Canadian DMCA in the Parlament

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The problem with a rented phone is the lack of a data base with all your information.

If you only need the phone for personal use and infrequently at that, then a rental is best.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This might've been a last straw for MPAA, but the cause is different

They are just trying to keep things as they were, because they have no idea how to adapt to the new reality (I'm using MPAA and RIAA interchangeably).

<quote>
There's no one in the record industry that's a technologist.
That's a misconception writers make all the time, that the
record industry missed this. They didn't. They just didn't
know what to do. It's like if you were suddenly asked to
operate on your dog to remove his kidney.
</quote>

Doug Morris, CEO of Universal Music<ul><li><a href="http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/11/universal_music_ceo_doug_morris.html">http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/11/universal_music_ceo_doug_morris.html</a</li></ul>
Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the Coles Notes
Old 06-13-2008, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why should unlocking a phone you bought be illegal?

It doesn't matter if this bill is enforceable, we should not accept a bill that criminalizes behaviour that a large percentage of our society partakes. That's a very slippery slope to get on.

Even if you trust the current government to leave you alone, why should you feel secure that someday you will not wind up with a government that will pursue all of these illegal activities that are currently ignored? They should not be illegal in the first place.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default This is true...

...the record labels (and maybe even movie distribution companies) handling of this situation will go down in history as one of the biggest business blunders of all time. They are in the process of letting their industry be stolen out from under them, because of the simple strategic error that they believe their product is CDs, not music.

And they are blind to the fact that the consumer is in charge, and are becoming even more so with technological developments...you don't build a business by scaring or threatening your customers. You do it by offering something they want to buy.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If the movie industry was smart, they would be investing in server farms.

People's thirst for movies has not changed, it's just how they want it...

With everybody investing in nice LCD/plasma displays, home cinema sound that rivals "cinema cinema sound" and the ever-increasing data pipelines into our homes.... the notion of a theatre seems like a dinosaur.

While no encryption mechanism is truely "unbreakable" we are reaching a point where digital delivery of films on-demand and in a secure environment can be achieved.

I haven't been to a theatre in near 5 years and I really don't intend to go to another one. I'd sooner go to a drive-in (haven't been to one in about 16 years) than a theatre... not much I can't get at home that I can get in a theatre except for overpriced food and drink, loads of trailers and worrying about bad seats.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I didn't know Canada played such a central role. I know some places in Asia such as Malaysia

are hotbeds of pirated production.

That really puts rights advocates on their back foot.

The sad thing is as others note, it won't stop the problem - just like gun laws only apply to honest people.

On a different note, I think the majority of laws should have a time limit and then expire or require redrafting. In the rapidly changing world, so many laws are useless, inapplicable, or don't address the problem as it exists now. Maybe 10 years for civil laws. This would keep the legal code much more relevant, and lawmakers wouldn't have as much time to cook up totally new laws - they'd be redrafting "old" laws;-) Obviously there would need to be procedures to keep somebody from pushing a personal agenda, but it might help introduce some relevancy.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default One of the big problems Apple has had is taxation and borders. Every country and in some cases every

state/province has it's own slight variations.

So in the case of iTunes, it isn't that Apple doesn't want to deliver music to every place on the planet, but rather governments placing restrictions, stipulations, guarantees that people can't buy the same for less from Apple by visiting another country site, etc, on the delivery of content to their constituents. Every one is different. Every one must be negotiated. It's all new ground.

Movies are likely to be the same.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The high penetration of broadband in Canada and it's proximity to the US are a perfect recipe ;(
Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Makes sense.