Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the sky is falling over Audi

Old 12-29-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchased mine yesterday, my dealer checking inventory out 350 miles (mid atlantic) and getting one with specific options can be difficult to find. Buyers at this price level want exactly the things they want so until inventory gets to a level where the buyer can get what they want, sales will suffer.

However, my dealer had 4 (sold mine and another last week). 2 left with 3 in pipeline through March.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is funny. The reason a guy continues to think and talk about an ex-girlfriend incessantly is usually because he hasn't gotten over her. You must really want the Q8 lol.

Speaking of discounts, the Q8 is still being discounted only mildly. Meanwhile, when I was shopping for the Q8 I was offered 13% off a Q7, still didn't take it. It's a good car but it's basically a station wagon in high heels. I get it, it's a better "value", and maybe that's true, but value is oftentimes measured by how much someone is willing to pay for something, and based on their respective prices and current discounts, the Q8 must be the greater value
Old 12-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SammyH
This is funny. The reason a guy continues to think and talk about an ex-girlfriend incessantly is usually because he hasn't gotten over her. You must really want the Q8 lol.
This is exactly what I was thinking. He's really trying to justify buying a Q7 over a Q8 to himself

Speaking of discounts, the Q8 is still being discounted only mildly. Meanwhile, when I was shopping for the Q8 I was offered 13% off a Q7, still didn't take it. It's a good car but it's basically a station wagon in high heels. I get it, it's a better "value", and maybe that's true, but value is oftentimes measured by how much someone is willing to pay for something, and based on their respective prices and current discounts, the Q8 must be the greater value
The Q7 is a great car, but I'm in the same boat. I want something that is larger than a Q5, but smaller than a Q7.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed, the Q7 is a great car...if I had a wife and 3 kids. But having none of those, I wouldn't consider it no matter the value proposition. It's amazing that with all the CUVs and SUVs out there and all the 'sport' versions of them, there really isn't much that is mid-size, good performance, and attractive looks. At least not at a reasonable price. The Q8 is definitely not perfect, but I think it's the best of the bunch.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Firstly, none of this should surprise anyone.

1) Interest rates are not what they used to be. Here in Canada, I could finance a 2018 A8 for 1.9%, and the 2019 A8 is at 4.9%, with the latter with no dealer incentives as it's a new model. The same is true for any Q8 in Canada.
2) These are brand new cars. People know to avoid brand new cars due to horrible reliability.
3) Audi is guilty of doing what every carmaker does for their first year cars which is to overbuy in order to have more availability for prospective customers.

I expect summer 2019/fall 2019 to have good deals to get these cars off of the lot, and then Audi will be more careful in their inventory for dealer cars for the MY20 year.

Nothing I have said above is specific to Audi or the Q8.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Then it sounds like they are not properly setting the expectation to the customer, not discounting them, or both. Or that region doesn't want it yet, or a combination of things. These things happen.
What I've been told, and by the largest Audi dealer, is half of those coming to get a Q8, get a Q7...
Old 12-29-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
What I've been told, and by the largest Audi dealer, is half of those coming to get a Q8, get a Q7...
I’m always curious to know who these people are. Looking at a Q8 I would never look at a Q7 as an alternative... it would be A7, or some SB/Coupe variant of another brand. Just like the talk about cross shopping a X5 and Q8... like how do you do tha outside of being new vehicle releases. You’re talking niche vs everyday practical.

Im in my mid 30’s, so maybe age has something to do with it.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not sure it’s wise to jump to conclusions based on data from a few dealerships in one region....
Old 12-29-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by riazah
I am not sure it’s wise to jump to conclusions based on data from a few dealerships in one region....
One of the dealerships is the largest Audi dealership in the world by size, and by volume the largest in the entire east coast of the US.

https://www.audinorthmiami.com/dealership/about.htm

Last edited by RJC 1; 12-29-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Q8's Continue To Build Up In Local Dealer Inventories