is interfering with the download. The online indicator states that the online features of my audi are fully operational - google map overlay and traffic information. If the symbol is not seen, then there is limited bandwidth and have marginal download. My Audi has been down more than up in the past week or so. Audi Germany is troubleshooting the problem.
The following users liked this post:
usnaviator (10-30-2019)