Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8's Continue To Build Up In Local Dealer Inventories

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rahrah215

I’m always curious to know who these people are. Looking at a Q8 I would never look at a Q7 as an alternative... it would be A7, or some SB/Coupe variant of another brand. Just like the talk about cross shopping a X5 and Q8... like how do you do tha outside of being new vehicle releases. You’re talking niche vs everyday practical.

Im in my mid 30’s, so maybe age has something to do with it.

What they have told me is those looking to get an 8 see the 7 and half change their mind after then checking it out and driving both...they just preceive a better value with the 7
Old 12-30-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJC 1
What I've been told, and by the largest Audi dealer, is half of those coming to get a Q8, get a Q7...
The Q7 can look like a bargain when you compare them price wise. So I'm not surprised you get people coming in to look at Q8 but deciding on Q7 for practicality.

It s a bit of choice for little less practicality for better styling and tech.

I just came from an 2016 V8 S6 so the Q8 was all the more practicality I needed (so the other 2 factors Q8 wins on are much more important).

If you hear from the other auto makers - sedans are not selling well and the market wants all crossover / SUV. The Q8 is probably much more for buyer like me wanting to move up from a sedan …. not the Q7 family hauler buyer. It definitely sits in a class that the Q5 and Q7 did not compete in. I think if any negative that is keeping sales lower in markets like Miami is the engine choice. The current engine is rather tame for this market segment - more horsepower or torque (diesel) in future models should help drive sales (as I think they nailed it on every single other area). The S6 wasn't my daily driver - if it was I would probably have had a problem pulling the trigger on the Q8 because of the engine choice.

Last edited by cbl1; 12-30-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
I have continued to notice many of our local S FL dealer inventories of Q8's are really starting to pile up with an average of 15-30+ unsold per dealer and have again been told they are not selling well....the hype is fading and the no discount stuff will soon be a distant memory even on YR-1's as we move forward in 2019.
My dealer inventory shows 11 Q8s, most are in transit. They actually have 2 at their site. Of the 11, 9 of the in transit Q8s are already sold, according to the dealer.

Back when they first began arriving, my dealer called me to let me know they had 2 new arrivals so I could test drive one. By the time I got to the dealer, both were already sold so I had to wait for a test drive until more arrived.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s more like what I am seeing in Virginia. I have a friend in south Florida who says engine power means a lot down there getting around the crazy drivers. I think the Miami issue is a more local issue
Old 12-30-2018, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a very location specific topic. Of course in places like the post above in Indiana the "in transit" allotment is going to be more sold out vs. larger markets. Here is So Cal, there are many Q8s sitting on dealer lots, you can pretty much find the spec you want and buy same day. The exception is year 1pkg as some of our fellow members have mentioned (and even some of those have been sitting here). Personally, I believe the larger markets are a better gauge of how this vehicle is truly doing demand wise, but time will tell. If over the next 6 months sales slump with the higher spec non year 1 pkg vehicles, you will likely be seeing more and more bare base Q8s at dealers so they can have a starting price beginning with a 6, thus possibly put the car in more perspective buyers driveways.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
This is a very location specific topic. Of course in places like the post above in Indiana the "in transit" allotment is going to be more sold out vs. larger markets. Here is So Cal, there are many Q8s sitting on dealer lots, you can pretty much find the spec you want and buy same day. The exception is year 1pkg as some of our fellow members have mentioned (and even some of those have been sitting here). Personally, I believe the larger markets are a better gauge of how this vehicle is truly doing demand wise, but time will tell. If over the next 6 months sales slump with the higher spec non year 1 pkg vehicles, you will likely be seeing more and more bare base Q8s at dealers so they can have a starting price beginning with a 6, thus possibly put the car in more perspective buyers driveways.
Yup
Old 12-30-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
I have a bunch of base Q8s. So far no one wants them. Our quickest selling one was $98k and most that we've sold are $80k+.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I have a bunch of base Q8s. So far no one wants them. Our quickest selling one was $98k and most that we've sold are $80k+.
It makes sense

If someone can afford a $70k vehicle, they would want to spend more and get one nicely equipped.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Sounds about right. If you're shopping in this price range, you want most of the options.

I've noticed the same phenomenon with Velars and Range Rover Sports. Dealers are struggling to sell the cheap looking lower-end trims.

Last edited by CipherKeys; 12-30-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:39 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was able to get ~12% off a fully loaded Y1.

Quick Reply: Q8's Continue To Build Up In Local Dealer Inventories