Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Tire dressing dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire dressing dilemma

Is is EVER OK to go ahead and use silicone based tire dressings? For example, if I know that by the time I need snows this fall my OEM Pirellis will be worn out and I won't care if they get cracked, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2002, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes it's ok, if you don't care about the side effects

Namely browning and cracking.

How long will it take for either too occur? Depends on how frequently you use silicone.

I've had silicone dressings used on my old car a few times over the years, never browned. Never had an issue with cracking. Of course, that was a few times over a few years. It wasn't once or twice month the frequency I use Meguiars Endurance).

So depending on how long you plan to keep the tires your using it on, it could, or won't be a problem.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so what's this I hear about Meguiar's Endurance - it's bad too? Then what to use instead?
Old 04-29-2002, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no, i was comparing silicone frequency used to how I use endurance

Endurance is OK, silicone is bad. Wasn't a good comparison in the way I worded it though
Old 04-29-2002, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I prefer not to use stuff with sylicone. Here's a link to your xposting...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/49342.phtml">Tire Dressing Discussion</a></li></ul>
Old 04-29-2002, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pete, I don't like to use this any more. I use tire dressing alot, once or twice per week. With

Endurance, it started to build up in the lettering on the tires, and attracted alot of dirt. I've since switched to One Grand ERV. Prefer it alot better. It penetrates the rubber and leaves a nice medium satin finish. Also, with repeated uses, it not only lasts longer, but even when the top coat does wash off (like here yesterday with the severe thunderstorms), since it's penetrated the rubber, the rubber itself, even untreated, has a basic flat matt shine. Very nice indead. Here's the link...<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/og_extrubbr_10229.html">One Grand ERV</a></li></ul>
Old 04-29-2002, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

but apparently Endurance contains silicone, so wouldn't it be bad too? ;-)
Old 04-29-2002, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks! Do you know if this stuff is available at local auto stores as well?
Old 04-29-2002, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well it has been discussed and consensus seems to be...

People have used it for years with no ill effects on tires. So whatever silicone is in it, is no big deal. Scientific eh :/
Old 04-29-2002, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default where you using the endurance that frequently as well?

I've been wondering why mine hasn't started to build up, but I don't do it every week. It usually last with enough "blackness" for me for 2 weeks, especially if i spray the tire down with some simple green on the off week. It's not shiny at all though, even though I'd like it to glimmer slightly. But perhaps thats why I havn't had it goop up on me. I also usually spray my tires with simple green every 2 or 3 weeks at the most, which helps remove some excess goop.

Quick Reply: Tire dressing dilemma